The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Jahloha

Which trans? SPID & Build Sheet Each Use Different Codes

My truck is a 1970 C20 350

I am trying to plan out my project and trying to learn the pros and cons of my transmission, but only thing is that my SPID has code M49 which would be either for the TH350 or TH400...but my Build Sheet has code M38 which is only the TH350.

Is this normal?

I am building a dd and do not believe I have the skills to conduct a tranny swap, so I am wanting to pin point which trans I have, in order to read what all you have to say about the pros and cons of it. Or what I need to do in order to make whichever trans it is, a better dd (mpg).

Thanks for all your help with this.

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 232
Size:  109.5 KB
Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  42.2 KB

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Jahloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Bigdav160

Re: Which trans? SPID & Build Sheet Each Use Different Codes

What you say is correct about the RPO codes. TH400 would have been a M40 on the build sheet.

The TH350 is a fine transmission for all but the highest or torque/horsepower small block engines. It will also holdup to a very mild big block.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
What you say is correct about the RPO codes. TH400 would have been a M40 on the build sheet.

The TH350 is a fine transmission for all but the highest or torque/horsepower small block engines. It will also holdup to a very mild big block.
Digdav:

So I should go off the build sheet code? (I will also get under tonight to verify by using the pan bolt pattern).

Also, I have read all about the 700r4 being the trans for daily driving, but I dont feel quite ready for that sort of swap. So in the mean time, outside of rebuilding the trans, what other components things should I do, to make the th350 achieve its best mpg?

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
WIDESIDE72

Imo, buy a B&M shift improver kit, and when you have the pan off for the install, put in a new filter and fluid. Im not aware of much else you cna really do to one still in the truck.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
Imo, buy a B&M shift improver kit, and when you have the pan off for the install, put in a new filter and fluid. Im not aware of much else you cna really do to one still in the truck.
WestSide:

I plan on pulling the engine and trans next week...so options are open.

I made a contact with bud who's grandpa does trans rebuilds. The guy is nearly 70 and been working on old Chevys for forever. If I do end up going through him, what is a list of items he should do or I should ask him to do? To help this trans be the best it can for my daily driving.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahloha View Post
WestSide:

I plan on pulling the engine and trans next week...so options are open.

I made a contact with bud who's grandpa does trans rebuilds. The guy is nearly 70 and been working on old Chevys for forever. If I do end up going through him, what is a list of items he should do or I should ask him to do? To help this trans be the best it can for my daily driving.
What type of driving do you plan for the truck? If a lot of highway driving is planned, now is the time to go with an overdrive. I have swapped a 700r4 into three 71/72 trucks. I also heled my brother install a 200 4r into a 72 in the early 90's. i really liked the dact that it dodnt have the low first fear like the 700r4. I also have a 200 4r in a 79 malibu. It lived behind a 500hp 383 til thecam went bad and ruined the engine. Its still in the car behind a milder 355. The cost of putting one in now is not that much higher than rebuilding your existing trans, other than the core needed. Your friends grand dad could surely help out there. Its really a straight forward swap. Youll need to slide the trans crossmember back and drill new holes. The driveshaft out of da mid 80's truck originally equipped with a 700r4 will bolt in. (Use one out of a swb if yours is a swb and likewise for lwb.) the tv cable bracket is available from several sources depending on what carb you run. the lower rpms will benefit you both with better mileage and extended engine life.

Last edited by WIDESIDE72; 11-12-2013 at 09:33 PM.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #7
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
What type of driving do you plan for the truck? If a lot of highway driving is planned, now is the time to go with an overdrive. I have swapped a 700r4 into three 71/72 trucks. I also heled my brother install a 200 4r into a 72 in the early 90's. i really liked the dact that it dodnt have the low first fear like the 700r4. I also have a 200 4r in a 79 malibu. It lived behind a 500hp 383 til thecam went bad and ruined the engine. Its still in the car behind a milder 355. The cost of putting one in now is not that much higher than rebuilding your existing trans, other than the core needed. Your friends grand dad could surely help out there. Its really a straight forward swap. Youll need to slide the trans crossmember back and drill new holes. The driveshaft out of da mid 80's truck originally equipped with a 700r4 will bolt in. (Use one out of a swb if yours is a swb and likewise for lwb.) the tv cable bracket is available from several sources depending on what carb you run. the lower rpms will benefit you both with better mileage and extended engine life.
WestSide:

It will be a DD with a daily highway round trip of 20 miles, average about 320 miles every 15 days or so. The occasional 700 mile trip to SoCal and the occasional tow of a trailer.

Should I look for a rebuilt? Just looked online in my area and saw rebuilts for 600 and another from an early 90s burb for 75.

I am new to all this, but am trying to steepen my learning curve. So thanks for the help and input.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
Lattimer

swapping a trans is actually pretty easy. If you can take yours out and put it back, you can do the swap just as easy with some reading on this board.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #9
Jahloha

FYI...I will also be running larger tires, probably 285/70/17 at the most. Will this tire size affect my choice of trans?

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Keith Seymore

Go by the build sheet; that's the document that drives the initial build. The SPID sheet reports what happened after the fact.

Also - you should be aware that there are "Merchandised Options" and "Non Merchandised Options".

Merchandised Options are what the consumer/dealer selects when he says "I want an automatic", or "I want a manual trans". That selects the "family" of options, so to speak.

The Non-Merchandised option selects the specific transmission within that family based on all the other design considerations (model/series, engine, rear axle, GVW, etc).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Go by the build sheet; that's the document that drives the initial build. The SPID sheet reports what happened after the fact.

Also - you should be aware that there are "Merchandised Options" and "Non Merchandised Options".

Merchandised Options are what the consumer/dealer selects when he says "I want an automatic", or "I want a manual trans". That selects the "family" of options, so to speak.

The Non-Merchandised option selects the specific transmission within that family based on all the other design considerations (model/series, engine, rear axle, GVW, etc).

K
K:

Awesome insight on the merchandised and non-merchandised items. I never knew that, but it makes a lot of sense.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread