The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
MrBlue

A Truck's Price

This is more of a What-the-heck!
Driving by the local car dealer and spy a green 68 c-10. Didn't have time to stop. The next time I drive by the truck is sitting on the front line with a $18,000 price on the WS. Really?
So my son and I stop today after church. The truck is a 68" with a 292 I-6 on 6-lug wheels. No other options that we could see. It looks to be all most all original, except that someone has replaced the rockers and cab corners, and not a good job as you can see welds were they should by none. Bed has been off recently and has a square tube rear bumper. Body looks to have been painted with a "flat" green, kinda close to original. Maybe to hide the poor body work?
Well my son works there part time when he is home from college. So he texts the owner to ask about the truck. It is on the lot as a consignment for someone. And yes, they really want $18,000!
We are thinking that this is maybe $2000 truck. But then again for the right person/buyer, who knows?
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
MidLifer

Re: A Truck's Price

A lot of guys watch a lot of Mecum on TV and get big ideas. The market is the great equalizer. Unless he finds someone like the guy in the boat on the Geico commercial (made out of money) he will learn the true value of what he has.
Posted via Mobile Device
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Many non-car people,watch those TV shows with the Big Bucks classic collectors.They think those shows are about cars.They're not,they're about pi$$ing matches between older guys who are trying to compensate.The problem is when someone see's a vehicle that is a factory one off special order special edition musclecar/truck go for big$$$.They think grampa's worn out old farm truck is the same(because they don't know the difference).They price it accordingly and expect instant results.The car lot owner is not being very business smart since those who knw instantly think he's stupid high on vehicles and will watch but never turn into his lot to look at any car classic or DD.
A good example of people who don't know is from Charlotte Auto Fair about 5 years ago.Guy comes up claims he has a very nice truck and he's only wanting $4500.Several truck guys and BB members were there and they told him to bring it by.A couple hours later he pulls up in a truck.It was running on maybe 3 cyls.,smoking,had rust everywhere,and not one body panel without a major dent.The wood floor in the bed was gone,it was a 4 speed granny tranny.and the upholstery was shredded.All in all,I would have been hesitant to give $400 since I doubt I could have parted it for that.He still thought he had a jewel and collectors truck.Obviously he did not know anything about these trucks and had no idea of the market.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
CastIron

People do price their vehicles high, hoping that someone will actually pay the full price. The majority of trucks (and old cars) I see for sale that are priced too high sit for sale for months. It's especially true for old 4 door cars. Just because it's a 60's car doesn't mean it's desirable.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
WIDESIDE72

"Many non-car people,watch those TV shows with the Big Bucks classic collectors.They think those shows are about cars.They're not,they're about pi$$ing matches between older guys who are trying to compensate."

X2

One of the reasons i recently bought a sticker that will go on the back window of my 72 swb stepside. "Built not bought". Then again, i guess the same saying doesn't apply to the sticker its self!
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
mmiddle

These trucks are Classics and very few are actual Collector items. The traceability of these trucks is true non existent. We don't have Cowl tags and Protecto-Plates like the cars did.
On the other hand, my brother is a Camaro guy. He is currently restoring a 68 Z/28, all numbers matching with the build sheet and Protecto-Plate with original Rochester keys with the knock-outs. 1 of about 500 Camaros made with those keys. When he is done he will have about 30K in the car, but the car will be worth about 65-80K. His car will be one of those on the Fancy auction circuit. His car has traceability.
Bottom line... people watch these shows and get dollar signs in there eyes.
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote