The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

What have you fried recently??

Tonight I was working on the '50 and made a rookie mistake that's gonna set me back a few hundred bucks...

I wanted to get the starter kicked over so that i'd know if it was mating correctly, so i got the battery out, hooked up the + to the starter, and... here's the mistake... grounded to the frame. when i jumped the starter posts, it engaged, but didn't seem like it was working right. Made a call to Bob68327 for some "tech support" and about half way through the call i noticed smoke coming from the top of the motor. after a "oh chit!" i jumped to undo the battery (while dropping my phone) and got it unhooked.

At first i thought the wiring harness was toast since smoke was coming from both the engine and from under the dash. none of the wires under the dash felt hot though. Then i looked at my engine to see my new lokar throttle cable smokin'. It was fried. so much so that it split when i tried to wiggle it free.

So that's all that fried... or so i thought....

15 or 20 min later i was on the phone with my brother talking about my F-up and i realized the front wheels wouldn't turn side to side when i pushed on the tire with my leg (whole truck is on jack stands). Then i grabbed the steering wheel. nothing, nadda, nu-uh. tugged a little more then i hear snap, crackle, pop!

Unfortunately none of my kids were behind me eating Rice Krispies. That was the guts of my new ididit column crunching as i turned the wheel. Not only did i now have about 1/4 turn of slop, but the steering shaft would move in and out of the column about 3/4".

So, 30 min of pulling the junk stuff out, and a quick call to Justin at Scott's Hot Rods and it's all history. New column should be here mid next week.

Basically what happened was, since i grounded to the frame, and did not have a ground strap to the block, it used the throttle cable and the steering column to find ground.

I just hope nothing else got fried in the process.

uhg...
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:11 AM   #2
red71c10
The Red Menace

Re: What have you fried recently??

Holy Crap!!! I don't know what to tell you except, well...Holy Crap!!!

"Driving is like coloring. Things get messy if you can't stay inside the lines."
red71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:33 AM   #3
hvychve
To The Levy

current has its mysterious ways of path , huh, can never have enough grounds, but telling you this now is sorta a slap in the face, not its intent, I would guess everyone on here that has worked on cars long enough has done a costly mistake atleast once, wont happen again,
Just for the record, I was doing a job on a late model capri, dash work to be exact, I was using a 1/4 inch air ratchet to remove bolts from defroster vent area and the screws got longer and wedged the ratchet between the dash and the window, needles to say it was a heads up display window, You know the one that displays the speedometer and such on the windshield for those lazy drivers who dont have the energy to look down at normal range to see there speed, needless to say, it cost me some beer money, around $800 bucks, hope this eases the pain a bit, i could go on and on, but really dont want to sound like a total screw up, we all have been there, buy new parts and be careful the next go round, add extra grounds, never can have too many.........
hvychve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I`ve fried oysters.They`re about out of season for the year nd had to have`em one more time.It`s steamin`time,now...crabs!!(and radiators)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
cdowns

an expensive lesson learned// it's the single most commonly neglected thing in about every vehicle build PROPER GROUNDING causes things electrical to work properly
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

other day i was swapping out alternators, and still had the pos. batt termindal hooked up!! well burnt some wirees and an alternator..i feel your paint bro.

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
brad_man_72
the boat guy

i made a 3 piece sbc crank.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

oh and i fried a old pioneer radio lol

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Ouch, sorry to hear that. The little things will get you sometimes.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
Skirkpat

Well I had a bad day yesterday also, I was rebuilding my air compresser pump( bent the crank moving it when a strap broke and the beltwheel hit the ground). It is a two cylinder Ingersoll Rand T-30, I almost had the new crank in and the rods bolted back together, and one of the pistons popped out the bottom of the bore. It has a taper that is supposed to squeze them back in, but I got in a hurry and hammerfisted it back in....Now I get to buy new COMPLETE set of rings, head gasket, and maybe a piston...Yeah, and I still don't get to use my compressor
Attached Images

Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
lurch115

so i have to ask....

i know the old rule that if you let the smoke out of wires they don't work anymore, but are you saying we need to add that if you let the smoke out of the throttle linkage that it also will not work anymore??

don't feel bad man, we've all made our share of mistakes similar to that.

the one i can think of that i did was not retorquing an aluminum rim again after driving 50 miles of mounting it.... cost me a rim, brand new tire, and alot of cussin' as i was on the side of a gravel road trying to beat the brake drum back on over bent studs...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you carry the wall with you."
'84 chevy half ton short box 2wd, 67,000 actual miles
'03 chevy 1500 HD crew cab 4x4 standard box, 6.0L
lurch115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

20 years ago I was working at a local trucking company as a lube tech/trainee. i drained the oil, changed the filters and went to lunch. while I was enjoying my Pizza Hut dinner the driver came in to get his truck and head out on his haul. he made it 2 miles before the engine let loose. now if I leave a vehicle without oil in it I either take the keys or place the dipstick through the key ring and lay it all in plain sight.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #13
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

That sucks Levi. Sorry to hear that. I had a good one this winter too. I went to look at an 84 ford diesel truck and I was putting batteries in it so I could try to start it. I had the LH battery in and hooked up and was hooking up the RH battery. As I hooked the positive cable up I melted the post to the battery right off. That is what I get for getting a hurry. I had the battery in the tray backwards and my positive cable just touched the negative terminal but had another battery's power behind it. Oops. That woke me up a little, and warmed me up a bit too.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #14
hchad18

Chicken? knock on wood.
hchad18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:44 PM   #15
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

Oh Levi...Levi...Levi

Not sure the last time I've fried something, at least like that. Sure I have at work, just can't think of it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
That sucks Levi. Sorry to hear that. I had a good one this winter too. I went to look at an 84 ford diesel truck and I was putting batteries in it so I could try to start it. I had the LH battery in and hooked up and was hooking up the RH battery. As I hooked the positive cable up I melted the post to the battery right off. That is what I get for getting a hurry. I had the battery in the tray backwards and my positive cable just touched the negative terminal but had another battery's power behind it. Oops. That woke me up a little, and warmed me up a bit too.
that sounds similar to how I've aquired my last 2 batteries for my '70. On the assembly line of a local implement manufacturer once in a while the guys would hook up a battery backwards. Even the smallest "defect" (in this case a very small arc spot on one of the terminals) and they won't use it. "You spend $200k on a piece of equipment and you expect everything to be perfect". They used the same battery in the propane forklifts, but if there were too many to be useful, they were scrapped. Thus how it ended up in my truck. Now you couldn't pay me to take one of these batteries, but I'm all about free. (taking money would be endorsing, and this company can't build a consumer battery to save their life. These OEM ones, I really can't say for sure, but this one is 2 years old and starting to go.)

Oh, yeah...I burned a control in a used charger a few weeks ago. Thought it was set for 480...............nope, only 240. Control transformers are not too fond of that. Those retrofit controls were junk anyway.

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

RED meat is not bad for you...FUZZY BLUE/GREEN MEAT is bad for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUILT FORD TOUGH WITH CHEVY STUFF--sticker at Goodguys
70C10Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote