The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
hooverfish

Bring a Trailer, reserve too High ??

So I sent in my info and about 40-50 pictures to the auction site 'Bring a trailer', trying to sell my 72. They said reserve was too high, I could only have reserve of $20k.
So we are several thousand apart on the reserve. I showed them results from Hemmings where in last 3 years they had 228 1972 C10's listed and the average asking price was $29,118. They said asking price didn't mean anything.
My truck is true shortbed, cold factory air, 99% rust free, and pretty damn nice, but not a nut and bolt frame off resto.

What do you guys think ??
Attached Images

"It's a sorry man who can't find his wife a good job"
hooverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:20 PM   #2
Overdriven

Re: Bring a Trailer, reserve too High ??

They’re right when they said “asking price doesn’t mean anything”. You can ask whatever you want with a traditional ad, the host of the ad gets paid whether the price is reasonable and regardless of whether the item sells or not. Prices from completed listings on eBay would make a better argument.

Bring a trailer is an auction site. If they get too many vehicles that don’t sell because they didn’t meet the reserve they look bad. They look bad to sellers who wonder if the site doesn’t have the right audience and buyers who wonder if all they sell is stuff with top tier prices. I’ve watched vehicles on eBay where the price reached a reasonable/fair level and didn’t go up because the reserve wasn’t met. If the seller removed the reserve there would usually be a surge of bidding afterwards.

Idk what a fair value is on your truck, it is pretty damn nice though. Either way, their sandbox, their rules.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:36 PM   #3
hooverfish

I guess my point is I don't think you can buy a truck like this for 20k.

Like you said, I guess they are worried about their batting average.

I'm done with them but it bothers me they try to force you to take a low reserve.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #4
Ekliptix

Your truck is worth $29k all day. I'd suggest listing it on Ebay for even a bit higher reserve and see what happens. You can always relist it for lower a second time. There are few clean original looking SWBs like yours. The PO1 hubcaps will attract those looking for that original look, and bring more money, vs a custom job.

A friend of mine just his at Mercum auction for $39k, and yours is nice. His was a SWB, but had a spray in box liner and rallys.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
weq92f

Good choice to walk I'm afraid. It all depends who is in the room come time for your lot to roll across the block. No reserve or really low reserve ( perhaps in this case ) are best left for auctions with huge action, complete with internet/phone bidders too and best if covered on TV nationally!

Maybe find a smaller, local auction that will let you reserve all you want and just test the crowds. See where the bids to. Might be fun.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #6
Martyt

I think the reserve is too low— for a reserve I would want something in the $27k range— my 2 cents
Old 06-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #7
samkost

hooverfish,

Beautiful SB C10.
You made the right call to look elsewhere for selling your truck.
Your truck, your reserve price, your decision = their loss of your business.

Would love to see more photos or your future sales ad.

Good luck,

Sam
samkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #8
aerotest

Sell it somewhere else. I think a live auction is a better choice for that truck.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:54 AM   #9
weim55

Different priorities for different folks I suppose. I have to say I really like the way bring a trailer runs their program. The 20,000 reserve is reasonable, if the rest of your truck reflects the single picture you posted there’s no chance that truck is going to sell for less than mid to high 20s on BAT. And it will SELL, and that’s what brings more traffic to their site and the seller gets to stay home and doesn’t have to go through all the brain damage of selling a car at a live auction. That’s exciting stuff for some people, a giant pain in the ass for others. The live auction sites generally take a much higher commission plus all kinds of other goofy fees. The seller might even make a couple more bucks in the end or simply walk away when the reserve is not met.

After being in this is long as I have I’m just one of those people that when it’s time to sell I just make it as simple as possible. I only use craigslist for everything, I put a fair market value/price for what i’m selling, no ramped up numbers. I’m firm and nonnegotiable for 30 days of the ad. If you want the item come buy It at that price and take it home. If you don’t, there’s plenty more out there and you can keep fishing. If it hasn’t sold after 30 days I make the choice to let it go to the highest offer or just keep it. I put all this information in the ad so there is no guesswork whatsoever. I suppose I might be able to make a couple more bucks on one of the auction sites, no thanks, I just like to keep it simple and keep the ball entirely in my court.

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:56 AM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverfish View Post
So I sent in my info and about 40-50 pictures to the auction site 'Bring a trailer', trying to sell my 72. They said reserve was too high, I could only have reserve of $20k.
So we are several thousand apart on the reserve. I showed them results from Hemmings where in last 3 years they had 228 1972 C10's listed and the average asking price was $29,118. They said asking price didn't mean anything.
My truck is true shortbed, cold factory air, 99% rust free, and pretty damn nice, but not a nut and bolt frame off resto.

They're right about asking price. I can't offer much without seeing/knowing more of the truck. Rust free SWB is pretty dang nice, and that's a nice looking truck, while 30K is a lot of cash. How many miles on it, how much is original?

Other than that, if you want say 30K for your truck then definitely sell it through another method.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:46 AM   #11
jocko

Too much risk at $20k reserve, I’d sell elsewhere. With a truck that nice, it may take a little longer for the right buyer to come along at the correctly valued price. Patience isn’t one of my virtues, personally, but I think it’s a safer approach with such a nice truck. Considered Barrett Jackson? Despite some of the overpriced fake stuff that sails across the block to a more than willing uninformed buyer - when a true collector vehicle rolls across the block, knowledgeable buyers are there to fight over it. I think it would do well there. But then again, BJ is no reserve at all... ugh.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:50 AM   #12
leddzepp

Just cut to the chase and put it on Barrett Jackson or Mecum. That’s a NICE truck and 2-3 flippers down the road that’s where it’s gonna end up anyways.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:32 AM   #13
mr.precision

Put it on ebay at 30K reserve and watch the potential buyers send you inquiries. That's the way I sold my last collectable car.
mr.precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #14
typerr

I sold my Jeep XJ on bring-a-trailer last year. I had listed my Jeep in the Los Angeles Craigslist for over a month with very little interest. My Jeep was in great shape with a perfect interior and body and an assortment of typical mods but high mileage so BAT required a no-reserve auction which made me a bit nervous. There are thousands (maybe millions) of users of that site so when all was said and done I got exactly what I wanted for the Jeep and she was on her way to a new owner in Iowa. Those guys know the market and know how to sell cars. They have sold a ton of C-10's. Your sweet truck will easily get mid to high 20's on BAT.
typerr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #15
Low Elco

Lots of trucks moving on the c-10 facebook groups. Thats where we bought ours.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #16
Low Elco

Hell, just facebook marketplace. The true wizards have nationwide search, and a lot of stuff moves there.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #17
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Larry, what do you want for you truck, 25K? I might be interested.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:20 PM   #18
Grumpy old man

I don't think he needs any help finding a buyer or deciding on an auction , This threads already had more than 540 views in less than 24 hours and it looks like he may already have a buyer . That's what you call smart marketing .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:48 PM   #19
samkost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I don't think he needs any help finding a buyer or deciding on an auction , This threads already had more than 540 views in less than 24 hours and it looks like he may already have a buyer . That's what you call smart marketing .
This!

I still wanna see some more pictures!
samkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:24 AM   #20
hooverfish

Quote:
My intent in this post was to 'call out' B A T a little bit because of their policy on reserves. And to see if others see this issue same as me (and some do, thank you).
My fear is truck will sell for 23k or 24k. I would continue to keep it on the market before selling that low, I don't have to sell it.
Most people on this site already have trucks and are not looking for expensive finished truck, but it doesn't hurt to post it here, just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkost View Post
This!

I still wanna see some more pictures!
more pictures on Ebay (I relisted it) and a youtube video
https://youtu.be/jo7Yu2JkCFM

Thanks to everyone who posted, I appreciate the support and opinions.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:09 AM   #21
cornerstone

Thanks for the vid! Your truck looks showroom new, I'm sure your going to get your asking price.
Brian

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:35 PM   #22
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 06-12-2019, 06:41 PM   #23
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
My intent in this post was to 'call out' B A T a little bit because of their policy on reserves. And to see if others see this issue same as me (and some do, thank you).
My fear is truck will sell for 23k or 24k. I would continue to keep it on the market before selling that low, I don't have to sell it.
Most people on this site already have trucks and are not looking for expensive finished truck, but it doesn't hurt to post it here, just my opinion.

more pictures on Ebay (I relisted it) and a youtube video
https://youtu.be/jo7Yu2JkCFM

Thanks to everyone who posted, I appreciate the support and opinions.
No way would I sell that for less than 30K. Couldn't tell you what it's worth though. And ILMAO at "un-restored", that truck looks awesome original. If the underneath is like everything else I see, and probably is......It's worth more than a lot of restorations I've seen. Beautiful truck.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #24
69Tom

Jeez, that's a really nice truck. I would have thought you could have gotten $35K for that no problem.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:44 PM   #25
skrenly

Quote:

Larry,
I think 20k reserve is spot on. I just missed this one on EBAY. It sold for 20K. The truck was nice!!

You can get more but you need to get in a auction like Barrett Jacksons. I think it would do 30k+ range there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Chevro...orig_cvip=true
skrenly is offline   Reply With Quote