The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Transmission Cooler for 700R$4

I am going to get the completely rebulit with mild shift kit 700R4 I picked up installed in my C10 this coming Spring. I have hidden hotch as well and may tow the odd time so i'm thinking I'd like to install a trans cooler at the same time. My truck has Factory A/C that works, couldn't resist saying that, and I'm wondering does anyone have a trans cooler on their truck and if so what brand, style and where did you mount it? I also have an Autometer Trans Temp gauge I bought in the 80's and never used and would like to install it but I hatethe look of accessory gauges hanging under the dash in anything.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:52 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Transmission Cooler for 700R$4

Might find a way to get a trans temp gauge in the unused dash slot to the right of the column, though I'm not sure if any particular brand fits and has the right sweep. Unless you have a vac gauge or something there already. Could do it how some do the squarebody clock in that slot or something like that. I'm like you Greg, I prefer to have no under-dash aftermarket gauges either, no matter how useful they might be. As for the cooler - I haven't installed one before other than to use the factory setup. I have installed aftermarket engine oil coolers though, and the common place seems to be in front of the radiator - but that was always on non-a/c vehicles, so not so sure it's a great idea to stack things three deep between it, the a/c, and the radiator. I've seen some installed kind of on the outside of the toe-boards, to a side, under the truck - but I'd be concerned about taking a rock and getting a leak and not finding out til I smoked the trans. Probably just paranoid. There, I've been zero help, but at least the world knows we both don't like aftermarket gauges under the dash
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:53 PM   #3
Smitty

When I put mine in years ago, purchased from Bow tie Overdrive. They recommended using a heavy duty cooler. Might check their website and see what they recommend there. They have all the info for the tv cable and also sell adapters for the carb linkage. Mine is mounted to the front side of the core support on the passenger side. Will try to get a couple pictures for you tomorrow.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:58 PM   #4
Smitty

More thought. It is routed through the cooling lines in the radiator. As I recall you want the aux.cooler utilized after the fluid passes through the radiator. Admit I have the ugly gauge below the dash. But like to keep an eye on the temp which has historically run at about 195 degrees.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:51 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Transmission Cooler for 700R$4

GM states 200* are less for the transmission. I used a aux cooler from O-Rielly's. It was used for the 700R-4 with over 250,000 miles on it when I did the LS-6.0 4L80E swap. I ran mine through the radator then the aux and back to transmission.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:51 AM   #6
davischevy

I also ran the fluid through the radiator then the cooler.

My AC also works and the mounting of the trans cooler is a teaser.

I mounted mine through the AC condenser with spacers and clips from the parts store. Don't do that.

The best mount I have seen was on a Custom Camper I have out back, fabricated with one inch angle on the drivers side of the hood latch support. One side was attached to the support and the other to the angle. I will get pics if I can think of it.

I Googled trans cooler mounting and saw a few good ideas.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #7
rjs53

I had a cooler under passenger side floor board then ran lines up to trans cooler. Never had a problem.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #8
57taskforce
All about them K’s

My 57 is on a square body blazer frame and has the factory 350/700r in it. I did like others above, mounted it to the ac condensor and plumbed it after the cooler In the radiator then back to the transmission. Never had any issues. The one I have came from jegs but it’s been so long I don’t recall the specifics.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Transmission Cooler for 700R$4

Here is how mine was installed. You can see the hoses in between the condenser and radiator. You also see the 4 mounts. I also cut foam to be placed in the upper opening to block the air flow from going around it plus I have the radiator panels also to force the air through the condenser and radiator.

Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #10
HO455
Post Whore

I plumb my coolers differently. Through the aftermarket cooler then through the radiator. I started doing it this way when my GTO was daily driver. The car was running a 2500 stall convertor and would run 13.25 at SRP on a good day. I had installed a B&M plate cooler after the radiator and a filter with a temperature sensor after the cooler.
Living in Northern Idaho and driving 40 miles to work in the winter I noticed that the tranny temperature would never get above 100 degrees on the highway when the outside temperature would drop below 30 degrees. I called TCI (I was running one of their transmissions at the time) and they felt that was too low. So I replumbed the system so the cooler was in front of the radiator. That allowed the radiator to add some heat to the oil. In addition in hot weather heat is removed from the transmission oil before it adds heat to the engine coolant. When it got really cold (below 15*) I would have to put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to get the engine to stay warm enough to keep the carb (blocked off heat riser) and me from icing up.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #11
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I plumb my coolers differently. Through the aftermarket cooler then through the radiator. I started doing it this way when my GTO was daily driver. The car was running a 2500 stall convertor and would run 13.25 at SRP on a good day. I had installed a B&M plate cooler after the radiator and a filter with a temperature sensor after the cooler.
Living in Northern Idaho and driving 40 miles to work in the winter I noticed that the tranny temperature would never get above 100 degrees on the highway when the outside temperature would drop below 30 degrees. I called TCI (I was running one of their transmissions at the time) and they felt that was too low. So I replumbed the system so the cooler was in front of the radiator. That allowed the radiator to add some heat to the oil. In addition in hot weather heat is removed from the transmission oil before it adds heat to the engine coolant. When it got really cold (below 15*) I would have to put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to get the engine to stay warm enough to keep the carb (blocked off heat riser) and me from icing up.
I love my 700R's, but I hate cold weather.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:19 PM   #12
6T7 C10

Just another option to consider if you do not already have one is a deep finned aluminum transmission pan may suit your needs enough without the additional plumbing and space required for an auxiliary cooler. (I would still use the stock cooler in the radiator to help modulate transmission temperatures.)
6T7 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:30 PM   #13
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Re: Transmission Cooler for 700R4

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and info. Maybe the deep fined aluminum pan would be all I need. I do not use the truck in Winter so the exterior cooler will work for me if I go that route. HO455 when you metioned cardboard in front of the rad that's just a common occurance up here in the Great White North. In fact my eldest daughter took out the engine on a nice Cutlass cause when she went on a trip in early April and it got unseasonably warm coming back from Calgary and the cardboard was still in front of the rad from the Winter and all the car had was idiot lights and I'm sure she wasn't paying attention when the hot light came on and she seized the engine 100 miles from home at 08:00 on a Sunday morning so guess what i did that day.

Mark I do have a vacuum gauge in my dash. I bought the dash from Paul ( PT's 70CST who did consoles as well ) in 2012 for my pink truck but never installed it and put it in my Highlander 2/3 years ago. You don't see Paul on the boards much anymore and his last post was August 2017.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 01-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #14
mrein3

It does matter where you live. Down south, you want to cool your tranny fluid as much as possible. Up north, you want to heat it.

I'm in Minnesota and do drive my truck in the winter. Calm down, it doesn't see salt, it stays in my driveway doing plow duty and and gets me to my fish house when the ice is thick enough. My transmission fluid runs from the transmission (hot) to the external cooler in front of my factory working AC condenser (cold) to the radiator (warm) then back to the transmission. I plumbed it this way 15 or so years ago and never looked back. I pull boats, plow snow, pull boat docks out of the lake, it gets used.

That said, do get that trans temp cooler installed. Mine is hanging knee-knocker style under the middle of the dash. I too dislike knee-knocker items but form follows function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
I also ran the fluid through the radiator then the cooler.

...snip
Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #15
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
It does matter where you live. Down south, you want to cool your tranny fluid as much as possible. Up north, you want to heat it.

I'm in Minnesota and do drive my truck in the winter. Calm down, it doesn't see salt, it stays in my driveway doing plow duty and and gets me to my fish house when the ice is thick enough. My transmission fluid runs from the transmission (hot) to the external cooler in front of my factory working AC condenser (cold) to the radiator (warm) then back to the transmission. I plumbed it this way 15 or so years ago and never looked back. I pull boats, plow snow, pull boat docks out of the lake, it gets used.

That said, do get that trans temp cooler installed. Mine is hanging knee-knocker style under the middle of the dash. I too dislike knee-knocker items but form follows function.
Thanks for your post. Your the first person who said they mounted it in front of the A/C condenser and to me that wouls be the logical place but was wondering if it would interfere with the operation of the A/C and from what you siad I guess it shouldn't.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #16
Smitty

Mine! I believe it was a Hayden cooler and the application was for an RV. But it has been around 15 yrs. since I did it so am not sure.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2019, 06:03 PM   #17
First c10

I put a hayden -6AN fitting cooler in.
link also has cooling size charts
https://www.haydenauto.com/featured%...s/content.aspx
I used the #689
i also put a bowtie OD lockup kit
http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...php?ITEMID=332
1970 C10 Yellow/White Deluxe LWB w/ 5.3L-LC9/6L80E
1968 K10 LWB Dark green my son calls it "THE HULK Jr"HULK JR *SOLD*
GO GO!!!

Last edited by First c10; 01-07-2019 at 06:09 PM.
First c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:03 PM   #18
BLT gmc

Local guys who haul with their 700R4 and a local trans shop have a really good results with the Derale pan that has the tubes with spirals inside the tube. Significant reductions in oil temp. Good luck, Bruce
BLT gmc is offline   Reply With Quote