The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
amcgeh01

Any interest in FabFours custom winch bumpers??

I wanted to see if anyone besides myself is interested in acquiring one of these beautiful custom fab'd bumpers that hide the winch very effectively..? If so, we need to collect some data first starting with the frame rail blueprints if possible of the 67-72 Chevy and GMC trucks, Jimmy’s, Blazers, 4x4's... If anyone has them could you please upload a set that shows the complete measurements and also include the fender to fender numbers as well..?

Matt at Fabfours will then see if they can find a way to modify the brackets or see what has to be done to accommodate it for a proper fit.. If you have viewed their pics on their site you will be impressed with the details and workmanship of them...

Sincerely,

- A.J.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Murphy IRE

Re: Any interest in FabFours custom winch bumpers??

I'll take some pictures of my set up. It's a std bumper with a hole cut into it for the rollers. It was retro'd with an old rear flip license plate (for the old gas tanks). You can hardly tell that I have an 8,000 lb winch behind the bumper . It's a Ramsey DCB-246. A lot less expensive alternative.
Murphy IRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Big-Blue

I would love one but they typically cost more than what I paid for my whole rig! They are great looking though!
Big-Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcgeh01 View Post
I wanted to see if anyone besides myself is interested in acquiring one of these beautiful custom fab'd bumpers that hide the winch very effectively..? If so, we need to collect some data first starting with the frame rail blueprints if possible of the 67-72 Chevy and GMC trucks, Jimmy’s, Blazers, 4x4's... If anyone has them could you please upload a set that shows the complete measurements and also include the fender to fender numbers as well..?

Matt at Fabfours will then see if they can find a way to modify the brackets or see what has to be done to accommodate it for a proper fit.. If you have viewed their pics on their site you will be impressed with the details and workmanship of them...

Sincerely,

- A.J.
Thanks for wasting my time
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
amcgeh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
Thanks for wasting my time
Hmm, Not sure what you mean Mike..? It is simply a survey to see or gauge the interest from people on the board to see if it's doable..? Cost seems to be the big issue thus far as it was brought up in two responses already so if there is a more economical way to do this then please make a suggestion..

- A.J.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcgeh01 View Post
Hmm, Not sure what you mean Mike..? It is simply a survey to see or gauge the interest from people on the board to see if it's doable..? Cost seems to be the big issue thus far as it was brought up in two responses already so if there is a more economical way to do this then please make a suggestion..

- A.J.

you PM'd me and did not read the response i guess

Last edited by mbgmike; 02-11-2010 at 08:23 PM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
amcgeh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
you PM'd me and did not read the response i guess
- Well, I originally pm'd you yesterday but I did not see a response this morning so I got overly anxious and called them directly.. Then posted what I found out on the survey.. He said there was not many calls for it so I thought I would go ahead and see if there was any interested parties out there.
-
- I then got your response saying you would think about it but what not sure if you meant you were going to do something directly or simply call them as I did.. Either way, I was not intent on wasting your time... Simply trying to find a means to an end.. I really like the bumpers and the design but they are costly I will admit... But LMC wants $600 for a new chrome one anyway so I figured I would give this a shot and see.. who knows maybe they need some business as well and can figure out a group buy or something where we can get the cost down... Just throwing ideas out there, that is all...

If it were me and business was slow, then I would be looking at other ways to move inventory and if creating a new modification meant opening up a new area and group of customers to sell in - why not..?

