The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2016, 10:02 PM   #51
Brando_Vanschoyck

Re: Vanschoyck MetalWorks & Artistry's 67 c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I like your attitude & willingness to listen to some of the great input so far. I'm impressed that you're doing so well for a first time build. No slowly wading in the pool for you. You climbed the ladder for the high-dive & did THE cannonball! LOL....

If I might add some insight.... Getting it as low as can be w/wheel & tires appropriately sized yields better visual results vs. using shorter wheels & tires just to make it as low as possible. I've seen more than a few trucks that the owner got it to 'lay frame' but used super short tires that did not look as good as another truck that maybe doesn't lay frame but has the wheel well filled.

Food for thought.
Wow thanks brother for the kind words!!! I'm the kind of guy who goes all in or nothing!!! And yes, I am HERE TO LEARN!!! I was ALWAYS taught to respect my elders or people with more knowledge and SOAK UP THE KNOWLEDGE, after all, someone's probably already done it and done it better right?! Why not LISTEN AND LEARN?!?! I've learned almost everything from searching and reading this site and I must say, I've seen many of your posts and you always offer sound advice! So in a round about way, I feel like I know the kind of person you are and I really respect you! Thanks for looking at my thread and offering me advice!!! What size tire do you think I could run on my 16" wheels and still look good but give me a few inches of drop? I've actually searched and can't find too much as far as diameter? I'm thinking somewhere in the 26" diameter range?? Again thank you so much for the kind words along with everyone else here, and the advice and constructive criticism I've received! I want to be the best builder/fabricator/welder I can be so who better to learn from than people who have years of experience?! That's why I love this place!!
Brando_Vanschoyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #52
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando_Vanschoyck View Post
Wow thanks brother for the kind words!!! I'm the kind of guy who goes all in or nothing!!! And yes, I am HERE TO LEARN!!! I was ALWAYS taught to respect my elders or people with more knowledge and SOAK UP THE KNOWLEDGE, after all, someone's probably already done it and done it better right?! Why not LISTEN AND LEARN?!?! I've learned almost everything from searching and reading this site and I must say, I've seen many of your posts and you always offer sound advice! So in a round about way, I feel like I know the kind of person you are and I really respect you! Thanks for looking at my thread and offering me advice!!! What size tire do you think I could run on my 16" wheels and still look good but give me a few inches of drop? I've actually searched and can't find too much as far as diameter? I'm thinking somewhere in the 26" diameter range?? Again thank you so much for the kind words along with everyone else here, and the advice and constructive criticism I've received! I want to be the best builder/fabricator/welder I can be so who better to learn from than people who have years of experience?! That's why I love this place!!
From a standardized reference point, these trucks came w/about a 27.5-28" tall tire from the factory. Try & keep the OD 27" @ a minimum up front. The rears can usually stand to be slightly taller since there is more room. How low are you trying to go? With what you have so far (a >3" front Z & the rear rails @ approx 4" raised), you're getting close but will still need help. Drop spindles up front & a small step notch for the rear will get you there.

There are multiple benefits when using drop spindles up front. They offer increased drop w/minimal impact to steering geometry & much improved braking because you have to upgrade to disc brakes. The benefits of the small step notch is you can set it up @ just the height you need/want (that also allows for full clearance) & the full rail height is stronger vs a c-notch (a safe ride is a better ride for you & everyone on the road).

The addition of spindles + a step notch should put the main rails on or very near the ground when air'd out & yield around a 5" ride height (@ the rails) which is the minimum one should target (again... for safety). There are also supporting mods to get that low (raising front & rear wheel tubs) but there are multiple options to choose from.

Plan your build around the OD dimensions of the wheels/tires vs having to change them @ the end to fit the build.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 11-23-2016 at 10:47 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #53
Brando_Vanschoyck

Quote:
From a standardized reference point, these trucks came w/about a 27.5-28" tall tire from the factory. Try & keep the OD 27" @ a minimum up front. The rears can usually stand to be slightly taller since there is more room. How low are you trying to go? With what you have so far (a >3" front Z & the rear rails @ approx 4" raised), you're getting close but will still need help. Drop spindles up front & a small step notch for the rear will get you there.

There are multiple benefits when using drop spindles up front. They offer increased drop w/minimal impact to steering geometry & much improved braking because you have to upgrade to disc brakes. The benefits of the small step notch is you can set it up @ just the height you need/want (that also allows for full clearance) & the full rail height is stronger vs a c-notch (a safe ride is a better ride for you & everyone on the road).

The addition of spindles + a step notch should put the main rails on or very near the ground when air'd out & yield around a 5" ride height (@ the rails) which is the minimum one should target (again... for safety). There are also supporting mods to get that low (raising front & rear wheel tubs) but there are multiple options to choose from.

Plan your build around the OD dimensions of the wheels/tires vs having to change them @ the end to fit the build.
Such great info! You're a wealth of knowledge brother, thanks so much! The rear Z is actually right at 6"!!! I measured it yesterday to check. The frame rails near the back are about 7-3/4" from laying out, the distance from top of rear axle to the raised rails is 6-3/4" so I'm very close to laying frame in rear (if I measured correctly). Like you said up front I'm about 3-3/4"-4" from laying out, my tires only say 6.50-16LT on them if I'm correct those are from the 50's-60's? I have no clue how tall they are but I used a yardstick and it looked between 28.5"-29" to my eye. My plan is to set it up to lay frame on as large diameter tire as possible so if I ever get enough money to run 20's or 22's I would be good to go! I removed the inner fenders up front so that's not an issue, and I plan to build some after I reach my laid out height or buy some from vendors on here. If i understand correctly you said the raised rear rails (Z) is stronger than just a big step notch? I sure hope so because my main concern is safety first and I do NOT want to be known as a guy who does jack jobs. I hope to use this truck as an advertisement for my work and small business, a shop truck. Should I be able to do a small 2" pipe notch to make room for the axle? I also definitely plan to do drop spindles up front, after the drop spindles should it lay out with plates/cups? I really don't want to cut up my control arms but I will if I need to. Sorry for all the questions and THANKS SO MUCH for your info/advice!
Old 11-23-2016, 02:02 PM   #54
SCOTI

Quote:
Such great info! You're a wealth of knowledge brother, thanks so much! The rear Z is actually right at 6"!!! I measured it yesterday to check. The frame rails near the back are about 7-3/4" from laying out, the distance from top of rear axle to the raised rails is 6-3/4" so I'm very close to laying frame in rear (if I measured correctly). Like you said up front I'm about 3-3/4"-4" from laying out, my tires only say 6.50-16LT on them if I'm correct those are from the 50's-60's? I have no clue how tall they are but I used a yardstick and it looked between 28.5"-29" to my eye. My plan is to set it up to lay frame on as large diameter tire as possible so if I ever get enough money to run 20's or 22's I would be good to go! I removed the inner fenders up front so that's not an issue, and I plan to build some after I reach my laid out height or buy some from vendors on here. If i understand correctly you said the raised rear rails (Z) is stronger than just a big step notch? I sure hope so because my main concern is safety first and I do NOT want to be known as a guy who does jack jobs. I hope to use this truck as an advertisement for my work and small business, a shop truck. Should I be able to do a small 2" pipe notch to make room for the axle? I also definitely plan to do drop spindles up front, after the drop spindles should it lay out with plates/cups? I really don't want to cut up my control arms but I will if I need to. Sorry for all the questions and THANKS SO MUCH for your info/advice!
A rear Z isn't stronger or better vs step notched rails. The step notch is a better approach vs c-notching. The strength of the rail is in it's height. Take any height out & it's no longer as strong. If the c-notch is minimal (1/3 the height of the rail) reinforcement can be done but one would have to calculate to know if they're better/worse vs their starting point. Of course, this is assuming the fabricator is capable and/or subject to variation.....

I did a rear Z for multiple reasons on my 64:
  • I wanted to keep the bags in the OE location (as far outboard as possible) to allow running wider wheels if desired.
  • The available bolt-on 4-bar set-ups @ the time kind of limited wheel width or were very costly (no aftermarket extreme T/A drops were available @ the time).
  • My previous set-ups were 6/8" drops w/the stock front x-member & rear suspension arrangement. I went w/a Dropmember up front which raised suspension locating points 3" so I simply raised the rear rails the same amount. This kept everything consistent (which as mentioned worked well for my previous set-ups) & allowed using a 1pc driveshaft (more than 1 guy out there fighting driveline vibration issues w/the extreme drops & 2pc shaft set-ups). Why a 1pc shaft? Cheaper/easier to sort through vs the 2pc.
  • Extended my fab skills.
  • Extended my knowledge (I did a bunch of research on all aspects of the build).

It's 50/50 (Z vs the tall step notch approach) depending where you locate the bags and/or which type of bag chosen.

6.50/16 = 6.50 + 6.50 + 16 = 29" tall. Cups & plates should get you close or just re-work your lower a-arms to allow the bag to sit further down in the pocket (I did a set like that for my CC dually before swapping to PB lower arms).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-23-2016, 08:16 PM   #55
Brando_Vanschoyck

Quote:
A rear Z isn't stronger or better vs step notched rails. The step notch is a better approach vs c-notching. The strength of the rail is in it's height. Take any height out & it's no longer as strong. If the c-notch is minimal (1/3 the height of the rail) reinforcement can be done but one would have to calculate to know if they're better/worse vs their starting point. Of course, this is assuming the fabricator is capable and/or subject to variation.....

I did a rear Z for multiple reasons on my 64:
  • I wanted to keep the bags in the OE location (as far outboard as possible) to allow running wider wheels if desired.
  • The available bolt-on 4-bar set-ups @ the time kind of limited wheel width or were very costly (no aftermarket extreme T/A drops were available @ the time).
  • My previous set-ups were 6/8" drops w/the stock front x-member & rear suspension arrangement. I went w/a Dropmember up front which raised suspension locating points 3" so I simply raised the rear rails the same amount. This kept everything consistent (which as mentioned worked well for my previous set-ups) & allowed using a 1pc driveshaft (more than 1 guy out there fighting driveline vibration issues w/the extreme drops & 2pc shaft set-ups). Why a 1pc shaft? Cheaper/easier to sort through vs the 2pc.
  • Extended my fab skills.
  • Extended my knowledge (I did a bunch of research on all aspects of the build).

It's 50/50 (Z vs the tall step notch approach) depending where you locate the bags and/or which type of bag chosen.

6.50/16 = 6.50 + 6.50 + 16 = 29" tall. Cups & plates should get you close or just re-work your lower a-arms to allow the bag to sit further down in the pocket (I did a set like that for my CC dually before swapping to PB lower arms).

Always such great info and great replies! Thank you so much for all of your time helping me! I wanted to do the Z in front and back to work on my fab skills and challenge myself!!! I also wanted to try to do as much custom work as possible with minimal buying to again challenge myself and LEARN! I also want to keep the trailing arm setup and run my bags in the stock location! I always look forward to your replies my friend and I really appreciate your help and admire your knowledge! I guess I need to finish up my rear Z after thanksgiving (weather allowing since I only have my driveway to work in and it's usually around 28 degrees by the evening here) and just go from there! A few more questions... I am running slam specialties ss-7 bags up front and probably on rear as well. What kind of bolts do I need to mount then to my plates/cups? Would it be ok to get them from my local tractor supply? What size drill bit would I need to drill holes in my crossmember for the plates to bolt to? Sorry for the rookie questions! Again, thank you so much for all of your time!
Old 11-23-2016, 08:52 PM   #56
SCOTI

Quote:
Always such great info and great replies! Thank you so much for all of your time helping me! I wanted to do the Z in front and back to work on my fab skills and challenge myself!!! I also wanted to try to do as much custom work as possible with minimal buying to again challenge myself and LEARN! I also want to keep the trailing arm setup and run my bags in the stock location! I always look forward to your replies my friend and I really appreciate your help and admire your knowledge! I guess I need to finish up my rear Z after thanksgiving (weather allowing since I only have my driveway to work in and it's usually around 28 degrees by the evening here) and just go from there! A few more questions... I am running slam specialties ss-7 bags up front and probably on rear as well. What kind of bolts do I need to mount then to my plates/cups? Would it be ok to get them from my local tractor supply? What size drill bit would I need to drill holes in my crossmember for the plates to bolt to? Sorry for the rookie questions! Again, thank you so much for all of your time!
Usually 3/8" GRADE-8 hardware on the front mounting the plates to the x-member as well as bags to the plates (guessing 1.25" on the mounting plate; 1" on the bag bolts).

The rear would be similar but use thick oversized washers on the bottom bolts (think crankshaft pulley washer thickness). Some 1/4" thick 2x2" mild steel strap drilled would work.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-23-2016, 10:28 PM   #57
sprint_9

Really like the lamp, great idea!
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:47 PM   #58
Brando_Vanschoyck

Quote:
Usually 3/8" GRADE-8 hardware on the front mounting the plates to the x-member as well as bags to the plates (guessing 1.25" on the mounting plate; 1" on the bag bolts).

