The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
kieth

Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
My brother is making (with a stero lithograph printer) copies of the metal bracket required to adapt the 9 tooth power window unit. 10-12 of these will be available for free prototype testing. Only charge will be for postage....first come first served. Call or text 918-630-4665------email kieth.ruleco@hotmail.com
update, guy who digitizes the part has been on vacation. Will get started on bracket this week. Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:53 PM   #2
88k5jimmy

Quote:
update, guy who digitizes the part has been on vacation. Will get started on bracket this week. Kieth
Kieth

Did you find takers for your prototype testing?

Quote:
UPDATED VIDEO;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9_7...ature=youtu.be

this shows my install of the retro window crank handle from Auto Loc; ALso my complaining of the PRICE!!! $100 per side; and the thing BINDS when engaged! What a low end piece of garbage, IMHO.

Speaking of low end pieces of garbage, you will see the other set of retro crank switches I bought, from Dannys Rod Shop on EBAY. these have a knurled shaft that does not even close fit my handles. My guess, fits 67-72. My loss, $139 gone.

In any case, the pass window is done on inside, now I need to run wires to ignition fused and GND.

BTW, does anyone know a good pass through that I can shuttle wires from cab to door? Something nice? I saw a spring with great mount for door and cab, wires ran through spring, I am sorry I did not buy when saw....

further, I have video coming where I do actual modification of regulator and mount motor to it for prep for drivers door, coming in next day or so.

Lastly, I may give you a sneak peak at a new product I am testing out, is a solid state module that will add one-touch express window up/down and power door lock control, also has receiver and transmitter fob for remote entry.
Steve

Any updates on window switch after the Auto Loc one? What about wiring routing update?
88k5jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:01 PM   #3
Steve Van Gent

Steve

Any updates on window switch after the Auto Loc one? What about wiring routing update?

Sorry, been distracted. No, sadly, the Auto Loc switch is best I have found. I dont think a DIY version will work the way I want with the time I am willing to invest. I would love it if someone would work that angle;

On the routing, I ran wires as inconspicuously as I could, but I will be re-running them soon and post an update.

Lastly, for Express up and down, I am testing a module for a friend that is in beta design phase right now; it is programmable and one use is for power windows; This one has been programmed for use in a vehicle with retro handles; Is very cool what user can do with OEM old school handle! I will post details once install is complete and pretty.
Steve Van Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
Pontiacgurudan

As a motorcycle mechanic I started thinking about the shift mechanism, the shaft has a centering spring that straddles a pin holds the spring and acts as a stop to limit travel. If I can find a mechanism with the same spline as the window lever I think I can make a stout switch using a couple micro switches and relays. Here's a pic of a Honda shift mech with the spring. Anybody have any thoughts on this idea?
Attached Images

Pontiacgurudan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
1enick72

Late but following

edited by staff
1enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:04 PM   #6
Steve Van Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacgurudan View Post
As a motorcycle mechanic I started thinking about the shift mechanism, the shaft has a centering spring that straddles a pin holds the spring and acts as a stop to limit travel. If I can find a mechanism with the same spline as the window lever I think I can make a stout switch using a couple micro switches and relays. Here's a pic of a Honda shift mech with the spring. Anybody have any thoughts on this idea?
That is a cool idea! Had not considered this. How much are these Shift mechanisms? Still need a cam and switches mounted to toggle...
Old 10-31-2018, 01:44 AM   #7
Pontiacgurudan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Van Gent View Post
That is a cool idea! Had not considered this. How much are these Shift mechanisms? Still need a cam and switches mounted to toggle...
You can get them on eBay or out of almost any Japanese motorcycle. I've been digging around and found one with the correct spline but the shaft is too long. I have a handful more to go through, if I don't find the perfect match I'll start cutting and welding. I'll try to post some pics soon, doing it at work on during downtime.
Pontiacgurudan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #8
The Rocknrod

Quote:
I email you this weekend for info on that bracket.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:17 AM   #9
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

ok who has the parts list?? lol
Sick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:40 PM   #10
Steve Van Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick5 View Post
The parts list is scattered in this thread, but trust me, it is all here. When I get a few free minutes, I will pull it all together...
Old 03-24-2021, 10:25 AM   #11
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Van Gent View Post
The parts list is scattered in this thread, but trust me, it is all here. When I get a few free minutes, I will pull it all together...
Thank you so much for the write up and the you tube. read all this again and watched all your videos, great stuff.

With that said, i have found all four motors on Amazon and the pigtails. Any new updates on this? I know one person added some metal to the back to mount the motor differently, did this pan out or ? I was wondering if it made installing the wing window any easier?

Thanks again.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:31 PM   #12
CousinTone

Hey all, ave got a quick update that addresses the spacing issue for the use of the square body plate and the Astro van that Steve posted a while back.

As I was watching his videos, over and over to understand the process, I followed his guidance and came up with a few updates that will make the fit a bit more square and not place any extra pressure on the post/axle of the teeth in the motor.

Here’s a few pics of how I followed Steve’s instructions and where I added some updates.

For the motor, I used a small angle grinder, it’s easier to manage this close cut and not damage the sector or gear teeth, you have to grind at an angle to miss the teeth while removing the gear cover, so go slow and carefully.

You also need to grind down the rivets as seen adjacent to the opening and you can see that started as I cut.
Attached Images

Last edited by CousinTone; 07-05-2021 at 10:40 PM.
CousinTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:35 PM   #13
CousinTone

As you remove the gear cover, go ahead and smooth the new opening with a file or carbide burr.
Attached Images

CousinTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:55 PM   #14
Steve Van Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick5 View Post

Had a few minutes today, here is list so far;

MOTOR with correct tooth pitch (GMC Safari model):

https://www.carparts.com/details/Che...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Spacer that must be used for mounting motor above. The motor that comes with spacer will NOT WORK, wrong pitch teeth. WE ONLY WANT THE SPACER THAT COMES WITH THIS MOTOR. Give motor to your square body friends…

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-742-15...Motors+742-150

Manual Regulator that will be used. NOTE: YOU will need both Right and Left side versions, which are different:

https://www.classicparts.com/1964-66...tinfo/18-730/#
https://www.classicparts.com/1964-66...ctinfo/18-729/

Motor Pigtail wiring:

https://www.repairconnector.com/prod...r-1979-up.html

Power window RETRO handle control- this one takes some effort to install and is very generic, not 64-66 friendly, but will work. QUITE EXPENSIVE!!! (ANYONE THAT FINDS A BETTER RETRO SWITCH OPTION, PLEASE POST!)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...UaAktvEALw_wcB