The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
jetthebret

Question 72 C10 I have no idea what im doing.

First let me start off with apologizing for how little i know about vehicles. I began browsing this site a few months back and it really showed me how uneducated i am when it comes to stuff like this so i decided to start learning. So if i say something that sounds completely ignorant, im sorry.

So heres the info for the truck. I will try to attach pictures later but i still dont know how to work this website. All i know is that its a 72 C10 and im still not sure if thats completely correct. From what i could pull together i believe the engine is from a 1980 monte carlo and to be perfectly honest thats pretty much all i know about the truck. right now it doesnt run well but my dad says the only problem is the timing is off. my dad put a rebuilt carburetor in it and thats about the only engine work that has been done.

now for some history.this next bit is just gonna be some boring details that dont have anything to do with the project. im 17 years old and i got this truck for my 16 birthday. my whole life iv wanted an old style truck like this and finding out it was a 72 made it even better(because my moms corvette is a 72) so i thought it was a sign from God that this truck was for me. It is planned for this truck to be my DD so all im really looking for is a nice reliable comfortable truck. I dont want to win TOTM or be in any magazines( atleast not yet) I just want this darn thing to look and work halfway decent.

now like i said i dont know jack squat about trucks and with my dads job he can only come home on the weekends and i feel bad about bombarding him with MY truck problems so any and all advice is welcome. Even if you think it might not be useful still say it, im here to learn. If your unsure about something pertaining to the truck ask me and i will do my best to answer it but my knowledge thus far is limited. Thanks in advance for any help that is offered and God bless.
Attached Images

jetthebret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
67c10rustbuket

Re: 72 C10 I have no idea what im doing.

Hey cool truck congrats! you might want to replace that rubber fuel line with an original type steel line from LMC or any other resto parts company. The old rubber hose deal is a fire hazard if it gets too close to the exhaust manifold. Looks like you have some welding to do on the floors, Don't get too scared by it its only metal and they all look like that except those spoiled rust free arizona trucks. Later

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #3
Mike Bradbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
they all look like that except those spoiled rust free arizona trucks. Later
And at least one from California.

looks like a good first truck, don't be afraid to ask questions, that's how we all learn you'l be amazed after a while you'll be the one answering questions. Get your self a timing light and start there, it is a good first step toward understanding your engine.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
jetthebret

Smile Re: 72 C10 I have no idea what im doing.

hey thanks guys for the quick and friendly replies. today i managed to get my dad out there with me and we actually got stuff done. he put a new fuel and air filter on and replaced the spark plugs then he managed to fix the timing by ear. its not spot on but its close enough. now the truck actually runs and idles without having to baby it. i think were just about done under the hood now. there wasnt much to do but it was all necessary. im probably overlooking some things so feel free to point them out. ill look into replacing that rubber fuel line, thanks for the heads up. we dont have a welding machine for this type of job so my dad is calling in a buddy to see if he can patch up all these holes. as for now thats whats next on the list. todays success and the support i have received has made me more confident about this project as a whole. thanks again and God bles.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
jetthebret

i know this is completely off topic but check out what our game camera caught in our backyard
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
litew8

Very