The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
ryanroo

Re: Scott's 1972 Chevy K-20. A place to start.

Man! i read through your thread a while back but missed when you decided to go for a diseasel. now i am 'scribed!

Randy Ellis! that is awesome! looking forward to what they cook up for this bad boy.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
gerfunken

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
Man! i read through your thread a while back but missed when you decided to go for a diseasel. now i am 'scribed!

Randy Ellis! that is awesome! looking forward to what they cook up for this bad boy.
Well, I've always wanted to go diesel, just never had the right combination of time, money, gumption and spousal support. It seems that I've finally got the right combo to make it happen. There are some aspects that I know are out of my league, which is why I've decided to "outsource" the work.

On that note, my wife worked for Randy as his office manager for a year or so in 2010. He's already done the step bars and the grab bar in the cab in exchange for some web design work that I'd done for him. I've kept in touch with him, and he's always been interested in doing the work on converting the 72, and now we've got the chance.

Seeing the work that he's done on a number of other vehicles, I'm in the same boat as you, and really can't wait to see what he's capable. In reference to my other thread, I've got a list of items on my punch sheet, of questions and issues that we will go through when we finalize the scope tomorrow. He's a perfectionist, and I've never seen any sub-standard work come out of his shop. From his 1945 Willy's to his current race buggy, he always ensures that the vehicles are capable.... There's a lot of outstanding things that I'm going to leave to his judgement. (Among this, the front axle & suspension configuration.)

So, I'm going to try and stop by a couple of times, as well as ask him to take pictures of the work, and I'll try to post them up here as I get them.

And, I haven't been this giddy in a while. I first drove a 1971 Chevy K-10 when I was working as a mechanic back in 1989, and knew that I needed to have the 67-72 body style truck. I tried to get my first one when I was in Army training in San Angelo, TX. It wasn't until 1999 that I was able to actually buy the truck... Marriage, two kids, a divorce, another marriage, two additional kids, three jobs and umpteen moves later, I'm finally able to see the finish line on this truck.

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery
gerfunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
gerfunken

So, I was able to finish up a couple of items on Saturday. Finished wiring up the brake controller.

Mounted it under the steering wheel.

Got the internal wiring all done.

And ran all the wires back to the 7-pin connector.

(Ya, uninspiring look at wires....)

I also fabbed up a quick bracket to run my new halogen light relay's as well as the 40 amp fuse for the positive lead on the positive line.

Aside from cleaning out the cab and bed of the truck nothing else was done...

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery
Old 06-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
gerfunken

So, this morning, I backed out the truck for the last drive as a gas powered beast....

Glory shots of my not so beautiful truck....

Following in the trailered 1994 Dodge....(no tags, not registered...)

And we arrived at our final destination...

And, you couldn't find a happier guy right now....

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery