The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2012, 03:12 AM   #226
jhaymon

Re: Rustbuket 67 build "Georgia"

i cut the innner roof skin out today to take that piece of wax covered cardboard out and fix a couple of rust holes on my roof seam . im throwing some dynamat in this one. you're right about self destructive. im putting in a headliner so i may just cut the center of the inner skin out so it doesn't trap moisture like the factory design.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #227
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
Hey dude now would be a great time to really quiet the truck down with some sound deadener in the roof. Thats what I am planning on doing to mine when I take the skin off. They say that a lot of your sound and most of your heat comes through the ceiling. Check out this link if you are interested:
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/cld
Even if you were feeling cheap I think that some of these tiles would do wonders. And I figured up how many you need and its only about 30 bucks for them. I am going to do the whole shebang on mine and put tiles plus the MLV plus the closed cell foam in my roof because I drive a Ford (which has the best AC in the world IMO) and wont be satisfied unless it is a virtual refrigorator in the 72 also.
P.S. donor roof skin looks AMAZING!!!
Thanks again and Thanks for the link I will check them out! I was thinking dynamat or similar. Definitely needs something for insulation and sound deadening. The other 2 trucks I had (well only drove one) were very noisy like driving in a giant can. And I like AC, not real big on sweating in this heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaymon View Post
i cut the innner roof skin out today to take that piece of wax covered cardboard out and fix a couple of rust holes on my roof seam . im throwing some dynamat in this one. you're right about self destructive. im putting in a headliner so i may just cut the center of the inner skin out so it doesn't trap moisture like the factory design.
Thats a great idea too, I will have to look into using a headliner and removing some of the skin maybe. I wonder if it would need extra bracing there though. any though on that? Im starting to wish they made aftermarket cabs for these trucks

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #228
jhaymon

Quote:
Thats a great idea too, I will have to look into using a headliner and removing some of the skin maybe. I wonder if it would need extra bracing there though. any though on that? Im starting to wish they made aftermarket cabs for these trucks
thats a good question. i was going to fold the edge to keep from chopping my fingers off, but i'll start working on a brace. maybe i can mod a roof brace out of a burb
Old 07-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #229
TchncnDen

I have a headliner idea that I think might solve two problems in one. Since you have two roofs available you could cut the inner skin on the one being used on the truck to do any rust cleanup and add sound deadener, then cut the inner from the original roof about an inch bigger all the way around and use that as your headliner. It could be attached with sheetmetal screws or captured nuts and some nice "dress up" screws and that would solve your bracing concerns. You could paint it the same color, a contrasting color or upholster and you know it would fit perfect. And the bonus part that is right up my alley is that it wouldn't cost you a dime.
TchncnDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #230
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaymon View Post
thats a good question. i was going to fold the edge to keep from chopping my fingers off, but i'll start working on a brace. maybe i can mod a roof brace out of a burb
Good idea I like my fingers too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TchncnDen View Post
I have a headliner idea that I think might solve two problems in one. Since you have two roofs available you could cut the inner skin on the one being used on the truck to do any rust cleanup and add sound deadener, then cut the inner from the original roof about an inch bigger all the way around and use that as your headliner. It could be attached with sheetmetal screws or captured nuts and some nice "dress up" screws and that would solve your bracing concerns. You could paint it the same color, a contrasting color or upholster and you know it would fit perfect. And the bonus part that is right up my alley is that it wouldn't cost you a dime.
I like that idea, I might have a removable skin but behind a stock headliner since I have an extra. And of course it will actually fit and the price is right!

Here are a few pics!! working the rest of the cab corner, and a lot more to come
Attached Images

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
Old 07-15-2012, 12:42 AM   #231
67c10rustbuket

Cut down the front pillars a little longer than what I intend to keep in the roofadectomy, also removed the rear of the cab section from the donor roof.
Attached Images

Last edited by 67c10rustbuket; 07-15-2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: spellllll
Old 07-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #232
67c10rustbuket

I finally manipulated the rockers around the top where they did not quite fit the profile of the pillars. I used an old press brake die for motivation pics don't really show the improvement on the rear but it is way closer than it was! Need to add a little weld now.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2012, 12:51 AM   #233
67c10rustbuket

Next up I made a real fancy cab removal jig modeled after some I found on here. I decided to use 2x6 rather than 2x4s for strength as my best friend is overkill and man it worked great! Way too easy, Only problem was my hoist seems to be too tall or the truck was too low so I modified on of the 2x6 ends to clear. Now I am running out of room! it is difficult to do a complete frame off in a 2 car garage.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2012, 12:53 AM   #234
67c10rustbuket

I also used a yellow ratchet strap to anchor the hoist extension to the engine hoist so I would not have to worry about balancing it.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #235
67c10rustbuket

Here she is sitting on a couple jack stands and cinder blocks for the moment. I have to go out to the father in laws and get some round structural steel and make a cab dolly on wheels to move this monster around. I will be removing the engine and trans and trailer the frame out to be blasted and then I will spray some paint and begin assembling the rolling chassis as well as doing more rust repair on the cab. I have parts now stashed all over the garage (obviously), in the side yard, in the attic, and maybe a few hiding in the house! cant wait to start putting a few BACK ON THE TRUCK!!
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2012, 12:13 AM   #236
DD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Next up I made a real fancy cab removal jig modeled after some I found on here. I decided to use 2x6 rather than 2x4s for strength as my best friend is overkill and man it worked great! Way too easy, Only problem was my hoist seems to be too tall or the truck was too low so I modified on of the 2x6 ends to clear. Now I am running out of room! it is difficult to do a complete frame off in a 2 car garage.
Dan, I hear you. My garage is an old barn, and I can fit our cars in one behind the other. The truck takes up almost all the room, and there is very little room on the side. At least you get to have room in the second bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Im starting to wish they made aftermarket cabs for these trucks
They actually do make fiberglass aftermarket cabs for these trucks. Cost over $6k. http://www.usbody.com/Pages_Trucks/67-Chevy.htm

Hey Dan, it looks like it is coming along nicely. I did not realize you still had the passenger side of the truck to do. Glad I checked your post. I must have unsubscribed by mistake again. I did not get notified of your updates and I have not been on in a while.

Last edited by DD1; 07-22-2012 at 12:29 AM.
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #237
El Campo

Hey Dan do u mind looking down in between the inner and outer cab skin and letting us all know how much clearance is in there? Would help me a bunch by letting me know how much space is available for sound deadening. Great process!
Posted via Mobile Device
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #238
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice work on the cab Dan.
Posted via Mobile Device
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #239
suspect

your garage is looking nice and cozy like mine.

Romans 10:13 Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #240
NewType72

lookin good man keep up the ingenious work

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #241
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
Dan, I hear you. My garage is an old barn, and I can fit our cars in one behind the other. The truck takes up almost all the room, and there is very little room on the side. At least you get to have room in the second bay.

They actually do make fiberglass aftermarket cabs for these trucks. Cost over $6k. http://www.usbody.com/Pages_Trucks/67-Chevy.htm

Hey Dan, it looks like it is coming along nicely. I did not realize you still had the passenger side of the truck to do. Glad I checked your post. I must have unsubscribed by mistake again. I did not get notified of your updates and I have not been on in a while.
Sweet! I wonder if anyone here has used one? a little spendy for my budget though. Yeah I decided to get the frame and drivetrain in order then do the pass side rust and do the bottom of the cab in raptor liner and epoxy primer the cab before setting it back on, well see how that goes..

Quote:
Hey Dan do u mind looking down in between the inner and outer cab skin and letting us all know how much clearance is in there? Would help me a bunch by letting me know how much space is available for sound deadening. Great process!
Posted via Mobile Device
Sure, I have a patch cut out of the roof on my truck where the pass visor would be and there is 1.5" there but I cant even get my fingers through where the headliner recess starts so probably .5" around that perimeter and .75 to maybe 1" toward the middle of the roof where it crowns up. I can get a real measurement once I do the inner skin replacement but that will have to wait on the frame to get done first before I get back to fixing the cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Nice work on the cab Dan.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Mike, I'm a bit slow in this heatwave!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspect View Post
your garage is looking nice and cozy like mine.
Cozy?! Yeah it is getting real crowded. Now I have to put the eng/trans in the floor also. Getting REAL COZY! C ya Later bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewType72 View Post
lookin good man keep up the ingenious work
Thanks man, I dont know about ingenious I think I'm more like a slightly skilled boob. I see you have some paint on that truck in your avatar pic. I will have to check that out havent checked in on you in a while.

Okay so I made a cab dolly in 107 degree heat in a shop (no ac)with a lincoln ranger 250 stick welder and I hate stick welding. I think I lost 10lbs in sweat while doing it. It is not pretty just a bunch of leftover construction steel lying around the property at the inlaws. A little angle iron, square tube, rectangle tube, an old hardware store sign frame. I made it 3'x4' x2' tall and used 3" casters from tractor supply. It will get cleaned up later and a steel plate top so I can use it as a work table when I'm done with this truck.

Here's the pics! also cut the high hump hole out. I think I will make a couple C channels to weld the nuts to on the long sides and weld those to the underside of the floor. Similar to what they did originally but GM only used a flat strip. Now I can get back to stripping the frame down and send it out to be blasted and begin the chassis assembly.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #242
El Campo

Thanks for that! Cab dolly looks nice. I need to build one myself. Hate the idea of welding or grinding on anything on a freshly painted frame.
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
Hook em Horns!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #243
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

More quality work and great design on the picker
Posted via Mobile Device
77 2wd short fleet beater
52 short project
tantrumpipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #244
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Thanks for that! Cab dolly looks nice. I need to build one myself. Hate the idea of welding or grinding on anything on a freshly painted frame.
Thanks! I hear ya on the grinding on a clean frame, If you make a dolly make it about 1 foot tall not two. Mine barely clears the garage door! and take into consideration that the front body mounts are lower than the rear so the cab will sit high in the front on a level surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrumpipeline View Post
More quality work and great design on the picker
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks man, I just improved on a few designs i found here. I was thinking beer and a few friends but the steel was cheaper

I have been slacking in this heat as I noticed many have on here. It was 112f today!!!! I have been stripping everything off the frame and got the trailer ready today and loaded up the frame. Off to the sand blaster tomorrow

Yeah the pics are at night sorry, did I mention it was 112f today? It is miserable working in the garage even at 10 pm when it is 95 degrees!

Any way I stripped everything off of the frame except the rear suspension. I removed all the bolts that were attached to the frame and left the trailing arm bolts in. Then picked up the front of the frame and walked it halfway on the trailer, think chariot. Then my neighbor came over and we removed the trailing arm bolts and dropped the rear suspension and shoved the frame the rest of the way on. Then I flipped it over because it wont sit very well right side up. Here are a few pics.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #245
67c10rustbuket

Bought a new daily driver too. I will be selling the old one once I fix a few things but it sure is nice to have two trucks! drive one to work and load up a trailer on the other. It is older but low miles and the price was right.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #246
mcbassin
Still Learning

Umm Dan, you changed your mind on just getting it running and driving it for a while? I told you to watch out, these projects can get out of hand in a hurry. Before you know it you're right in the middle of a frame off restoration......
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #247
El Campo

Smart man getting older DD but low miles! My old Powerstroke I bought when it had 90,000 miles and was several years old but now has nearly 290,000 with virtually no problems. Pay them off quick and drive them forever! Congrats on getting frame blasted !
Posted via Mobile Device
Hook em Horns!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #248
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Umm Dan, you changed your mind on just getting it running and driving it for a while? I told you to watch out, these projects can get out of hand in a hurry. Before you know it you're right in the middle of a frame off restoration......
LOL BUSTED !! It is a frame off resto, couln't leave well enough alone But I promise I wont buy anything from Nate untill it is driving. Well don't hold me to that one either..

Quote:
Smart man getting older DD but low miles! My old Powerstroke I bought when it had 90,000 miles and was several years old but now has nearly 290,000 with virtually no problems. Pay them off quick and drive them forever! Congrats on getting frame blasted !
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep thats how I roll. Debt free is the way to go. Hey I could have bought one 5 years newer with twice the miles for almost twice the price.
The "new" one is an '01 with 77k miles on a 4.8l. I am very impressed with the engine. I was concerned it might be a little doggy after owning a 5.3 boy was I wrong this thing has some nuts!

Old 08-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #249
67c10rustbuket

Frame is back
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #250
67c10rustbuket

Got it off loaded into the "cozy" garage. I will return the trailer and pick up some paint and primer in the morning. I also will be taking the control arms, trailing arms, and a few other thing to the blaster next week.
Attached Images