The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Question New truck: '08 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 4x2, Duramax/Allison

Hi all, longtime lurker/occasional poster up at the 67-72 truck forum.

I just got back home from my first long trip in a 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC 4x2 SLE1 Shortbed. Black, grey leather, stock radio with XM, non smoker owned, 83K miles.

Overall, I couldn't be more impressed with the truck - it rode nice and quiet, got good mileage (considering what I was towing - we averaged a hair over 16 mpg over 1100 miles while towing a carhauler with a BMW coupe and a motorcycle onboard from Texas to Arizona), and did all the above in effortless relative comfort. The only setbacks were related to tire blowout(s) on the trailer.

The only known modifications to the truck are a spray in bedliner, a hardshell tonneau, and a magnaflow catback. Wheels and tires are stock/stock sizes. (17" Alloys)

I know next to nothing about diesel engines other than what I've been exposed to in the military.

Long term, what are some things to look out for? Known issues, things I should check on immediately, Factory Service Bulletins, etc.

The truck will be used a tow rig, primarily, with the occasional foray down to the hardware store or the dump. I don't really want to make it into a "hot rod". That is what the 1968 CST (as well as the RC51 and the Bimmer) are for. That being said, I want to strive to make it a well maintained and good running hauler.

But what are some considerations that I should be making?
Attached Images

JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: New truck: '08 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 4x2, Duramax/Allison

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVictor75 View Post
Hi all, longtime lurker/occasional poster up at the 67-72 truck forum.

I just got back home from my first long trip in a 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC 4x2 SLE1 Shortbed. Black, grey leather, stock radio with XM, non smoker owned, 83K miles.

Overall, I couldn't be more impressed with the truck - it rode nice and quiet, got good mileage (considering what I was towing - we averaged a hair over 16 mpg over 1100 miles while towing a carhauler with a BMW coupe and a motorcycle onboard from Texas to Arizona), and did all the above in effortless relative comfort. The only setbacks were related to tire blowout(s) on the trailer.

The only known modifications to the truck are a spray in bedliner, a hardshell tonneau, and a magnaflow catback. Wheels and tires are stock/stock sizes. (17" Alloys)

I know next to nothing about diesel engines other than what I've been exposed to in the military.

Long term, what are some things to look out for? Known issues, things I should check on immediately, Factory Service Bulletins, etc.

The truck will be used a tow rig, primarily, with the occasional foray down to the hardware store or the dump. I don't really want to make it into a "hot rod". That is what the 1968 CST (as well as the RC51 and the Bimmer) are for. That being said, I want to strive to make it a well maintained and good running hauler.

But what are some considerations that I should be making?
Better fuel filtration!!! For best injector protection you need a 2-Micron filter. To run a 2-Micron filter you need a lift pump, Duramax engines dont use a lift pump from the factory.

Run a FASS or a AirDog...Both make quality stuff. Im running a AirDog on my 06, Bolt in deal.

http://fass-fuel-pumps.com/
http://www.pureflowairdog.com/
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
badpontiacs

Re: New truck: '08 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 4x2, Duramax/Allison

Keep an eye on the block heater, I have changed mine already cause it leaked. Its on the passenger side by the engine mount behind the oil dipstic tube. Other than that, not much else. Maybe the occasional glow plug. I have replaced 3 of mine sofar and its going in on monday for another to be changed.

Upgrade the mirrors to the tow mirrors, and get a programmer...helps with fuel economy.