The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2010, 12:19 AM   #26
Sublvr72
Account Suspended

Re: Anyone have pics of an original 402?

Can someone show me where the heater hoses go on the big block. I have one hose going to the top of the intake manifold and the other one...I'm guessing water pump somewhere, but my motor doesn't have any plugs for it.
Sublvr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:48 AM   #27
purple'69

Only got a 396 sorry guys cant help out
purple'69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:39 AM   #28
John H.

Here are some from a 72 GMC.
Attached Images

John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:42 AM   #29
John H.

Name:  72 GMC 093.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  30.8 KB

Name:  Copy (6) of 72 GMC 154.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  72 GMC 089.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  49.5 KB
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #30
71 super

The second temp sender goes with the tcs solenoid thatwas mounted on pass. side of intake. the tcs solenoid pulled vaccumn to disable advance in distributor and controlled the transmission as some form of early emissions, the second temp sender located in passenger side head near the dipstick tube "told" it when to come on and operate and when to shut off- cold more emisions, hot less. There should be a set of relays located on the firewall with a set of of dedicated wires running to temp. sender on pass side, the solenoid on intake of pass. side and down to the transmiission. The solenoid has a flat type connector similar to the connector for the air conditioner power wire. I will look and see if I have a solenoid saved somewhere so you can see it. The red wire is for idle solenoid for a/c to speed engine up when a/c is on. the temp sender on the driver side is for the actual temp guage. It should be in the same bundle that the fast idle wire is located in with same fiber wrap on it as well.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #31
Shyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
Very seldom do I get to bust anybody, let alone you, for something being said or shown incorrect. I seem to be getting forgetful as I age. Things I use to know as fact, I now can't remember for sure, and words I use to be able to spell, I can't seem to remember the right way anymore. Sometimes I wonder about my misspent youth and the damage I may have done!
Shawn
Boy!!!!!!! I am glad to see your post. I thought I was the only one having that problem.

In a previous life I did a lot of technical writing, that was before spell checkers so I had to know how to spell and how to use correct terms.

It seems as I no longer work in that type of field and am getting older I have lost the use of some words and the abilitiy to spell others.

By the way, great pictures guys. I have a '67 with a I-6 I hope to make look close to original some day.

My son has a 402 in his '72, but it is not original, I think it came out of a car.

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #32
Duncan and son

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
The second temp sender goes with the tcs solenoid thatwas mounted on pass. side of intake. the tcs solenoid pulled vaccumn to disable advance in distributor and controlled the transmission as some form of early emissions, the second temp sender located in passenger side head near the dipstick tube "told" it when to come on and operate and when to shut off- cold more emisions, hot less. There should be a set of relays located on the firewall with a set of of dedicated wires running to temp. sender on pass side, the solenoid on intake of pass. side and down to the transmiission. The solenoid has a flat type connector similar to the connector for the air conditioner power wire. I will look and see if I have a solenoid saved somewhere so you can see it. The red wire is for idle solenoid for a/c to speed engine up when a/c is on. the temp sender on the driver side is for the actual temp guage. It should be in the same bundle that the fast idle wire is located in with same fiber wrap on it as well.
Harold, you are the huckleberry of the day. Good correct info.
1975 Silverado 454 Crew cab camper special dually
Duncan and son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #33
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublvr72 View Post
Can someone show me where the heater hoses go on the big block. I have one hose going to the top of the intake manifold and the other one...I'm guessing water pump somewhere, but my motor doesn't have any plugs for it.
There is the one short, 90 degree hose that runs from the front of the intake to the top of the water pump. Then there is another hose just to the passenger side of that one that goes to the heater. The other heater hose runs to the middle, passenger side of the water pump. The heater hoses are different sizes. The larger one, 5/8 I think, runs from the to heater core outlet to the intake.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #34
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Thanks Harold and Paul for the wire info, and John for the pics.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:21 AM   #35
harry

mine looks as though it hasnt been touched since the factory,still the original 402 engine
Attached Images

harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #36
raycow

On both John H and Harry's pics, could that be the heater return line connected to the radiator tank just below the cap? I sort of remember some GM cars being plumbed like that, and it would explain why no heater hose was connected to the water pump.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 05-31-2010 at 12:40 PM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:05 PM   #37
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Good catch there Ray - I've never seen it that way before. My radiator isn't equipped like that. Look at the angle of the radiator cap in the 2 pics you mentioned.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:36 PM   #38
Doug Garland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan and son View Post
Technically they did not come with a serial No although they do have a series of no's in front of engine code ex TLM which corresponds with a number on the protecto plate that came with the warrant card. Very few trucks still have this because once the truck was out of warranty which was only 3 yr or 36000 miles, dealers were instructed to take this plate thus reducing chance of warranty fraud.

All Vehicles after 1968 or so came with a serial # stamped into the block. Previous to that,starting in 1960, only hot ticket items, like Corvettes and then in 1962 passenger cars, and all high horsepower cars (frequently stolen), had the VIN stamped into the block. Most engines, big blocks included , after 1968 had the VIN stamped on the engine, many down on the oil filter boss, and it is very hard to see unless the engine is out of the vehicle. Different assembly plants varied as well, so some may stamp up in front of the head, on the flat pad beneath the alternator.

Dale from the Chevelle page has a very informative page, showing where to look for VIN #'s.

http://www.chevellestuff.com/1969/ch...n_location.htm

Last edited by Doug Garland; 05-31-2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: add text
Doug Garland is offline   Reply With Quote