The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Spitshineschwinn

Just in case anyone's wondering about my username...

I also collect vintage Schwinn bicycles. At one time I had a total of 25 Schwinns, I'm down to a more managable 10 now. These days I limit myself to the full size (26") bikes that I can ride. When I first purchased my 59 Fleetside it was so unreliable that I kept a locked up Schwinn in the bed of the truck. I haven't had to do that for quite awhile. Here is a pic of the pride of my fleet - 1950 Schwinn B-6. It's not 100% original, but very close, and it was a basket case when I bought it. I also collect 1/64th scale die cast vehicles, that collection numbers approximately 400 and includes about 50 classic trucks. How about you guys, what other hobbies or collections do you have?
Attached Images

Spitshineschwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
chevyrestoguy

Re: Just in case anyone's wondering about my username...

I love vintage Schwinn bikes. Restoring the old ones is one of those things I have always wanted to do, but haven't done yet. The first 2-wheeler I ever rode was my Mom's fully-loaded 1955 Schwinn. That bike was a tank, but it rode as smooth as glass. My first bike was a Stingray Jr.

I'll keep you in mind for guidance if I ever decide to get an old one to restore. I have always liked the "straight bar" frames. I think that they are from the '40s?

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Russell Ashley

I love those old Schwinns. A green and white one similar to your pic, but not as fancy, was my transportation before I got my first car. I still have a green and white Schwinn Midget Sting Ray that I bought my son over thirty years ago. Now his son rides it sometime when he's at my house.

I wish you hadn't shown that pic. Now I want one, and the last thing I need now is another toy if I ever expect to get my truck finished, LOL.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
meter swinger

Those old springer bikes are so cool. I bet american pickers would like to pay you a visit with those bikes you have
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Sillyoldman

Moved to Alternate Tinkerings.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
OrrieG

I had a 1955 (around that time) Red Schwinn 24" Speedster. Not fancy, no springer, single speed, coaster brake, but I learned to ride on it (old man was not a fan of miniture bikes or training wheels), and used it well into mid 60's as tranportation and on paper routes. I reversed the handle bars until I got the paper route then found it was easier to control with the big paper box on the front with the upright. Could load it up with 65 folded papers and throw on the fly from the sidewalk onto the porches. Sundays were a pain, had to do the route in two trips because of the ads. I keep hoping to find it in my Dad's stuff so I could restore it too.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Spitshineschwinn

All of those old 24" cantilever framed bikes are very hot collectables - they add a banana seat and ape bars to create a Stingray for adults. I have 2 Speedsters in my collection, but they are the English Racer type frames that the Speedster morphed into. Still very nice bikes. The attached pic is the Schwinn that started it all for me. It's a 1956 Schwinn 3 speed Traveler that I purchased at the Fort Dix thrift store when I returned from Vietnam. My wife calls it "Pheonix" because it has risen from the ashes more than once. It was even run over by my son-in-law's F-150. These are a very affordable entry bikes into Schwinn collecting, they generally sell for $100. or less on Ebay and are great riding bikes, especially the 3 speed models. I know old bikes bring back many fond memories for most of us. I never owned a Schwinn as a boy, my Mom always said she could buy 3 bikes for what one Schwinn sold for. Enough of my hobby - what do you guys enjoy when you're not tinkering with old Detroit iron?
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
Spitshineschwinn

I just figured out what "moved to alternative tinkerings" meant, didn't mean to step out of line. I'll try to post in proper category in the future. Newbie mistake!
Old 01-14-2012, 02:48 AM   #9
JRE

Nice B-6 I just sold my 47 B-6 with all original Clack and cream paint. about a number 9 on a scale of ! to 10
JRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #10
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitshineschwinn View Post
I just figured out what "moved to alternative tinkerings" meant, didn't mean to step out of line. I'll try to post in proper category in the future. Newbie mistake!

I didn't know that there was an alternative tinkerings for alternative tinkering.
Nice Bike, I wish my family hadn't hauled my old Hiwatha springer to the dump along with the JC Higgens two speed complete with tank and headlights that I got when I was about 12. I've got an old Schwinn Tiger in the shed but haven't done anything with it.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
70-Shorty

Nice bikes! Good to see more Schwinn fanatics on here. I've been restoring vintage Schwinns since the mid 90's under Flashback Vintage Cycles. I used to do quite a lot, i think i restored 15 bikes in twelve months in groups of five back then. My pair below (a mens' 47 Autocycle straightbar and a ladies 48 Hollywood) were done up (slightly custom with candy orange w/ pearl) in 1996 and won promoters choice at a big antique bike show in Huntington Beach back then. Bikes are a ton of fun cause you can get out and ride them!!! Gas Pumps and Coke Machines are static, just sitting in your game room waiting to be appreciated by someone. Bikes are functional, riding works of art and traditional design. I specialized in post-war balloon tire bikes but have had many pre-war bikes (like Cycle trucks) and many Sting Rays (early ones, Run-a-bouts and a Mini-Twinn). Still my favorites are 47 to 52 straightbars or cantilevers. Thanks for posting up. I'll look forward to seeing more!
Shot on Catalina Island
pair of 47's

B-6 and a Ladies matching pair (i do that a lot)
Tim
02 Ford F-150 Harley-Davidson supercharged 5.4
2000 Harley Roadking Hot Bike Baggers Mag Shoot
http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...oot/?start=all
some truck lettering & flame jobs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4950319...7602894916215/

Last edited by 70-Shorty; 01-14-2012 at 01:57 PM.
70-Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
Spitshineschwinn

Very nice B-6 pairs! Quality work! Most of the Schwinns in my current collection are lightweight 3 speeds - 2 Racers, 2 Speedsters, 3 Travelers. I usually find the basket cases and do a complete refurbish. I picked up this 1958 3 speed Corvette locally for $20. It was pretty rough, the wheels had been painted silver with a brush. Some of the other chrome pieces had been painted also. It rides super!
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #13
Spitshineschwinn

I thought all of my "before" pics of the B-6 were gone after my computer crashed, but I discovered this 1 pic.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
70-Shorty

thats cool to find that, it always blows people away when they see 'em before and after. I have a '47 B-6 unrestored hanging from the roof beams just waiting to be done up.
Thanks for posting!
Tim
02 Ford F-150 Harley-Davidson supercharged 5.4
2000 Harley Roadking Hot Bike Baggers Mag Shoot
http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...oot/?start=all
some truck lettering & flame jobs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4950319...7602894916215/
70-Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
Zumo
Hot Rods For Life

Sweet bikes. Check this thread for more cool bikes:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492715
Los Muertos Custom Bicycles
Zumo is offline   Reply With Quote