The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
Jim_PA

Re: Anyone have an opinion on Jet Performance carbs?

Just like any other performance carb (holley, edelbrock, BG, etc...), it will use a somewhat generic combination of air/fuel passage sizes so that it will work "pretty good" on a wide variety of performance engines. It's really nothing all that special, but should work OK, and look like new.

I would imagine the stages are like a 1, 2, and 3? -- all 3 just use a little different combination of passages and jets to get you in the ballpark.

I bolted the qjet on my junkyard 350 that I had self-tuned to my 400+ HP 350, and it seems to work pretty well without any changes.

I think the main thing with a qjet is they are generally emissions carbs, and are tuned specifically for the engine they came through on. Throw that onto something with even just headers and a cam swap, and will probably be missing out on a lot of the potential.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
JFP Motorsports Div

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
Just like any other performance carb (holley, edelbrock, BG, etc...), it will use a somewhat generic combination of air/fuel passage sizes so that it will work "pretty good" on a wide variety of performance engines. It's really nothing all that special, but should work OK, and look like new.

I would imagine the stages are like a 1, 2, and 3? -- all 3 just use a little different combination of passages and jets to get you in the ballpark.

I bolted the qjet on my junkyard 350 that I had self-tuned to my 400+ HP 350, and it seems to work pretty well without any changes.

I think the main thing with a qjet is they are generally emissions carbs, and are tuned specifically for the engine they came through on. Throw that onto something with even just headers and a cam swap, and will probably be missing out on a lot of the potential.
"generic combination of air fuel mixture"? A carburetor is a fine apparatus in it's own way and there is nothing "generic" about any carb, and it is not the same as a "new" Qjet- Anyways... to the question at hand.

YES the Jet Performance Qjet carbs are good, I am considering one for my truck, stage 2 as well........ HOWEVER, if you want a great Qjet carb.... buy a SEAN MURPHY Qjet, which is what I will eventually get. You can order by stages or you can have it custom built to meet your exact application.
JFP Motorsports Div is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
Jim_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP Motorsports Div View Post
"generic combination of air fuel mixture"? A carburetor is a fine apparatus in it's own way and there is nothing "generic" about any carb, and it is not the same as a "new" Qjet- Anyways... to the question at hand.

YES the Jet Performance Qjet carbs are good, I am considering one for my truck, stage 2 as well........ HOWEVER, if you want a great Qjet carb.... buy a SEAN MURPHY Qjet, which is what I will eventually get. You can order by stages or you can have it custom built to meet your exact application.
Sean Murphy also sells generic carbs. Not only that, but you'll get whatever POS core he has available.

And yes, everything about an entry-level performance carb is generic. How many people play with air bleeds and idle restrictions?

Maybe you should re-read what I said, because you clearly don't get it.

Last edited by Jim_PA; 03-23-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

[QUOTE=Jim_PA;3876837] How many people play with air bleeds and idle restrictions?

QUOTE]

Why I do!!!!
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
Jim_PA

[quote=prostreetC-10;3879159]
Quote:
How many people play with air bleeds and idle restrictions?

QUOTE]

Why I do!!!!
Yeah, but you aren't the average joe blow who buys x carburetor from summit, bolts it on, plays with the jets, and walks away from it
Old 06-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
sean murphy

Quote:
Sean Murphy also sells generic carbs. Not only that, but you'll get whatever POS core he has available.

And yes, everything about an entry-level performance carb is generic. How many people play with air bleeds and idle restrictions?

Maybe you should re-read what I said, because you clearly don't get it.
Hi Jim. when did you visit my shop to see what I have available? you suggest that possibly a CCC Q-jet could be converted to use a vacuum operated power piston. The lack of the vacuum tower in the float bowl might be a serious hurdle to overcome...But who needs a system that constantly reacts to changes in MAP when you have fixed air bleeds, right?
Perhaps you might enlighten us all to purpose of the air bleed and how it effects carburetor function. being the air bleed master and all....
What was the name of your Company again?
sean murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean murphy View Post
Hi Jim. when did you visit my shop to see what I have available? you suggest that possibly a CCC Q-jet could be converted to use a vacuum operated power piston. The lack of the vacuum tower in the float bowl might be a serious hurdle to overcome...But who needs a system that constantly reacts to changes in MAP when you have fixed air bleeds, right?
Perhaps you might enlighten us all to purpose of the air bleed and how it effects carburetor function. being the air bleed master and all....
What was the name of your Company again?
Welcome to the forum Sean. I'm afraid your questions to Jim will go unanswered. Jim has not posted here since last august.

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote