The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
osaltyone

New Wiring harness

I am @ the point where I want to start wiring. Years ago I bought an American Autowire updated kit (500467) for my 49, but never installed it.
Now I stripped everything out of the truck and am going with a 5.3/4l60e Holley Terminator X Max, Dakota digital RTX gauges and eventually Vintage Air. I am thinking I don’t really need this American Autowire complete kit and should pick up a smaller kit. I am thinking most my wires might be bundled under the dash and not used. What are your thoughts? Any suggestions? Also where do list run the wiring loom to get to the engine bay? I shaved most the holes in my firewall.
Attached Images

osaltyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
jweb

Re: New Wiring harness

I'm sure you will get several good options/ opinions on this.

I used the Speedway 12 circuit since my truck doesn't have many accessories . You may want the 22 circuit for yours. I have an LS motor, stock gauges and no AC.

There are going to be a lot of questions to answer before you decide. Like, where do you plan to mount the fuse panel? Where will your PCM be? Some of these harnesses have longer wires than others, so you may need to check the length before buying.

Knowing where you will mount the fuse panel will also help to determine where the wiring goes through the firewall.

Speedway 22 circuit:
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/22-Ci...it,229874.html
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:38 PM   #3
osaltyone

The AAW has it set up to mount on the backside of the drivers hinge bolt. You remove the bolts and install longer setup. So was thinking to mount it there nothing too fancy. I can make a cover for it later down the road. It’s going to be a lot under that little dash.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
mr48chev

Reading info on that kit on several sites I would say it is the one you want rather than other kits as each section of it is separate and you can either swap out that section or modify it as needed without doing anything to the rest of the harness.

From one vendor.
American Autowire Classic Update Series Complete Wiring Kit

Accessory disconnect provided for connections to power windows, power seats, cruise control, fuel pump, power door locks, extra radio (CB), or optional power accessory.
New floor dimmer switch is provided. Wire length and connection accommodate original floor mount dimmer switch.
Standard turn signal flasher, hazard flasher, and horn relay mounted on fuse panel.
Fuse box and custom mounting plate are designed for bolt-in under dash installation. All required hardware supplied. Location selected for easy accessibility and clearance of under dash accessories such as all gauge packages, wiper systems, heating and air conditioning systems, and stock original or aftermarket GM tilt steering columns.
Steering column connectors will plug directly into most aftermarket steering columns as well as 1969 and later GM columns which utilize stock GM turn signal switches. The original column can also be wired by using the supplied mating connector and terminals.
Instrument Cluster wiring is designed with a “cluster harness disconnect" system for easy service and assembly. All original terminals, connectors, and light sockets are also supplied for original cluster gauges.

THIS RIGHT HERE is big:
However, the best aspect to the disconnect system is that any gauge cluster package can be easily and neatly wired in.

A call to American Autowire, tech line probably gets you the info for hooking up the Dakota gauges quite simply.

Heater control panel lighting, power, and blower motor leads are included for original style heaters as well as aftermarket heat and AC updates such as HOTROD AIR, VINTAGE AIR, etc. Connections are also wired in for t

That is where that site's info stopped https://www.psiconversion.com/produc...ng/500467.html

Still it looks like that kit is extremely adaptable to one's needs and I just don't see the need to take a beating on what you spent on it selling it and going out and buying another kit.

Looking at the kit on their website I really like it that they show every section of the kit in the drop downs over on the right https://www.americanautowire.com/sho...55-chevy-truck The kit is expensive compared to a lot of them but there is no guessing on anything.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 10-12-2020 at 08:05 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #5
layinrocker65

It’s pretty easy to remove the wiring from the unneeded circuits in the AAW harness. They are top quality so I’d still with that.
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:13 PM   #6
mr48chev

This right here is gold for guys on here who want to have a key start in their AD trucks. Absolute gold https://smhttp-ssl-87263.nexcesscdn....737_IN_0.0.pdf

I don't see it listed separate but if they will sell it separate it solves the switch in the dash issues.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:22 PM   #7
osaltyone

Yea, after reading more on this kit, I remember why I got it. It includes everything... It’s a ton more than I will need since the Holley only needs a few connections for power and ground, but as said I already spent the $ on it. Just looked like a ton but will work w it after all since I have it.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:10 PM   #8
mr48chev

I'd say that their detailed instructions are worth a bit of that price compared to the issues that some guys have with some of the other kits. The modular units rather than it all being tied together as one unit is nice too. Way more like a factory wiring harness setup.