The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2017, 08:45 PM   #1
shp4man

Cheap aluminum radiator install in 6 cylinder truck.

My truck's a driver. So the old Harrison original radiator was starting to leak at the top seam, it already had a bunch of other leaks, and the only thing keeping it going was a crapload of stopleak. So.. did a bunch of research. There are brass radiators available, but $450 is above my Ramen eating price range. I figured out the aluminum radiator that was available at Rockauto and other places was the same Chinese part, so ordered the cheapest one.
The part is listed as fitting a six, but in reality, it's a V8 radiator. Surprise.
After unpacking it, you can see the thing is fully half again bigger that the OE Harrison.

So I figured I would make it work. You have to completely remove all the old six banger shroud tin. 3 of 1/2 head bolts on each side 3 of 3/8 head bolts on the top. The "U" shaped bottom radiator brackets are riveted on, and you have to grind the rivets off (not easy) to move them to the higher V8 position on the crossmember they mount on. Just used 5/16 bolts and nuts to re-attach them.

See the square holes? Those are the six banger radiator lower mount holes. Also had to get a new top radiator hose, as the old one was too short.
I used new rubber on the lower mounts and the OE rubber from the original six cylinder mounts on my "homemade" top bracket.

The advantage of this is nothing is butchered and the OE stuff could be bolted back in.
Also, there's room for an A/C condenser in front of the bigger radiator.

Now I can drive the truck uphill, in the desert at 112 degrees, no problem!

Last edited by shp4man; 07-08-2017 at 09:07 PM.
shp4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:44 PM   #2
shp4man

Re: Cheap aluminum radiator install in 6 cylinder truck.

In addition, if the 6 takes a dump at some point, this may be enough to cool my dream replacement engine, a big ass 455 Olds.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:06 AM   #3
Backpayne

Nice! Do you have a link to it? I actually have an Olds 455 in the machine shop right now. Oh yeah!
Attached Images

Backpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
Chevy Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpayne View Post
Nice! Do you have a link to it? I actually have an Olds 455 in the machine shop right now. Oh yeah!
I'm not saying you want this one but you might want to put one of these types in if you are doing a 455 olds. You really need a radiator with big capacity. http://www.speedcooling.com/1963_196..._Radiator.html . You can also get it with a duel fan set up for a bit more money of course. http://www.speedcooling.com/1963-196...um-Shroud.html

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote