The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2003, 08:30 AM   #1
VTKidder

Speedwarning questions

I had a couple questions about the speedwarning speedo setup.

1) What year(s) was it available?
2) How rare of an option is it? Worth any $$?
3) How does it vary from a standard speedo in terms of wiring? Is there a separate harness that plugs onto the back of the speedo, like the back of a tach has, or is it a completely different printed circuit?
4) What else is needed besides the speedo for operation (harness, buzzer and ....?). Is the dial part of the speedo?
5) When you did pass the dialed in speed, does the buzzer come on and stay on, or is there a quick buzz that stops?

The wheels are just turning, and I wanted to know. Thanks all...

-adam
VTKidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:11 AM   #2
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

1) What year(s) was it available?

67-69. You may also want to look at Camaros and other GM cars from that era too.

2) How rare of an option is it? Worth any $$?

About 2% of production. More common in fleet vehicle purchases and on series 40-60, to keep employees foot off the gas. $150 and up, though as usual some will say they never pay more than $25.

3) How does it vary from a standard speedo in terms of wiring? Is there a separate harness that plugs onto the back of the speedo, like the back of a tach has, or is it a completely different printed circuit?

All you need to convert is the speedo, the knob and cable to set the speed, and the harness and buzzer. With these items you can make any cluster a speed warning, no change in circuit, etc.

4) What else is needed besides the speedo for operation (harness, buzzer and ....?). Is the dial part of the speedo?

See above. The knob and flex cable to set (similar to a speedo cable in design) attach to plastic bezel to left of speedo. It is not integrated in the speedo as a mileage reset knob is on modern cars. Obviously the white indicator is part of the speedo.

5) When you did pass the dialed in speed, does the buzzer come on and stay on, or is there a quick buzz that stops?

Guess, here. It's a constant noise to irratate the bejezus out of you.

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:22 AM   #3
Huck

Had one back in 63 on a 61 Buick. It will buzz as long as you exceed the white dial indicator. You can simply move the setting to a higher speed to stop the buzzzzz. Actually a nice option that can keep you out of trouble by setting a bit over the posted speed limit as a reminder. Only works with a mechanical driven speedo---can not be modified to work off a digital or electronic speed replacement so you have to stay with the original gauge setup.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:58 AM   #4
VTKidder

Quote:
Originally posted by CPNE
Guess, here. It's a constant noise to irratate the bejezus out of you.
That's what I was thinking too. Thanks for the good info you guys. I guess they are pretty rare. I take it all is necessary for a transformation of a standard speedo to that in terms of the bezel is a drilled hole and installation of the knob that sets the warning level?

I'll keep my eyes open for one. As with most things rare and cool, it's probably a lost cause, but a reason nonetheless to hit the junkyards! :p
VTKidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 09:23 PM   #5
Rod

You'll need 2 more item from what I read in CPNE's post. The stud that the wiring connect to on metal back of the dash and a nut to hold the cable to the dash bezel.
And he's right about any dash can be made into a speedwarning cluster if you have those parts.. I did it....I also paid up to $275 for a speedwarning then made it into a speedwarning -tach -vacuum cluster, with a tach vacuum cluster I had.
Attached Images

72 Chev 1 ton tow truck 402BB w/Holmes 440 wrecker on propane
2005 FLSTSCI Harley Springer
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
72 Triumph 650 Bonneville 5spd
"Poor people don't have hobbies" Quote from wife.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 10:59 AM   #6
PT'S 70 CST
"GO DAWGS"

SPEED WARNING

I HAVE ONE I AM RESTORING AND I HAVE RESTORED MANY TACH, TACH VAC AND TACH AIR PRESSURE CLUSTERS BUT THIS IS MY FIRST SPEED WARNING DASH AND IT IS IN VERY GOOD COND. I HAVE EVERYTHING TO FINISH IT BUT THE BUZZER BOX AND THE KNOB THAT FITS ON THE DIAL CABLE, DOES ANYONE HAVE A BUZZER OR A DIAL KNOB THEY WANT TO PART WITH. WHAT KIND OF $ IS THIS DASH WORTH FULLY RESTORED. ( SPEED WARNING,TACH, AIR PRESSURE)
PT'S 70 CST is offline   Reply With Quote