The rear would be similar but use thick oversized washers on the bottom bolts (think crankshaft pulley washer thickness). Some 1/4" thick 2x2" mild steel strap drilled would work.
The plates came with mounting hardware just not hardware that actually bolt into the bags so thanks this answers my question! Great idea on the mild steel strap! Thanks so much!
Old 11-23-2016, 10:48 PM   #59
Brando_Vanschoyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_9 View Post
Really like the lamp, great idea!
Thanks so much!!! You can check out my FB page to see more stuff I've built! Really appreciate the kind words!!
Old 11-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #60
GR8-68

Great work so far my friend, keep going and never give up. Keep listening and keep learning it never ends. I am 46 and still learning, the old learn from the young too so never be afraid to put your input into a conversation.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #61
Brando_Vanschoyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
Great work so far my friend, keep going and never give up. Keep listening and keep learning it never ends. I am 46 and still learning, the old learn from the young too so never be afraid to put your input into a conversation.
I really appreciate it, thanks a ton! I plan to keep going and trying to learn and improve each day! I actually went to a university and graduated with a bachelors of exercise science because my mom wanted me to go to college. My dream has always been to be some kind of artist/musician/something creative. After going from job to job and hating my life I decided it was time to choose my own path. My dream is to create things and make a decent living from that. I like to be away from crowds/people most of the time, so if I could have a successful small business that would be perfect for me. I'd love to be able to just go into my own shop and build things for people and pay the bills that way. I've been smirked at and laughed at recently when voicing this plan of mine, but what many people don't know is I thrive on proving people wrong. I was 110lbs at 17yrs old and the weakest kid in my high school, people also laughed when I told them I'd be one of the strongest people they ever knew, flash forward and I'm 29yrs old chasing down a 1,000lb squat at 230lbs and 5'7". Have already nailed an easy 800 with plenty videos and pics as proof! Your post really inspires me along with everyone else's support here. I may never be as talented or successful as porterbuilt (basically my new hero's) but I won't stop trying!! Thank you guys so much for helping me stay motivated, lately I had kinda been down in the dumps when it came to trying to start this business. I love this place!
Old 11-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #62
Brando_Vanschoyck

Hey guys, haven't been able to work on the truck in a day or two because im out of materials but I figured I'd show you guys some more of my work/projects! Everything pictured I've built with an angle grinder, stick welder, and flat bar.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2016, 01:56 PM   #63
projectking

It's sad there's so many insecure people in this world that feel it necessary to hurt others so they feel better.....

Those dice are sweet btw!
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #64
Brando_Vanschoyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectking View Post
It's sad there's so many insecure people in this world that feel it necessary to hurt others so they feel better.....

Those dice are sweet btw!
Thanks so much brother! They're a lot of work to get them all straight. They're six, 3"x3" squares of 3/16" mild steel all welded together then ground all the bevels with my grinder and a flap disc. Drilled the dots with a hand drill!!!
Old 11-24-2016, 02:34 PM   #65
Brando_Vanschoyck

Here she some other dice in different stages, the smaller dice are 2x2" tha last pic is of a 3x3" die. I totally agree it's sad people try to hold other people down, I am all for people reaching for the stars.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2016, 08:07 AM   #66
rusty76

Nice work and a very cool truck. I'm really digging it.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #67
GR8-68

