The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #326
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: My K5 Blazer Story.

However, before I knew I wouldn't be able go on the desert trip we had to take a validation run to prove out our buddy Ian's CUCV Blazer was ready for the big trip. He's running an 8.1/nv4500 combo with one tons like Larry's K10. So we took off for a day run to our normal spot for snow wheeling. Keep in mind these pics were taken in May and we ran into a LOT of moisture at the lower elevations and some killer deep snow at the higher spots. I don't think I've ever wheeled in the snow that late before.

I'm still finding mud on the truck months later.

I made it probably another 1/2 mile breaking trail for the group when I hit a wall. It was up to the hubs and it was solid as block of ice. Stuffed it in good too. Could not back out of it either. Took the Jeep and the Taco tied together to rescue me with a winch.

We got it pulled out and proceeded to make our way back home.

My dog storm had a good time. We found a couple of weak links on Ian's ride for him to fix before the trip too. No major breakage either.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #327
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Missing the desert trip was a bummer, so other plans got made. My Jeep friends were heading up to a spot we like to go to outside of Westcliffe. I had to work that day so the doggo and I went up after I closed the shop and met them up there.

I had made some improvements inside based on the previous year's trips. One major thing was the addition of an ARB refridgerator I bought off of one of the other Desert Rats we go with. I also had a better side bench built by a co-worker much more adept at carpentry than I am. This version is a fully enclosed box with a hinged lid that has a secondary flap that folds out to extend the sleeping area as the old one was too narrow.

The tan Pelican case is the entire cook box. All the cooking gear is in there. It's the first thing out of the back when setting up camp. It's weatherproof so I can leave it out even if the weather turns.

Not many pics going up since I was solo.

Nearing camp.

Setup in camp. With the new setup and better organization I went from parked to camp set up in about 5 minutes flat now. Once set up I rewarded myself with a frosty one from the fridge.

The lake down from the campsite.

So when you wheel with Jeeps in a full size, you end up being able to carry the stuff they don't have room for, like a camp stove and food to cook on it!

While everybody was sleeping in tents me and the doggo had it comfy inside the camper.

Coming back down.

Summer was crazy with work and not a lot of time for off road fun. The plan was to attend Blazer Bash at the end of the summer in Moab.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #328
Zoomad75
K5Camper

That brings us up to Blazer Bash which I already have a full write up on in the 4x4 section I'll link to here.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=793485

I did get one more run in before the snow started flying around here. Bill and John and I did a quick run over Medano Pass and a side trip up a good chunk of the Blanca Peak trail.

Medano is a very basic trail most stock pickups can handle. But when the leaves are changing color it's very pretty to see. Here is where we stopped on the west side of the pass where we stopped to eat lunch.

The Trail leads into the Great Sand Dunes National Park. It was loaded with people.

It was at this point we decided to escape the crowds and go somewhere to escape them. Bill brought up Blanca Peak nearby. Blanca is arguably one of the toughest in the state, known for fatalities and many rollovers. And we plan on taking a basically stock Taco and my overgrown K5 on it. John's TJ was really the most capable to be on that trail with Long arm suspension and air lockers. So we figured make the Taco go first like a bird in a mineshaft, as in if he couldn't make it further we'd stop and come back down.

After driving up over a mile of loose rock on the initial climb, the trail gets steep and starts going up a series of tight switchbacks.

Certain parts of the climb let us see the view back down into the wide and flat San Luids valley.

It's a steep trail at every turn. Plus the further we go the more narrow it's becoming.

We make it further up the trail near the first major section known as Jaws 1 to find this hammered Cherokee that's obviously been rolled a couple of times. This can't be good for us.

This is getting ugly fast. However the sheer drop downhill on the left side of the rock is the dangerous part. The climb over the rock tilts the truck to the downhill side. We wisely decide it's not worth it to proceed and elect to climb down in search of a good campsite.

After coming down for a while I found a spot tucked away in the Juniper trees that looked promising.

I cooked up a mess of Cheesesteak sandwiches for the group and hung out until it was fully dark. My nephew and I turned into the camper with the furnace keeping the camper nice and toasty inside.

The following morning I cooked a big breakfast of bacon and eggs for everybody. We broke camp after breakfast and came home via a new route avoiding La Veta Pass.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #329
70inbville

is that area around horseshoe lake? I grew up I Pueblo and spent tons of weekends around that area. beautiful waterfall dropping out of horseshoe into tons of beaver ponds down below. ahh memories!
70inbville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #330
MTCK

Great write ups, Rob. Sorry to see you missed DT19 but looks like the blazer is still getting lots of use!

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:09 PM   #331
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70inbville View Post
is that area around horseshoe lake? I grew up I Pueblo and spent tons of weekends around that area. beautiful waterfall dropping out of horseshoe into tons of beaver ponds down below. ahh memories!
Horseshoe lake is on the Hermit Lake trail outside of Westcliffe. It's one of three trails on the west side of the valley. Rainbow lake (aka Cloverdale mine) is the northern-most trail, Medano is the southern-most trail and Hermit is in between them. Of the three trails only Medano goes all the way over to the other side which is the San Luis valley. Hermit used to go all the way over too, but it got closed near the top many years ago. Hermit also is an extremely rocky trail now. Not so much a full blown rock crawling trail, but it's covered in annoyingly lose and smaller rocks that makes travel slow and methodical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCK View Post
Great write ups, Rob. Sorry to see you missed DT19 but looks like the blazer is still getting lots of use!
Yep, I was bummed, but what I missed was Death Valley and without AC it would have proved to be rough. I didn't get the truck out as much as I would have liked but made sure when I did get it out I was going to have fun. I can say I did for sure.