The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
rickywideglide

2 piece driveshaft install

trying to install hd driveshaft switching from light duty ,does the old mount that hangs down need to be removed ..is there a thread covering this
rickywideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:01 PM   #2
'65 chevy lover

Re: 2 piece driveshaft install

Not sure if there is a thread covering this or not. But, one thing you will need to do to make your driveshaft live is to, convert the inline carrier bearing to the u-bolt style. Here is a link to a HD style offered by Captainfab.
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=620312 Here is another link covering driveshaft length and related info. Hope this helps. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429352

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickywideglide View Post
trying to install hd driveshaft switching from light duty ,does the old mount that hangs down need to be removed ..is there a thread covering this
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:14 PM   #3
rickywideglide

sorry original post was kind of vague, i have the bracket from captfab, was trying to put driveshaft in, which is all together im guessing something needs to come apart to get front in to trans. and bearing and bracket bolted into crossmember
Old 11-10-2014, 01:24 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Once you have the new carrier bearing bracket in place on the crossmember, install the front driveshaft. Then slide the rear driveshaft onto the splines, making sure to align the yokes/U-joints, and bolt it to the pinion yoke.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
rickywideglide

had to remove bracket that went around rubber part of carrier bearing then slide complete driveshaft through crossmember and into trans. bracket from captnfab fit perfect
Old 11-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
rickywideglide

still having some issues with driveshaft,i switched from light duty shaft to hd shaft, and also changed rear from 3/4 ton to half ton both from a 63,to get hd shaft on had to remove metal bracket around carrier bearing(horseshoe style)to get driveshaft in,bolted everything down . now when trying to install driveshaft to rear its to close,the second part of shaft im guessing is a slip yoke and its pushed all the way in. im thinking the shaft is to long,but why even if previous truck had different trans. that wouldnt effect length on rear any help would be much apprecated will post some pics if needed.wondering if i should go back to light duty shaft and change out ujoints... sorry for the essay..
Old 11-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
chris1044

Quote:
still having some issues with driveshaft,i switched from light duty shaft to hd shaft, and also changed rear from 3/4 ton to half ton both from a 63,to get hd shaft on had to remove metal bracket around carrier bearing(horseshoe style)to get driveshaft in,bolted everything down . now when trying to install driveshaft to rear its to close,the second part of shaft im guessing is a slip yoke and its pushed all the way in. im thinking the shaft is to long,but why even if previous truck had different trans. that wouldnt effect length on rear any help would be much apprecated will post some pics if needed.wondering if i should go back to light duty shaft and change out ujoints... sorry for the essay..
This is the little that I can add - I'm just getting into C10's so IDK what the two piece shaft even looks like. However I'm assuming the front goes from the trans to a carrier, and the rear goes from the carrier to the axle pinion.

What do you mean by "when trying to install to rear it's too close"? The U-joint won't go into the pinion yoke? If that's the case, the shaft is likely too long or you need to adjust where the carrier is bolted down (it would need to go closer to the truck). If that's the case, you'd have to make sure the slip yoke on the tail shaft of the trans has enough axial clearance to accept more of the shaft.

Pictures are worth 1000 words I think on this
chris1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
rickywideglide

i will get some pics tomorrow, but yea the u joint at diff. is to close, there is a little adjustment for carrier bearing to move forward
Old 11-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
chris1044

Quote:
i will get some pics tomorrow, but yea the u joint at diff. is to close, there is a little adjustment for carrier bearing to move forward
If there is no play in the slip yoke, I would definitely NOT run it. I'd take a look at moving the carrier forward...
chris1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:23 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

It's hard to say for sure without seeing just what you have, but it sounds like you need to have the rear driveshaft shortened. You should have 1-1/4" or so of slip yoke movement.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #11
rickywideglide

took some pics this morning the one pic shows slip joint all the way forward and how close u joint is to rear, the 1 1/4 spec seems about right with slip joint extended, curious what other guys have done for this issueName:  002.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  31.8 KB

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  24.7 KB

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  27.0 KB

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  19.9 KB
Old 11-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #12
rickywideglide

doing some research on this driveshaft issue came across a post with a photo of driveshaft on a mid 80s truck, looks alot like the one i have, so im thinking just wrong driveshaft alltogether, can anyone verify this from the earlier pics
Old 11-13-2014, 11:45 PM   #13
rickywideglide

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=641548
Old 11-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #14
rickywideglide

ended up replacing carrier bearing on light duty driveshaft that was orignally on truck,and installing conversion bearing to accept 1/2 ton yoke.