The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #26
WAAF
Account Suspended

Re: The "bad" repro parts list. (buy at your own risk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbacker View Post
I purchased a fuel line (pump to carb) from the 3 letter restoration parts supplier and leaked so bad at the carb I was thankful it didn't catch the truck on fire.

After removing the line and inspecting (which i should have done before installation), the flare was poorly formed and not concentric.

It's one issue when you purchase products that do not meet your expectations b/c they're not cosmetically acceptable or have durability issue but when it becomes a safety related that's goes to a different level.
true but thats something you'd (well at least I would) check even on a new dealer/factory part..
WAAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #27
PHAT TONY

I'm not sure that calling things "re-pop" here will help anybody avoid poorly made products as it's ALL repop parts; some companies make nice stuff, others, not so much.
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1968 Chevrolet C/10 Pro Street
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335664
PHAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #28
WAAF
Account Suspended

even the best company has batches of defective parts...
WAAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #29
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

The Deluxe windshield trim I bought from LMC is pretty weak...and expensive!
Doesn't appear to fit worth a hoot either.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #30
sanford66

Dash gauge bezel woodgrain decal. I bought one and test fit it on the original gauge bezel in the 72 Cheyenne i had. It didn't fit worth a crap around the bottom gauge holes, so the decal went back in the package, and the cluster went back in the truck [minus decal]! Joseph
1954 Delray 2-door sedan [rat rod project]
sanford66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #31
junksaver

I just bought an ignition switch. The company is BWD and it was made in mexico. The switch would not fit into the spacer at all. I had to file all 3 of the alignment bars to get it to fit. I wish I would have returned it and order an AC Delco part.

I will say this about having reproduction parts available. If we had no parts available, good or bad, there would be a lot less of these truck on the road. Do you ever see any old Internationals or Studebaker trucks? No you don't. It's not because people don't like the trucks, it's because there are no parts. We should be happy that we have parts being reproduced and should let the vendors know when the parts aren't of good quality. Hopefully as time goes on all parts will become better so these trucks can be enjoyed by future generations.
72 2wd 3/4 Ton Project or Parts?
73 4wd Blazer
junksaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #32
blkcorvair

Quote:
Originally Posted by junksaver View Post
I will say this about having reproduction parts available. If we had no parts available, good or bad, there would be a lot less of these truck on the road. Do you ever see any old Internationals or Studebaker trucks? No you don't. It's not because people don't like the trucks, it's because there are no parts. We should be happy that we have parts being reproduced and should let the vendors know when the parts aren't of good quality. Hopefully as time goes on all parts will become better so these trucks can be enjoyed by future generations.

Good point. If we didnt have bad repop's than there would be no basis to start inproving on!

That being said I though the plate on the new repo door handles gets riveted on? Did that no solve that problem?

I try and buy GM replacement if I can, Than ADelco if available, Than USA made, than whatevers left. Just get stuck with some taiwan parts. just the way it is I guess.
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #33
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul View Post
We were told this was due to to low of a carbon content in the raw materials when making these originally for reproduction, this problem was supposed to have been cleared up in the last few years on the steering wheels being reproduced.
GMCPaul
Yes, the new wheels are much better from what I've seen (have had a blue and black one and both were very sturdy although I only had them for a few months and not much usage...but I did try the "pull on the top of the wheel to get into the truck" maneuver and it held strong )

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.PASSMORE View Post
After market Deluxe side markers with chrome trim. The chrome trim falls off after a few months. Good luck on finding it...

But, "E-Bay" still has Deluxe side markers in there inventory.
yes, still some on ebay....Top banana sells the trim rings separately now. I always take mine off on purpose and use liquid nails for small projects (clear) to glue them on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That's good to know. Now I can have a decent steering wheel for a total cost of about $375. Of course I also paid $50 shipping from LMC on this one. So,make that $425 if I can buy a new one w/o paying shipping.
truckandcarshop.com sells them for 195 plus shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanford66 View Post
Dash gauge bezel woodgrain decal. I bought one and test fit it on the original gauge bezel in the 72 Cheyenne i had. It didn't fit worth a crap around the bottom gauge holes, so the decal went back in the package, and the cluster went back in the truck [minus decal]! Joseph
I agree...this is because they produced the woodgrain off the original bezels vs. the repop....wish someone would get this corrected....
repop brand is the closest but still not a perfect fit...
Old 12-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #34
BMERDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
but I did try the "pull on the top of the wheel to get into the truck" maneuver and it held strong )
Johnathan ain't no little guy. If he pulled on it, it shoulda bent!

When restoring my gas tank I had to replace the sender. First time I fueled up it still didn't register. I checked the new part first and found that the solder on the float was cracked and absorbed fuel. I called LMC and the operator didn't question it at all. He found my info and had a new float shipped to my door several days later...haven't had a problem since.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote