The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2015, 11:33 PM   #1
68_Step

Driveshaft question

I dropped my driveshaft tonight to measure my u-joints for replacement. It is a 2 piece shaft. Before I removed it, I marked the yoke to shaft position so could put it back together the same way. To replace the carrier bearing I removed the bolt and pressed off the yoke. I did not mark the yoke to splined shaft position because my Haynes manual said it is impossible to put the yoke back on wrong because it is keyed. I think the book is wrong, now that I have it apart it looks like can go back together in several positions. Looking at the pics what DG o you think?
Attached Images

68_Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:36 AM   #2
leftybass209

Re: Driveshaft question

I switched to a 1 piece just prior to installing my 2 piece, but I do believe mine would only slip on one way. I would suggest taking it to a driveline shop and having it balanced. As a bonus they'd probably mount that yoke for mere pennies if anything. It's good piece of mind and insurance that you'll have a solid driveshaft without the worry of any mysterious vibrations.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:19 AM   #3
hamjet

Seems like there should be tell tale signs of dirt/grime in the one groove of the male end of the shaft where the one spline was missing..
Old 07-22-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
68_Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjet View Post
Seems like there should be tell tale signs of dirt/grime in the one groove of the male end of the shaft where the one spline was missing..
You would think so, but there wasn't.

I did get it figured out. I laid all the parts out on the bench and lined up my marks, that pretty much only left one way for it to go in. After putting one of the joints in wrong - I decided to take it to a local drive line shop and let them fix it.
68_Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #5
bad68nomad

The yokes on both ends should line up with each other. The u-joints have to be lined up to work with each other so there is no vibration. So there will only be 2 ways it should be installed. Either way should be fine.
68 Chevelle Nomad wagon
bad68nomad is offline   Reply With Quote