The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #26
mvitale27

Re: Double Jeopardy

Glad to see somebody else doing a 4x4 build! Mine is a '56 3600 (3/4 ton) and I used K20 3/4 ton axles from a '78. Front is Corporate 10 Bolt and rear is 14 Bolt. SBC from a '73 vette that is being rebuilt/stroked. 700r4 and np208 TC from a '85 Blazer. The '78 axles lined up almost perfected with the stock leaf springs. OrrieG really helped me out with that and figuring out which u-bolts plates and lift blocks I needed.

Matt's 3/4T 4X4 Build
mvitale27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #27
OldChevysRule

Thanks for the info, Matt. I am subscribed to your build and am gathering all of the info I can for future use. I had a 14 bolt SF axle that I let go with the 87 4X4 that I traded for the 55. I regret letting that axle go, because now it is another expense to replace it. Oh well.....that is how projects go! By the way...I like what you are doing to your truck. One day, I will actually get forward progress on mine. I am trying to keep my sons involved as much as possible, since the plan is to pass the trucks down to them. Both of them want 4x4's, so I have my work cut out for me. Jason

Trucks don't mind if you have another truck just for "running around town".

My build thread: Double Jeopardy
OldChevysRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:07 PM   #28
OldChevysRule

Not much progress to report on my build. I managed to score some HMMWV mirrors to use. I just have to find (or make) some different mounting brackets for them. That will be a long way down the road, though. I also finished paying for the 3100 truck. I hate owing people money. Now that I have it home, when I get the extra cash (is there such a thing?), I can spend it on parts for the trucks. In the meantime, I am constantly looking for parts and checking out the progress on everyone else's builds.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:57 PM   #29
OldChevysRule

Not much to update on my truck. It is still sitting in the shop collecting dust and a whole lot of other stuff! I made a deal to buy a 56 GMC 3200 for $450.00. It will just be a parts truck. It has a lot of the same rust issues as my other trucks, but I think I will be able to use some panels from it. I may end up selling some parts as well, since there are some pieces of the GMC that are distinctly different from the Chevy. I just have to see if I can borrow a trailer to go get it. Once I get it removed from the bushes where it is sitting now, and get it to my house, I will be able to tell more about it.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #30
RockinKees

Sounds like some cool projects!
Two at once?
Lot of work, so don't overwork yourself

1959 Chevy Fleetside Longbed
My build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=643426
Kool Guyz CC
Instagram: _King_Kustom_
RockinKees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #31
OldChevysRule

Here is the parts truck I just bought. I know she don't look like much, but I will see what I can salvage from her.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:41 AM   #32
OldChevysRule

I got the 55 GMC parts truck home and was looking over it some to see what I may be able to salvage from it. I was planning to use the frame from the GMC since it is in better shape than what is currently on my 55 Chevy 3200. I noticed that the radiator core support mounting is different on the GMC. I also noticed that the GMC has twice as many leaf springs front and rear than what is on my Chevy frame. Anyone have any insight to share on this and any other differences between the Chevy and GMC? Thanks for your help.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:21 AM   #33
OldChevysRule

Well, I haven't posted any updates in a while. I haven't really done anything to the truck. Since I am letting my son give input on the direction of the build, he said he wanted a 4x4 diesel dually, so I have been trying to gather parts for that. I picked up a Dana 70 dually axle from a 1985 Chevy C30 with wheels and tires for $150. The axle doesn't have any slop in it, but I didn't get the leaf springs with it, so I am still on the lookout for those. I also picked up a complete 6.2L diesel with the serpentine belt setup out of a 1990 model Chevy crew cab truck for $200. The PO said that it had a dropped valve....so it may need a rebuild. I also got myself a new Lincoln 140 HD MIG welder so that I can eventually start to do some sheet metal work. I think I may cut pieces off the parts truck and practice on those to build proficiency before I weld on the actual panels of the truck. I am still on the lookout for a Dana 60 front axle and 3/4 ton springs. I am thinking about running 3/4 ton springs under the rear also, just to give a little better ride quality.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #34
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChevysRule View Post
Well, I haven't posted any updates in a while. I haven't really done anything to the truck. Since I am letting my son give input on the direction of the build, he said he wanted a 4x4 diesel dually, so I have been trying to gather parts for that. I picked up a Dana 70 dually axle from a 1985 Chevy C30 with wheels and tires for $150. The axle doesn't have any slop in it, but I didn't get the leaf springs with it, so I am still on the lookout for those. I also picked up a complete 6.2L diesel with the serpentine belt setup out of a 1990 model Chevy crew cab truck for $200. The PO said that it had a dropped valve....so it may need a rebuild. I also got myself a new Lincoln 140 HD MIG welder so that I can eventually start to do some sheet metal work. I think I may cut pieces off the parts truck and practice on those to build proficiency before I weld on the actual panels of the truck. I am still on the lookout for a Dana 60 front axle and 3/4 ton springs. I am thinking about running 3/4 ton springs under the rear also, just to give a little better ride quality.
Lofty goals. I like. Never forget....RUST DOESN'T SLEEP here in Alabama!!! Need to save up for a shed (or a good tarp!) in which to build the truck. You are making headway and that's all that counts. dug
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:28 PM   #35
OldChevysRule

Doug...you're right about the rust. I have the somewhat active project in my shop. The future project is under my shed and the parts truck is sitting in the yard (much to my wife's dismay)! But FINALLY getting a MIG welder is a big relief, for sure.