Quote:
I really appreciate it, thanks a ton! I plan to keep going and trying to learn and improve each day! I actually went to a university and graduated with a bachelors of exercise science because my mom wanted me to go to college. My dream has always been to be some kind of artist/musician/something creative. After going from job to job and hating my life I decided it was time to choose my own path. My dream is to create things and make a decent living from that. I like to be away from crowds/people most of the time, so if I could have a successful small business that would be perfect for me. I'd love to be able to just go into my own shop and build things for people and pay the bills that way. I've been smirked at and laughed at recently when voicing this plan of mine, but what many people don't know is I thrive on proving people wrong. I was 110lbs at 17yrs old and the weakest kid in my high school, people also laughed when I told them I'd be one of the strongest people they ever knew, flash forward and I'm 29yrs old chasing down a 1,000lb squat at 230lbs and 5'7". Have already nailed an easy 800 with plenty videos and pics as proof! Your post really inspires me along with everyone else's support here. I may never be as talented or successful as porterbuilt (basically my new hero's) but I won't stop trying!! Thank you guys so much for helping me stay motivated, lately I had kinda been down in the dumps when it came to trying to start this business. I love this place!
Let me tell you a story, a true one. There is no goal that is non achievable if you want it bad enough. I work for a small business building custom cabinetry, the owner of this company dropped out of school in the 8th grade because he knew he wanted to build cabinets and furniture for a living. He worked for his dad who also built cabinets up until about 14 years ago when he knew it was time to go out on his own and start his own shop. He started off with just a few tools and a couple pieces of power equipment and two guys helping him, he jumped out on a limb and took out a business loan and bought more equipment after only building a few jobs in the 20000 sq ft facility he had leased. I started there just 2 years after he started and I have watched it grow into now a successful business of 34 employees and a multi million dollar company and four years ago we purchased a 40000 sq ft facility. The only dreams you can not achieve are the ones you don't chase my friend never let anyone tell you it is not possible. You have a marvelous talent so use for your happiness and others.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
Old 11-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #68
Brando_Vanschoyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Nice work and a very cool truck. I'm really digging it.
Thank you so much I really appreciate it!!!
Old 11-25-2016, 11:48 AM   #69
Brando_Vanschoyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
Let me tell you a story, a true one. There is no goal that is non achievable if you want it bad enough. I work for a small business building custom cabinetry, the owner of this company dropped out of school in the 8th grade because he knew he wanted to build cabinets and furniture for a living. He worked for his dad who also built cabinets up until about 14 years ago when he knew it was time to go out on his own and start his own shop. He started off with just a few tools and a couple pieces of power equipment and two guys helping him, he jumped out on a limb and took out a business loan and bought more equipment after only building a few jobs in the 20000 sq ft facility he had leased. I started there just 2 years after he started and I have watched it grow into now a successful business of 34 employees and a multi million dollar company and four years ago we purchased a 40000 sq ft facility. The only dreams you can not achieve are the ones you don't chase my friend never let anyone tell you it is not possible. You have a marvelous talent so use for your happiness and others.
You have no clue how much this means to me. Thank you so so so much to take time out of your day to share this with me. I have grown up very poor, and always had to work my ass off for anything/everything I've gotten. So did my mother and my grandmother. All I want to do is be successful by using my own two hands and make other people happy in the process. You have no clue how much you have motivated me! I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!! A small personal story. As a kid, at one point I was so poor I didn't have a bed or anything else. All I had was hand me down comic books. I now have my left arm covered in what looks like a comic strip sleeve to remind me where I came from. Thanks for all of the kind words here it means so much to me.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #70
Brando_Vanschoyck

Here's some pics of my left arm. One of my best friends did all the work.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2016, 04:35 PM   #71
rusty76

Cool
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #72
LongBox

Just a thought, but I'm wondering if you might be planning to do some air-brush art on the body of your truck? Something that is sort of 70s boogie van retro? You have the talent, and you want something very individualistic.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:57 AM   #73
Brando_Vanschoyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBox View Post
Just a thought, but I'm wondering if you might be planning to do some air-brush art on the body of your truck? Something that is sort of 70s boogie van retro? You have the talent, and you want something very individualistic.
Hey thanks for the kind words my friend!!! I would definitely like to try some airbrushing sometime, never really done any of that!! The only problem is my artwork is a little on the dark/weird/creepy side haha! I hand drew the logo in my avatar with a sharpie marker and had it vectorized. I think it's an awesome idea and would love to try it!! I really appreciate the confidence you have in me that means a lot!!!
Old 11-26-2016, 02:06 AM   #74
dmjlambert

Brando_Vanschoyck, this is a really groovy thread, man! That work you're doing on the truck looks nice. And the art is really great. I like those dice a lot, you need to hang them from a reinforced rear view mirror when you're done with the truck. I'll bet it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for you to move your art over to the light side, perhaps do unicorn, butterfly, and rainbow art on the side of that truck! :-)

No, seriously, that stars and stripes flag art is really cool, too. I wonder if something to that effect could be put all along the side of the truck, kind of like a super-fat body trim/moulding.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:15 AM   #75
GR8-68

You may also have an eye for photograhy, the view, background and lighting you have on your pics has a cool effect

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant