The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2016, 10:26 PM   #1
72Mountaineer

Master Cylinder access hole lid

I cut a hole in my floor of my '53 for access to the new master cylinder, and need to cover it with the patch I cut out. How did others do this? Hinges, etc? Any pics? Thanks.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:42 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: Master Cylinder access hole lid

if it is round the bodyshop supply places sell nice rubber plugs that work pretty well. is it round or square? if you have another piece of sheet stock laying around you can cut a piece just a bit bigger with a flat side on it and rivet or weld it centred over the old piece, then hinge that flat side and put some weatherstripping on the overhung part, or cut a piece of small vacuum hose end for end so it is slit down the side, then glue that to the edge of the old hole and when the new lid is snugged down it seals against the rubber tube. like cheap guys weatherstripping. a small machine screw stud, put through from thr bottom side and held in place by a speed nut or welded, could be used to hold the lid down, opposite the piano hinge. a pic would really help us understand what you have there and how much room you have to work with.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
OrrieG

here is mine. scrap metal, piano hinge piece, thumb turn and quick nut. Not shown is wiper hose used for gasket. I set up my seat to tilt forward for access.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
72Mountaineer

Orrie is on the right track. Here is a pic of my access hole, the round one will be plugged.

72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #5
dsraven

all I can say is make it big enough to pour fluid through without making a big mess. and, nice job guys.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #6
dsraven

oh ya, one other thing to mention. some newer cars have a hole in the floor under the drivers and passenger's foot area. it is plugged with a nicely shaped stamped metal plug with "wings". next time you are under a newer car take a look to see if anything like that would be useable. usually they are just glued in with that really nice body glue that is almost like a weld. may be a little hard to get out but may also make a nice plug for something like that. trunks also have these drain hole plugs. another place to check would be under the rear seat of some imports. the fuel pumps have an access hole there. some have rubber plugs and some have a nice metal plug with attachment wings. vw and Honda come to mind. you could google for pic to get relative sizes. maybe?
Old 02-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #7
mr48chev

Big enough to get your hand through too.

I've crawled under the truck, popped the cap and filled the master cylinder with a squeeze bottle with hose attached for years but that sure isn't any fun at all. Being able to tilt the seat forward, or remove the seat easily would be a plus.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:38 PM   #8
wolffcub

I used one of these.

https://www.performanceonline.com/Fu...d-Rectangular/

If it aint broke I still try to fix it!
wolffcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #9
dsraven

RV shops also have some nice stuff as well as fab shops for stuff like work truck decks etc. an electrical supply outlet may have a lid from a waterproof box that you could make work as well.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #10
55dude

i always used a piece of stainless polished on one side to act as a mirror so when i checked fluid i could see. always used large syringe with clear tubing from below so zero chance spillage on carpet.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:04 PM   #11
dsraven

how about the lid and part of the sides from an army ammo box. sealed really well and big enough to get your hand through no problem.you could cut it off, flange the sides out and screw it to the floor if you don't fancy welding under there. seal it up after and -boom- bob's your uncle.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #12
JimDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Mountaineer View Post
I cut a hole in my floor of my '53 for access to the new master cylinder, and need to cover it with the patch I cut out. How did others do this? Hinges, etc? Any pics? Thanks.
As 72Mountaineer mentioned , using a 47-55.1 Battery Access Panel is what i plan to do on my 58for the brakes , it gives you plenty of room and it latches with just a twist of the handle , i am also going to mount my battery under the floor as is the 47-55.1 to get it off the firewall , since it looks out of place just hanging there , and use one of those for access to it as well

(look at the second post in this topic i started about the same thing *1project2many* shows a picture of the panel) , it should give you plenty of room to get your hands in there or a bottle of brake fluid or whatever , and keep all the dirt from falling into the master cylinder

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=7416518
JimDirt is offline   Reply With Quote