The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #1
hatzie

Re: Making an old truck feel new

The rag joint seems to have a different slightly looser feel compared to the Universal joint steering shafts in newer vehicles.

You could look into Borgeson either a complete shaft or components... Or a Jeep steering shaft if you're on a tighter budget... YJ series I believe. Make sure to keep something similar to the collapsibility of the original... it's one of the safety enhancements on the squares compared to the 60's rigs and it actually helps in an accident.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #2
GMC Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
The rag joint seems to have a different slightly looser feel compared to the Universal joint steering shafts in newer vehicles.

You could look into Borgeson either a complete shaft or components... Or a Jeep steering shaft if you're on a tighter budget... YJ series I believe. Make sure to keep something similar to the collapsibility of the original... it's one of the safety enhancements on the squares compared to the 60's rigs and it actually helps in an accident.
good point, I have replaced the rag joint recently, but i do very much want to upgrade the box and the shaft all together. Perhaps less assist on the steering so that the slightest input doesn't make it dance around.
L33 5.3/4l65e

.................__
............._____l __\__
..............l_(O)_ l___(O)]
GMC Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #3
stanski

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC Guy View Post
good point, I have replaced the rag joint recently, but i do very much want to upgrade the box and the shaft all together. Perhaps less assist on the steering so that the slightest input doesn't make it dance around.
Check out my post yesterday regarding changing the power steering pump volume.
stanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #4
TKCR

I go crazy over noises and everything I have done, has helped a ton. I have heard that some people are getting wind noise after having their vents rebuilt. Mine are way better now. Also replaced all the other seals and door sweeps. Like Mattchu60, I got the upper door seal too, I just never installed them since the wind noise is better.
The other things I did, was while the cab was gutted to change interior color, I added Fat Mat to the floor and roof ( under the headliner). Fat Mat on the back wall behind the seat. Then the cardboard piece behind the seat, I put speaker carpet on it. Also lined the insides of the doors with Fat Mat.
On the cab floor: on top of the Fat Mat, I put the factory tar mat back down. I then used a foiled back jute padding. Then the new carpet, which had jute on the backside.
Behind the rear speakers, there is a space up between the rear panels. I put insulation in there.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #5
bennylava

The interior squeaks and rattles have to be hunted down and fixed individually, unfortunately. But if you keep at it, you will eventually get them all. For more complete sound deadening, add a layer of closed cell foam, and then a layer of mass loaded vinyl on top of your Dynamat. Throwing down some dynamat and calling it done, just isn't the proper method. It will help, but to do the job right you need the foam and the vinyl. Most people won't do this because to fully sound dampen a vehicle the right way gets somewhat expensive. But it doesn't look like you mind spending money on the truck. Google sounddeadenershowdown, that guy pretty much has it figured out.

I'd check your wheel bearings, too. If you didn't replace them. And yeah the rag joint as someone mentioned. Also keep in mind that there is always the possibility that your steering box might need the adjustment screw tightened just a tad. I know you said the box is new, but you never know... could be things weren't done perfect wherever it was built/rebuilt. I really don't know how to tell when that adjustment is right where it needs to be, though.

But back to sound deadening, I'd get this for the doors:

http://cascadeaudio.com/car_noise_co...r_door_kit.htm
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:18 AM   #6
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
I go crazy over noises and everything I have done, has helped a ton. I have heard that some people are getting wind noise after having their vents rebuilt. Mine are way better now. Also replaced all the other seals and door sweeps. Like Mattchu60, I got the upper door seal too, I just never installed them since the wind noise is better.
The other things I did, was while the cab was gutted to change interior color, I added Fat Mat to the floor and roof ( under the headliner). Fat Mat on the back wall behind the seat. Then the cardboard piece behind the seat, I put speaker carpet on it. Also lined the insides of the doors with Fat Mat.
On the cab floor: on top of the Fat Mat, I put the factory tar mat back down. I then used a foiled back jute padding. Then the new carpet, which had jute on the backside.
Behind the rear speakers, there is a space up between the rear panels. I put insulation in there.
damn that's tight!
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote