The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
71-C10

Bleeding brakes 71 c10

I have a '71 C10 with manual brakes that I just put a new master cylinder on, and I want to bleed the brakes . Master cylinder has been bench bled and installed. Bleeding brakes is pretty much straight forward, but my concern is the prop valve. Can someone talk me through bleeding the system properly so that I don't have issues with the prop valve and brake light switch?

Thanks,

Eddie
71-C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Bleeding brakes 71 c10

If you didn't open up any other part of the system you can just mount the cyl. & pump the brakes a few times. The air at the connections will work back into the reservoir. You shouldn't have to do anything to the combination valve.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
WIDESIDE72

Re: Bleeding brakes 71 c10

Before you get started bleeding, pop the little rubber dust cap off the end of the prop valve and have someone pump the brakes. Then watch the prop valve to be sure the pin extends out while pumping be sure tour prop valve isnt stuck. There is a special tool to keep the pin centered when bleeding but I didnt have it so I used a "C" clamp. The only issue is the line coming out of the back keeps you from getting on it straight, so I put a crescent wrench on the fitting then put the clamp on. I was able to bleed the brakes and get a good pedal. I had a 71 Gmc that the light stayed on after bleeding. I got on an empty road and got the truck up to about 35mph and stomped on the brakes pretty hard and the light went off.
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote