The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #1
SoCoC10

WARNING: LMC selling gauge cluster bezels with known issue

I ordered part #38-8018 the black and chrome instrument cluster/gauge bezel from LMC truck in early March and recently got around to needing it. I disassembled the working original cluster. Cleaned all the parts and when I went to reassemble the cluster I found the problem with the new bezel. There are two studs in the mould that should have been removed. They are just above the cut out for the steering column and on either side of the center tachometer location.

After calling LMC and telling them of the issue, they asked that I send pictures. I sent the two pictures and called today to follow up. I spoke to someone in customer service and they said "the issue has been documented back as far as February" and the manufacturer recommends "cutting the studs off with a sharp pair of side cutters."

Needless to say, I wasn't happy with the solution. Don't know about you, but I don't like modifying brand new parts to make them work when they should work/fit right out of the box! Also, the same black and chrome bezel ordered through another vendor that came in a "Counter Parts" box did not have the same issue.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by SoCoC10; 04-11-2019 at 06:36 PM.
SoCoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #2
Rooster73

Re: WARNING: LMC selling gauge cluster bezels with known issue

I have had a few similar issues with Lmc. Called for help and was told to call manufacturers. INDIA. 0 help. Kinda a Walmart thing. If you sell it, at least pretend you care.
Rooster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
palallin

All I can say is, if this were the biggest problem I ever ran into with my truck, I would be the most fortunate (and happiest!) owner in the world. The only reason I would be upset about this would be if removing the studs caused structural or cosmetic damage to the face of the bezel (and I am pretty sure I could manage it without any damage).

Not trying to be too critical of you here, but this falls 'way down on the list of "Known Issues" to Fret About. Cut 'em off and get 'er done!
Old 04-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #4
Sloonz

Yeah, it's not perfect but a pretty minor issue on a cheap part. Thanks for the heads-up though!
Sloonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I never expect aftermarket parts to fit without some sort of modification or slight fitment issue. It's all part of the game of rebuilding old rigs with parts made from moulds and stampings overseas that are really close to original but aren't perfect.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #6
davepl

I don't have a big problem with this, but if LMC knows, why not sit down in the warehouse with pair of side cutters and fix the batch?
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #7
71gmcC15

I try not to order anything from lmc. It's a good referince tool. they are expansive and for what you get form China or what ever i can normaly find it cheaper els were. Ebay ,amazon ,brothers are good plases to start. And you get the same quality some times better. Unless they only have it.
04 chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 5.3 4l60e.
81 chevy Scottsdale k10 muncie sm465 Np208 10 bolt 8.2 ( Old Green)
71gmcC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Unless LMC has an exclusive on an item, they are probably all the same parts that you will get from other vendors as well.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #9
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

So cut off the studs and pour a beer. Lot more things in life to be worried about.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #10
kenr74

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I don't have a big problem with this, but if LMC knows, why not sit down in the warehouse with pair of side cutters and fix the batch?
+1. They are just pushing the problem down the road. Are they going to replace it if you screw up removing the extra parts?
kenr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #11
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
+1. They are just pushing the problem down the road. Are they going to replace it if you screw up removing the extra parts?
It would be too easy for them to do that! It would however, and most likely void the manufactures warranty!

Go figure! That would be why I would be more likely to trust a paying vendor from this site like Gmc Pauls whom does pick and chose whom he sells parts for.

Wonder Why? Say no more!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:00 AM   #12
GMCPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Unless LMC has an exclusive on an item, they are probably all the same parts that you will get from other vendors as well.

Gary
There are a minimum of 7 dash bezel manufacturers we are aware of. We hear regularly how all of these parts come from same manufacturer and that's the case on Newly Released items never produced before. But as a example high hump trans cover available less than 1 year now and already 2 different manufacturers making it and we've heard a 3rd has begun producing it. Front fenders there are almost a dozen companies stamping them in different factories using different tooling. Very few items only have 1 manufacturer. A 1 manufacturer part is Suburban large rear quarter window seals, check the pricing and you can tell there's no competition from another manufacturer so they charge the retailers a inflated price because they can.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #13
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Thank you for that info Paul. It's always great to hear from a major vendor in the aftermarket parts biz.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-13-2019, 01:28 PM   #14
ElKotze

At the time I rebuilt my '68 a few years back I was told by AAW that there is only one Manufacturer for the head light switch and the quality was lousy!! So after it finally quit on me, I went to NAPA to get a new one. I was surprised to see that the new one looked quite different, sturdier and heavier. I'm glad that there is at least one other Manufacturer now.
'72 C20 Cheyenne Super, 396, TH400
'66 C60, 292, 4speed
ElKotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #15
siggyfreud

Always a shame when a vendor won't back a product they sell. I've had companies try and pass the buck, but if they're selling it, they need to own it. It's legitimate if they want to say that to keep costs down they're going with a more generic part that might need some modification, but they need to stipulate that in the ad.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #16
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Say, OT, ask me why you shouldn't spend hours painting a GMB water pump with a brush before trying it on. Yeah, doesn't clear the factory timing chain cover on my BBC. I figured the castings must be straight forward, and after all, "it's an OE" fit. I guess they figure you can just bend the cover, but they can KMA.

Should have gotten an AC Delco to begin with. I'm painting the bottom of it today.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #17
MySons68C20

I finally realized when buying a part that is "supposed" to fit that some modification would be in order.......it's just part of the process. I now expect a certain amount of fabrication to get things to work. It's not really right but just how it is.
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #18
cardude

A Dremmell tool with a cut-off wheel should do the trick if you're careful; won't stress the casting or finish as long as you don't get it too hot.

Then you'll end up with a part that's better than "new"!!
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #19
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I have had these bezels before and yes easy enough to cut the studs off.

I use mainly Counterpart and Woodall bezels. None of them are as nice as OE but we are limited.

Again, I will say, LMC does not design or make parts, they just sell them. I doubt they even open the box to check quality.

LMC = you get whatever they make the most money on.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote