The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2003, 07:03 PM   #1
Dropt72Shortbed

need more help on neutral safety switch/wiring. truck still wont start

ok you guys pointed out that i didnt have my neutral safety switch hooked up in the pictures i posted. i looked at my column, there is no where for those wires to plug into the column, in fact other than the round semi circle connector coming off the steering column, there is NO where to plug anything into the column (see picture below)

also you guys said the neutral safety switch had two heavy guage purple wires on it. in the picture i posted of the clip you guys said was in fact the neutral safety switch, the wires are both green, not purple. the only thick heavy guage purple wire i have is going to the ignition key.

despite the colors being wrong i tried to jump the wires together on then neutral safety switch like you guys told me to do. still wont start. i dont think its getting any power. nothing was changed on the front end of the truck since it last started a month ago, only the cab wiring was removed for a cab swap.

any other ideas?

as you can tell i know jack about wiring. i took pictures of all the wiring before i removed it and saved it on my computer, now of course i cant find the pictures!!!

i might just have to have it towed over to a local shop and have them install a new harness or something.

heres the pics of the column, where is the neutral safety switch supposed to plug in? i threw on a ruler so you can let me know about where?
Attached Images

Last edited by Dropt72Shortbed; 04-03-2003 at 07:06 PM.
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 07:27 PM   #2
jays68yak

Should be two connectors going to the NS. One set with green wires and one set with purple wires. You need to find the purple wires. That should be your problem. I know one of the wires coems from the ing switch.

Good luck

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. "
jays68yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 09:07 PM   #3
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

Your switch should be screwed to the column in the top picture at 3-3/8" on your ruler. The rectangular hole is where it belongs.

You should really get yourself a simple $7 test light. Then you will know if there is juice at the switch. Since this has been apart, every connection from the battery back is suspect. Do you have the red wire connected at the small junction block next to the battery? Is the inline fues good? Check there and work your way back to the firewall. The heavy red wire will be the hot feed all the way up to the switch. Then it is the heavy purple wire down to the starter. Good luck!

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 09:41 PM   #4
Dropt72Shortbed

hymm apparently my truck never had a neutral safety switch... kinda interesting that it was starting up fine without it before i did the cab swap?

where can i buy a new neutral safety switch? is this a simple install or does a shop have to do it?
Old 04-03-2003, 10:11 PM   #5
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Questions:

1. Did your truck start life as an automatic? If not and the original harness is still in place you won't have a neutral/saftey switch so the whole topic is moot. Does not explain not turning over but at least you can move beyond this point.

2. Was there any non-stock wiring under your dash and/or odd switches? Perhaps someone installed an ignition cutoff switch as part of an "anti-theft" deterrent?

3. You must have removed your ignition switch to do the swap. Check to make sure all wires are firmly seated in the back of the switch. If you are using a different ignition switch, replace it with the original.

4. Do your headlights work?

5. Does your blower fan work when ifnition is in on position?

6 How the heck did your backup lights work without the switrch on the column?

If #4 and # 5 are no, then no jiuce to fusebox. Double check the coupling of the harnesses on the outside of the firewall, maybe they are not connected securely. The red wire that runs from the junction on the pass side fender is what brings the electricity to the cab.

You need to get a tester, couple of bucks. Use it to further check for jiuce at the fuse box, the "ignition unswitched" or cig lighter spades will work for this. If nothing there then you need to move to outside cab firewall and work back

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all

Last edited by CPNE; 04-03-2003 at 10:15 PM.
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 10:37 PM   #6
Dropt72Shortbed

Quote:
Originally posted by CPNE
Questions:

1. Did your truck start life as an automatic? If not and the original harness is still in place you won't have a neutral/saftey switch so the whole topic is moot. Does not explain not turning over but at least you can move beyond this point.
bingo!

damn im an idiot why didnt i think of that!

no according to the vin# it was a 6cyl 3 spd! must be the original harness with no neutral safety switch...
Old 04-03-2003, 10:40 PM   #7
Dropt72Shortbed

thanks for the help CPNE

good check list.. im gonna go buy a tester this weekend and try track down whats not working.

i called a few shops thinking i would just buy all new wiring harnesses from gmcpauls (lol my shopping cart came to $500+! in harnesses) and the shops were telling me stuff like $600-$1000 labor!

i soon realized i need to figure this out on my own, i dont have that kinda cash!
Old 08-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #8
2labman

I'm having the same problem with my 71 blazer it's a 4 speed and didn't even have a nss on it so I bought one and know I need to put the purple wires on it but idk what other 2 wires I'm supposed to put on it or where the switch gets power from
Posted via Mobile Device
2labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:20 PM   #9
SIXTY9

Re: need more help on neutral safety switch/wiring. truck still wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2labman View Post
I'm having the same problem with my 71 blazer it's a 4 speed and didn't even have a nss on it so I bought one and know I need to put the purple wires on it but idk what other 2 wires I'm supposed to put on it or where the switch gets power from
Posted via Mobile Device
The other two connections are for the reverse lights on a automatic. If I am not mistaken the trucks with standard transmissions did not have a safety switch. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
SIXTY9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #10
OUbesto

Re: need more help on neutral safety switch/wiring. truck still wont start

Agree with sixty9, manual trans did not use a NSS.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: need more help on neutral safety switch/wiring. truck still wont start

Vehicles with straight drives DO NOT have NSS neutral safety switches. Most manual transmissions have a plug on the case for the backup lights.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote