The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
tedfrk

Talking cab and bed floor ??

Why did GM use a plywood floor in the bed of the burb? Would a truck floor fit in the cab and bed area?
tedfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:45 AM   #2
60sIron

Re: cab and bed floor ??

It's been done. But why? It's a lot of work.....
60sIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
tedfrk

This is why, see pics. Plus the bed plywood is rotted in some spots.Im not worried about the amount of work just want it to last.I bought this on ebay and spent way to much on it.I dont want to give up on it.I have the time not worried about that.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I'm not sure what that has to do with the wood floor though unless you just want to replace it all at the same time. I remember a thread about doing the pickup floor too but I couldn't find it with a quick search....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
tedfrk

I wanted to replace the plywood with metal from the bed of a pickup.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:22 PM   #6
vectorit
What?

Personally I like the wood rear cargo area floor, and can't see any benefit replacing it with a PU steal bed floor. Unless you are one of those guys that likes to create more work for themselves just for the fun of it, but I can think of much better things on a Suburban to direct that kind of energy when replacing the OE wood floor with a simple sheet of plywood and the use of a jig saw and a drill... Plus, I think the steel bed would ad to the noise in the cab.. So unless you plan to throw engine blocks in the back of your newly rebuilt Suburban, why even bother with steel flooring?
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
WH0DAMAN

I fabricated in a floor out of a 2005 Yukon XL for two reasons: One, It will handle like a 2005 Yukon if I am involved in an accident & crumple. A rigid metal floor will not crumple so in turn, you take the force of the impact. Two, I wanted the 3rd seat to fit correctly. Adding a 3rd seat to a wood floor with a small crossmember holding it in place didn't look too safe. The passengers knees would also be way up in their chests. Not too comfortable.

Was this a bunch of work? Hell yes it was!!!! I think it was worth the work but I also do this for a living so it wasn't that big of a deal. I still second guessed myself in the middle of the project since there were well over 500 welds in it. It also involved modifying the frame to accommodate the different foot well of the Yukon. ( This is what allows the 3rd seat passengers knees not to be pushed into their chests).

To answer your question though...Yes, you can add a truck floor to your burb. It may not be what you want though. Like Vectorit said, it will be louder. My Yukon floor has two layers of metal with multiple crossmembers. It very quite. The pick up floor will be one layer & will require a lot of fabbing where the ribs stop & meet up to a smooth floor at the rear of the truck. The wheel wells are also different between the truck and suburban. This will require the use of truck wheel wells. You will run into quite a bit of fab work.

If you want to do it though, its possible. It's your truck so go for it if that's what you want. If you are going with a mostly stock truck then I see no point to it. The wood floors actually hold up really well and are quiet.

Bob

My 70 Chevy Suburban build:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=574056&page=3
WH0DAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote