The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
BrianG

Tie Rod for 67-72 4x4 Chevy

Does anyone reproduce the long center tie rod for a 67-72 Chevy 4x4? I can find the tie rod ends, but not the center piece. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:57 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: Tie Rod for 67-72 4x4 Chevy

I look on lmc and rockauto and no luck on that part.Your kinda stuck finding it used wonder if one from a 73-87 would fit or not ?
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
BrianG

The 73-87 tie rod is different. At least on the spare front axle assembly that I have. There isn't two short tie rod ends with a long adjusting sleeve like my 69 has, but rather it has one really long tie rod end, a small adjusting sleeve, and then one short tie rod end. These go in from the bottom instead of the top, they wouldn't work on my 69. I am sort of surprised that no one is making this part. There are quite a few of these trucks still running around, and while it isn't a wear part, accidents happen, and parts need replacing. I'm really hoping that my only possibility if I can't find a used one, isn't going to be "custom made" that just screams $$$$
Old 05-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
mx289

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
The 73-87 tie rod is different. At least on the spare front axle assembly that I have. There isn't two short tie rod ends with a long adjusting sleeve like my 69 has, but rather it has one really long tie rod end, a small adjusting sleeve, and then one short tie rod end. These go in from the bottom instead of the top, they wouldn't work on my 69. I am sort of surprised that no one is making this part. There are quite a few of these trucks still running around, and while it isn't a wear part, accidents happen, and parts need replacing. I'm really hoping that my only possibility if I can't find a used one, isn't going to be "custom made" that just screams $$$$
Try a WTB in the parts forum and you will find a good used one.

I dont think it is reproduced.. ?

71 K2500
71 K5 Jimmy
mx289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
ryanroo

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Dana44crossover.htm

on this page a heavy duty center link and new HD tie rod ends can be had for less than 200. it is a fair price IMO.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #6
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Dana44crossover.htm

on this page a heavy duty center link and new HD tie rod ends can be had for less than 200. it is a fair price IMO.
That's the one I bought that will not fit.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:20 AM   #7
ryanroo

did you specify to them that you wanted a stock position tie rod end? the one listed on the site is for their high steer kits. that will change the length of the center tube. ORD has always been very accommodating for me if you call and tell them what you are doing and what you need.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #8
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
did you specify to them that you wanted a stock position tie rod end? the one listed on the site is for their high steer kits. that will change the length of the center tube. ORD has always been very accommodating for me if you call and tell them what you are doing and what you need.
You don't really specify. That one isn't necessarily a high steer setup. Its the only one that they sell for the Dana 44. (Well other than the even beefier one). In the picture on their website under the crossover/high steering section, they do show it in the high steer position. That is because that truck also has the crossover steering so it requires the flat top knuckles. On the flat top Dana 44 knuckles, the tie rod bolts in from the top. I guess sort of like high steer. However, on a stock setup, the tie rod ends are offset to give clearance between the tie rod and the springs. On later models the tie rod ends were not offset and the tie rod bolted on from the bottom. Their setup would work fine for that. You can see in their picture that the tie rod is VERY close to the spring. Theirs has many more leafs than what I do. I have a 1/2 ton Skyjacker 4" Softride lift.

I agree that ORD is a great, friendly and helpful company. I am not at all trying to bash them. I did talk to them yesterday afternoon as a matter of fact. They had pointed out the picture of one installed on their website. They mentioned that I may have to loosen the spring to get it installed. I did try to install it and by loosening the springs, I was able to get it on. However, with the wheels straight, their is maybe an 1/8" clearance between the tie rod and spring. The tie rod hits one of the springs when you turn maybe 1/4 of the way, and that just gets worse the tighter you turn (all of this is done with the wheels off and just turning the hubs). I've thought about adding the ORD 1" zero rate "springs". That will give me the clearance that I need (hopefully!). That is, if I can't find a good stock setup.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

The 73 to 76 Dana 44s use a short sleeve with one very long tie rod end and another short end. That unit also has the hole for the steering stabilizer built in and it goes on top of the steering arms like the 70-72 does. The 77 and up 10 bolt has the tie rod that goes in on the bottom of the steering arms and uses straight tie rod ends. You can use the 10 bolt knuckles on your Dana 44 and use that tie rod you got from ORD.
If your wanting to stay with the stock 71-72 setup I have several good tie rod assemblies, but will be a little while before I can get one off.

Last edited by BLAZERMAN; 05-06-2014 at 10:53 AM.
BLAZERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:24 PM   #10
Blazerowner

Bringing this back from the dead since I was searching and found what I believe is the right part. See below:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Replacement-T...b7a14ffff68043
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote