The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2004, 08:43 PM   #1
mindhive

rear trailing arms

Hey all,

Nees some opinions here. I took the rear end out of my 70 SWB c-10 the other day and finally got around to wire brushing the trailing arms today. I discovered they are both cracked at the spring seat. What I want to know is has anybody made their own arms out of some appropriately sized rectangular tubing. I thought this may an option to clean things up under there a little bit and not sacrifice any strength.

I would radius and weld a stock size bushing shell into the forward end and at the rear cut out a pie peice to get the angle and weld it up then drill the holes for the spring bolt and u-bolt and weld in sleeves so it doesn't crush when tightened. I would also incorporate the trac arm bolt into the end of the arm and mount up some bags at the same time.

I am open to suggestions but am avoiding 4-links, etc. I know I can just buy new arms but I think I can do better for less money myself. I'm just a tinkerer by nature.

Tim
mindhive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:47 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Judging by your plan's description, it seems your are very well versed in fabrication. I'd do it if I was in your shoes.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:19 PM   #3
mindhive

Ya, I wish. Lots of ideas not much skill. You may read about me someday in the headlines. "Dimwit who thinks he can make anything plunges in to the Klamath River in custom truck."

LOL

Tim
Old 07-15-2004, 02:08 PM   #4
grnddwn
belly dragger

Just make sure you put the right bend in the end of the arms for your pinion angle
grnddwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:52 PM   #5
PTS Kustoms

trailing arms

Hotrods to Hell have replacement trailing arms which are better and lighter. Go to www.hotrodstohell.net for more info.
PTS Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 03:24 AM   #6
mindhive

Ya know, originaly I was thinking mostly of doing it for looks and hadn't even priced them. I just figured I could save a little because usually you can by fabbing up stuff. But today I looked in my LMC catalog and they want $399.99 each and Hotrods to Hell want $185.00 each. HOLY COW!!! I'm sure both are as good or better products than my orginals. I think that since no one seems to think it's a completely rediculous/unsafe/retarded idea I'm definetly going to call up some cronies that weld/machine for a living to help me and make my own for like $50 + beer.

Tim

Last edited by mindhive; 07-22-2004 at 03:29 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:30 PM   #7
GMCGRANDS

Bill Turner was building some round tubular versions at one time. I dont recall what he charged. Some mebers have had bad luck with him, he is really slow to ship. He is also hard to reach anymore. Thoght I would mention just to give you an idea.

05' GMC Sierra Denali LQ9
GMCGRANDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 10:49 PM   #8
incoma

Ebay had a pair a few weeks ago that sold for $50.
incoma is offline   Reply With Quote