The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2002, 01:58 AM   #1
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

Post Need opinion on complete BB value.

I'm no stranger to picking up parts & marketing them to make a $ to support my part of the hobby. I know chevy engines Big & small and all the numbers that make them important.BUT********* what is a complete 1971 402 out a 71 truck worth that needs only a bottom end rebuild. it is spotless clean as he already had it out once and detailed it. the heads were just done which is probably what made the bottom end go out. Nothing is hurt it just makes noises and i know the lousy piston skirts are probably cracked. It is complete and ORIGINAL from carb down. It has all the correct pulleys & P/S setup with reservoir, exhaust manifolds on it and i know that's what gives it some worth for someone looking to do a swap. I don't have it yet but he wants a wrecked 91 blazer i have and wants to put this engine towards the money. He of course thinks it is worth a lot but I am hesitant[his family owned the 71truck new]. I know there are plenty of people looking to go BB these days but they all seem to be leaning toward crate motors & street rod type hardware. I advertised a friend of mines complete UGLY 1977 BB454 truck here while back and got next to nothing in response. It was an original untouched underhood truck and I thought that would go just for the drivetrain.I JUST NEED SOME HONEST OPINIONS HERE. Am I following the trend the right way? BTW=I am not selling parts off of an engine I don't have yet.LOL thanx , DAVE
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 08:08 AM   #2
Jeff M.

Hey Dave, the deal here is the p/s and brakets are where the bucks are. A 402 that needs work is really not worth all that much. It's not like a #'s matching thing as it will more than likely be going into a small block truck. But figure a runner 402 that needs pistons and bored along with new bearings and the rest would be worth something around $500.00. Now add all the brakets and p/s setup you can add $150-$300. So, I would feel in the neighborhood of $800 would be tops and anything less would be a pretty good deal. This is just my personal opinion and good luck.

------------------
69 C-10 CST Short Fleet, Factory Air, BB427-crane rollers-edelbrock intake-lunati cam-ceramic coated headers-400 Auto-2400 stall-tilt-cruise-Tach & Vac Gagues, 4/6 drop, one piece side windows

My Truck Here!

Old 03-27-2002, 08:26 AM   #3
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

That is a pretty fair price appraisal. In the Midwest a BB is $500-750 for a rebuildable engine. Manifolds sell for $100 to 150/set, with the left being the one that is always cracked. The motor stands are another item that people need, $50 give or take. Power steering pump and brackets $100-200.
Now if that truck was a C-20 and they still have it around. There is a great chance it will have 3.54 gears in a Dana 60. I know there are people looking for that too. $300+ depending on condition.

------------------
1971 C-10 Suburban
1972 C-10 Suburban
1969 XL Galaxie Fastback
1968 Galaxie 500 Fastback
1974 SCOUT II

Montrose, Minnesota

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 11:30 AM   #4
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

Jeff M., Da-burb, even though I am mainly a 73-87 guy now they are the exact numbers i was thinking. I am totally capable of fixing the engine. I just found out today that he did have the bottom end COMPLETELY redone so that means it is already clean,new bearings & such with 2,000 miles on it . the sound he described is a typical piston slap and if all the bearings still look good. I could get some Hyper-U pistons & rings sreasonable and fix it . saying that it is fresh now and someone could hear it run on my test stand . what would the whole package be worth??, DO these engines use peanut port or normal oval port heads ? thanx again , DAVE

[This message has been edited by crossy (edited March 27, 2002).]
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 09:53 PM   #5
Johns70

thats what i give for my 396 with all the parts to put in my truck mounts rad. and all, now its down at the machine shop,its getting bored,resized rods,new reground crank, new forged pistons,cam and every thing else.bottom end alone is close to 700 dollars for parts and machine work. summit is the cheapest i found for pistons at 28 a piece.

------------------
project 70 chev swb 396bb th-400 373limited slip
Old 03-27-2002, 10:29 PM   #6
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

I don't think I would pay any more for that engine even if you did change out the pistons. I don't know if it is just me, but when I look at something that needs a rebuild I know what it will cost me down the road. When somebody tells me it was just rebuilt 2000 miles ago- I discount the value to fix all the things they didn't tell me about. Like the knurled pistons to quiet the piston slap and all the other assorted 'potential' hidden problems.

And by the way, they should have the oval ports. Many came with low performance "TRUCK" heads. It is easy to see, the word "truck" is cast right into the head. Still makes it a great truck engine, but not what the Chevelle and Camaro guys would want.

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 11:14 PM   #7
Jeff M.

I've got a '71 402 from a 1/2 ton pickup. It has 8.5 : 1 compression ratio. I'm not sure about those heads as I've never had it apart. I know it sure ran good in my truck for 25 years or so. Had about 80,000 miles and still ran great. Just had to play with something different for a while, hehe. If that engine still has the stock bore it would be a good base for whatever you want to do with it. But I've seen lots of big blocks that have been punched out .030-.060. Good luck.