Another area that might interest people is locating a vendor who can put together the complete package for the Autometer gauges.. I have seen several designs floating around, Ryan Hubbard’s, No Limit Eng., etc and they are all unique but the Doggone Gauges and their prices make me sick because for me they are unobtainable right now.. With the billet plate you are looking at $200+ the 7 gauges I need come out to over $800.00 via fleabay - That's a grand right there.. Ridiculous and I will not pay that much.. Perhaps if someone had contacts with Autometer and could get a mass discount and then put them together and sell as a complete unit - I am positive there would be interested parties as long as it was kept at a reasonable cost range..
Old 02-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
Murphy IRE

Here are the pics
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
amcgeh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy IRE View Post
Here are the pics
Hey Murphy IRE,

That is really innovative...!! What were the specs on that winch and do you think other winches would fit in there as well or any you recommend.. The license plate thing is a requirement out here so that is an option... Thanks for taking your time to upload the pics.. Neato..
Old 02-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
Nova70

amc- I must say I like the way you think. I am in the same boat about some custom gauges, I want a set but the price is so steep... I'm thinking of getting the dakota digital because they're actually cheaper.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #11
Senator350

fuel for the fire...

DIY4X.com has made them for a while now :P
Old 02-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
amcgeh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova70 View Post
amc- I must say I like the way you think. I am in the same boat about some custom gauges, I want a set but the price is so steep... I'm thinking of getting the dakota digital because they're actually cheaper.
Hi Nova,

Believe it or not I had another grand idea in my sleep last night ( you know it drives you crazy when you start dreaming about this stuff LOL)... Anyways, I thought that since I am doing a conversion from a 2004 Silverado why can't we use the same gauges..? Obviously they are a completely different design but just look at these - they are beautiful and you can get one from a junkyard.. The only problem is how to make a template that will fit either over the original bezel or replace it that would be cut in the half circle shape... Personally I like them and you get a Trans temp gauge on the far left which all of us really want to have in order to monitor during pulling loads.. If anyone has the ability to design a simple billet or metal template and keep it cheap, then I would really love to hear from you...
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2010, 02:06 AM   #13
Murphy IRE

It's a ramsey winch. If you google that and then go to their DC-200 cut sheet, it will give you the measurements. It's a big winch so, I would imagine that a lot of winches willl fit!
Old 02-13-2010, 02:12 AM   #14
amcgeh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy IRE View Post
It's a ramsey winch. If you google that and then go to their DC-200 cut sheet, it will give you the measurements. It's a big winch so, I would imagine that a lot of winches willl fit!
OK, DO you have a rough sketch of how it's installed..? or maybe describe how you attached it.. Is it bolted to the frame, welded, etc.. Is there a mounting plate instead mounted onto the the frame horns..? Sorry to ask so many questions but just trying to figure how you did it since it's not viewable in the pics..

- A.J.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:21 AM   #15
Nova70

I've seen those gauges before. I've thought about doing some gauges out of a newer vehicle but I have no clue how I would do it if it's even possible.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:37 AM   #16
amcgeh01

Re: Any interest in FabFours custom winch bumpers or Gauges??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova70 View Post
I've seen those gauges before. I've thought about doing some gauges out of a newer vehicle but I have no clue how I would do it if it's even possible.
Hey Nova70,

I am glad I am not the only one..LOL.. * Are you running a newer engine such as I = thus the requirement for comp controlled gauges...? I am going to devote some time to this and see what I can come up with.. Do you have any fabricating friends..? Maybe we can figure out a game plan and see what happens.. I have ideas but unfortunately no tools as I got laid off in Sept so I am trying to spend my time effectively getting my truck together NOW....

Last edited by amcgeh01; 02-13-2010 at 03:41 AM.
amcgeh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #17
Murphy IRE

It is bolted to the frame using HD "L" brackets. See pics
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #18
amcgeh01

Ok, I see them now.. Yes, that is doable but I want to think some more on it first. I need to get under the truck and see how much room there is for a winch to fit in without having to alter the bumper height... Thanks again for getting those pics..
Old 02-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #19
Murphy IRE

I forgot there is a HD plate that is welded and bolted to the winch assembly and then the "L brackets attach that to the truck frame.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #20
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Here's a prior post dealing with modifying newer style bumpers to a 67-72 frame

link

Last edited by Yukon Jack; 02-14-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote