The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2023, 04:20 PM   #1
K10-Kansas

Wheels spinning when in park

EDIT: After pulling off the pan I saw that my new steering column was shifting te wrong direction and I needed the move the distal lever from the 3pm position to the 9pm position. Before I had pulled off the pan, I realized I was starting the truck in D2 and could never even reach part because the linkage doesn't allow for the extent of the range needed to get to park. I'll have to replace the linkage in the future that allows for a greater range. In addition to this, my np203 won't go into the position closest to the seat. SO when I moved 1 notch from the seat thinking I was then in high, it was in neutral. And I had no clue that that allowed the drive shaft to spin until you all helped me out. Thanks. I got it all put back together today and it is working perfect.

I've got a 77 or 78 K10 chassis. I've just put in a 700r4 and ididit column recently so right now I'm trying to adjust the linkage since I felt like the truck was trying to pull forward while in park with my foot on the brake.

Since I felt like this was happening, and because it just seemed like a safer and easier way to go, and because I also wanted to see if the 4x4 was working and to see if i have an anytime kit, I pulled off the wheels and put the truck on 4 jack stands.

So, while in park (transmission shaft rotated counterclockwise if facing the driver's side of the transmission) my driver's rear wheel is spinning as if it's in drive. When I put it in neutral the passenger rear wheel is spinning.

I bought this truck, hauled it on a trailer, had the crate engine and transmission put in and have never driven it except on and off the trailer before parking it and then swapped out the steering column.

Last edited by K10-Kansas; 06-03-2023 at 07:37 PM. Reason: solution was found
K10-Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 06:59 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Wheels spinning when in park

Does the driveshaft turn or just one of the wheels spin?
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 06:36 AM   #3
K10-Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Does the driveshaft turn or just one of the wheels spin?
Yes the drive shaft is turning
Old 05-09-2023, 07:43 AM   #4
Dead Parrot

Not an expert but many postings about the 700R4 state that unless the shift cable is properly adjusted, transmission damage can happen in just a few miles. I have one that I was considering installing in my C10 so did some research.

While in reverse, does the shaft and rear hub turn the other way?

Do things try to turn while it is in neutral?

Not really related to the transmission issue, check the brake adjustment on the non-turning rear wheel. Might be a bit snug since only the other wheel is turning.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 09:57 AM   #5
D13

If the driveshaft spins with the engine running it's not in park.

Turn it off. Disconnect the column to trans linkage at the trans. Rotate the trans lever to the first (park) detent. Try to rotate the shaft. It should either not rotate or it may rotate a slight bit and then you will hear / feel the park lock pin engage and should not be able to rotate the driveshaft. If it keeps rotating you either are not in park (are in D1, the other last detent) or something is broken inside. Rotate the lever back the other way completely and check again. Once you have located park set the column to park and hook up the lever.

My bet is it's not being shifted fully into park.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 11:49 AM   #6
K10-Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
If the driveshaft spins with the engine running it's not in park.

Turn it off. Disconnect the column to trans linkage at the trans. Rotate the trans lever to the first (park) detent. Try to rotate the shaft. It should either not rotate or it may rotate a slight bit and then you will hear / feel the park lock pin engage and should not be able to rotate the driveshaft. If it keeps rotating you either are not in park (are in D1, the other last detent) or something is broken inside. Rotate the lever back the other way completely and check again. Once you have located park set the column to park and hook up the lever.

My bet is it's not being shifted fully into park.
Thanks, I'll try this tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:05 PM   #7
K10-Kansas

I disconnected the steering column shift rod from the transmission. I can manually spin the drive shaft counterclockwise and clockwise in any gear with the transmission shift rod spun all the way clockwise all, all the way counterclockwise and every gear in between. Does this mean my transmission is screwed up?. It was working fine before I parked the truck and swapped out the steering column.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:46 PM   #8
K10-Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Not an expert but many postings about the 700R4 state that unless the shift cable is properly adjusted, transmission damage can happen in just a few miles. I have one that I was considering installing in my C10 so did some research.

While in reverse, does the shaft and rear hub turn the other way?

Do things try to turn while it is in neutral?

Not really related to the transmission issue, check the brake adjustment on the non-turning rear wheel. Might be a bit snug since only the other wheel is turning.
Hi. Thanks for the reply. Where is there a shift cable on the transmission? It it the detent tv cable?
Old 05-09-2023, 09:52 PM   #9
Dead Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by K10-Kansas View Post
Hi. Thanks for the reply. Where is there a shift cable on the transmission? It it the detent tv cable?
Not sure of the exact terminology. Maybe a 700R4 expert will chime in. My memory from past research says that there is a cable from the trans to the throttle assembly that needs to be adjusted properly or trans damage can happen in just a few miles of use.

The turns by hand in all gears sounds like the transfer case is in neutral.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:05 PM   #10
K10-Kansas

Yeah, the detent/tv cable has to be adjusted well or it can damage the transmission quickly. I'm sure mine was adjusted well and the truck was only driven 30 feet. Just from the car hauling trailer to the garage.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:15 PM   #11
Just call me Sean

It's just a little pin that keeps the driveshaft from turning when in park. That's why you're supposed to use the parking brake also, which I don't. If you have ever shifted into park before the truck stopped completely then you would hear a clicking like noise from the pin trying to lock. Sometimes when cars are towed without the keys and they have to pull it to hook it up it will click instead of dragging the wheels. The transmission should work fine other than having two neutrals. The TV cable would not affect the parking pin.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 11:24 PM   #12
Just call me Sean

Here's a picture although I'm not sure how helpful it is.
Attached Images

Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 04:29 PM   #13
K10-Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
Here's a picture although I'm not sure how helpful it is.
Thanks. I guess I'll pull off the pan and look for this. I don't understand how the pawl could have been damaged though since the transmission was put in, driven around a few blocks by the mechanic to make sure everything was good. Driven onto a flatbed. Then driven off the flatbed and parked.

Is there a chance that me shifting the 4x4 around a bit could have messed something up?

Or could it break while starting and stopping the car hauler on the 3 hour drive home?

Maybe it wasn't in park when I started the truck after putting in the column and then I damage the pawl while moving the gear selector with the engine running?
Old 05-21-2023, 08:44 PM   #14
K10-Kansas

Hi! is this park?
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2023, 06:54 AM   #15
ACS

Yes. That’s park. Is the small linkage rod behind the stepped plate connected at both ends?

Edit: here’s a thread that might help: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ething.843963/

Last edited by ACS; 05-22-2023 at 07:01 AM.
ACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:02 AM   #16
K10-Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS View Post
Yes. That’s park. Is the small linkage rod behind the stepped plate connected at both ends?

Edit: here’s a thread that might help: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ething.843963/
Thanks.

I'll check when I get home. Here's a picture I took yesterday.

There's a chance that when I started the truck it was not in park. I may have had the linkage mis adjusted after putting in the new steering column. Also my brake line blew while trying to get the truck started so there is a chance I shifted without being able to stop the wheels from turning before I did so. I had the truck up on 4 stands with wheels off
Attached Images

Last edited by K10-Kansas; 05-22-2023 at 09:18 AM.
K10-Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 07:05 AM   #17
K10-Kansas

Quote:
Not sure of the exact terminology. Maybe a 700R4 expert will chime in. My memory from past research says that there is a cable from the trans to the throttle assembly that needs to be adjusted properly or trans damage can happen in just a few miles of use.

The turns by hand in all gears sounds like the transfer case is in neutral.
If the np203 transfer case is in neutral while the transmission is in park is it normal for the wheels and drive shaft to spin by hand?
Old 05-25-2023, 09:04 AM   #18
Dead Parrot

From the TM on my M1008 CUCV(military version of an 84 K30). It has the NP208. I would think the NP203 works similar.

"If transfer case control lever is in “N” (Neutral), transfer case is disengaged and
shifting the transmission gearshift lever to “P” (Park) WILL NOT stop the truck
from moving."
Old 05-25-2023, 01:00 PM   #19
MJN

Quote:
If the np203 transfer case is in neutral while the transmission is in park is it normal for the wheels and drive shaft to spin by hand?
Yes, the transfer case is in neutral or disengaged. Would be the same if the transfer case was 'in gear' and the transmission was in neutral.
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 09:18 PM   #20
K10-Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN View Post
Yes, the transfer case is in neutral or disengaged. Would be the same if the transfer case was 'in gear' and the transmission was in neutral.
If the 700r4 is in park causing the pawl to lock the transmission and supposedly prevent the drive shaft and wheels from spinning, how would the np203 in neutral allow the rear axle and rear wheels to spin?

I'm new to all this so just trying to figure out if something is broken or if i just don't understand how it works.
Old 05-25-2023, 09:27 PM   #21
K10-Kansas

Quote:
From the TM on my M1008 CUCV(military version of an 84 K30). It has the NP208. I would think the NP203 works similar.

"If transfer case control lever is in “N” (Neutral), transfer case is disengaged and
shifting the transmission gearshift lever to “P” (Park) WILL NOT stop the truck
from moving."
Man, I've got a lot to learn. Thanks. Okay looks like i need to shift the transfer case into different positions and see if i can get the transmission to behave like it's in park.
Old 05-27-2023, 08:44 AM   #22
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Man, I've got a lot to learn. Thanks. Okay looks like i need to shift the transfer case into different positions and see if i can get the transmission to behave like it's in park.
The transfer case has to be in one of the drive modes to engage the transmission . Neutral was to flat tow short distances as it disengages the front and rear axle/driveshafts from the drivetrain .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 08:49 AM   #23
K10-Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
The transfer case has to be in one of the drive modes to engage the transmission . Neutral was to flat tow short distances as it disengages the front and rear axle/driveshafts from the drivetrain .
Ok thanks. It seemed like last week when I was messing with it, there was only 1 position where the transmission would behave like it was in park. My transfer case is only resting in 4 noticable positions as near as I can tell. And it seemed that only 1 of those positions allowed for park. With the info I've gotten here. I'll have a better go at it today.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:37 PM   #24
K10-Kansas

After pulling off the pan I saw that my new steering column was shifting te wrong direction and I needed the move the distal lever from the 3pm position to the 9pm position. Before I had pulled off the pan, I realized I was starting the truck in D2 and could never even reach part because the linkage doesn't allow for the extent of the range needed to get to park. I'll have to replace the linkage in the future that allows for a greater range. In addition to this, my np203 won't go into the position closest to the seat. SO when I moved 1 notch from the seat thinking I was then in high, it was in neutral. And I had no clue that that allowed the drive shaft to spin until you all helped me out. Thanks. I got it all put back together today and it is working perfect.