The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #26
70cst

Re: "The Huntsman"

That just flat out rocks. That's a time machine

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Ells View Post
I just found this Thread and I'd like to say WOW,
My grandmother was co-owner of the Huntsman inc company.
Her and her husband ran this company for many years in Chetopa ks.
She has since passed away. Btw her name was Dottie Coons. you can google that as well. But i'm really glad to see that all they did in the past still lives on..And no I dont have any of the old books or paper work on any of these campers. Just wanted to join and say wow what a privilege to have been a small part of this company an to have seen the plant were these were built.
Hello and welcome to the site. Let me say WOW,too. This is a really cool thing to have you chime in with this info. I wish I could tell your grandmother how much my family enjoyed their product...beginning when it was already 18 years old on the 18 year old truck it spent it's life on. The farthest trip we took was from Maryland to Taos,NM...up to Durango,CO...Mesa Verde...4 Corners...Monument Valley...Lake Powell...North Rim of the Grand Canyon...Flagstaff/Sedona...Meteor Crater...Petrified Forest...back to Maryland. That Huntsman made memories that will last a lifetime for all my kids and me.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #28
ColoradoK5

This is a cool thread Hey Special-K I am from the Taos Area born and raised. I like the old campers wish i could find one for my K5
ColoradoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #29
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoK5 View Post
This is a cool thread Hey Special-K I am from the Taos Area born and raised. I like the old campers wish i could find one for my K5
Nice place to be born and grow up. I love the southern Rockies Northern,too,of course). My oldest sister moved to Taos in 79 or 80. So, I spent some time around there over the years. Unfortunately,she passed away late in '91. My youngest sister moved there around '84 and now lives in Santa Fe. I lived in Pagosa Springs and the Flagstaff area for a while back then. I had a SWB K/10 with a little camper/topper for camping/exploration when I lived there. That trip we took was in '89. We went from Taos up through Chama. That Cumbres-Toltec steam engine ride had just gotten started. We camped in Chama and didn't know anything about it till we got there. Took a ride up and back the next day. What a treat that was.
I had a '90 Blazer since new till a few years ago and now have an '85 Jimmy. I always wanted one of those low-pro campers for them. Those just don't exist back east. I saw them all over Colorado in the '70s on early Broncos,K/5s,Scouts,and such. Now that's a cool rig right there. Hook a trailer with the MC or boat and take off!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #30
sf18d04

Does anyone know where I can get jacks for these campers. I just recently bought a 1973 Huntsman & it came on a trailer & it doesn't have any jacks. I have called around to camper dealers & even to camping world. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
sf18d04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #31
jocko

No info until you post pics....

JUST KIDDING!!! Welcome to the board KY - congrats on the purchase, and I would like to see some pics of your 73 camper by the way. And you pose a great question, I've wondered that myself. Also wondered around what year (or what brand(s)) campers started having built in external jacks. They look hideous, but they sure would be handy - and I'd take handy over (slightly) hideous anyday.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #32
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf18d04 View Post
Does anyone know where I can get jacks for these campers. I just recently bought a 1973 Huntsman & it came on a trailer & it doesn't have any jacks. I have called around to camper dealers & even to camping world. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Google "Rieco Titan camper jacks". You'll get all sorts of links including 15 or so eBay listings as well as the manufacturer's website . They make the hydraulic or power type that mount on the 4 corners as well as the tripod style that mount (usually 3 total) on the sides.

You can also Google "Atwood camper jacks".

I never used the tripod style. I don't trust them for camper use off the truck. But that's just my opinion without facts.
FirstOwner69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #33
sf18d04

Thanks for the info. I am googling now. Here is one pic i took so far. It does need some minor work but it;s doable as it is. It just needs jacks.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1343610119
Attached Images

sf18d04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #34
Coboyle04

hey you guys from the Taos,nm and denver, co areas.....i am planning a trip with my wife and the 2 areas we are looking at are taos and estes park.
have you been to both and is there one you like more? what about weather, what is the best time of year to visit either location (not winter, we arent skiiers but we are more into summer hikink, kayaking, etc..)

thanks for any opinions.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #35
abebummy26

A guy down in close to where Leon was talking about works on those fridges http://www.yellowpages.com/drakesvil...?lid=463917117

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #36
jagman

Here is my Huntsman. I just got it and have some cool plans for it . It has been sitting a long time and has been a real project just to get it running again. I have a 91 Suburban with a 700r4 I plan to swap out the 400 turbo . My gas mileage should then increase by 30%. Plus my wheel covers are gonna help big time. Then a update on the paint.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2023, 11:23 PM   #37
dlbraly

I know this is an Old Thread, but we bought a Hunstman just before Covid.
1st time we took it out the sheeting started peeling off on the highway and it started raining... Duct Tape to the rescue.

Rebuilt the front of it and sealed. Also did some re-wiring in it.
Next is to re-seal the top drip edge. It is not currently leaking but want to clean it all out and seal it again.
Then Paint it.

I'd like to stick some solar panels on the top at some point.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2023, 11:57 PM   #38
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbraly View Post
I know this is an Old Thread, but we bought a Hunstman just before Covid.
1st time we took it out the sheeting started peeling off on the highway and it started raining... Duct Tape to the rescue.

Rebuilt the front of it and sealed. Also did some re-wiring in it.
Next is to re-seal the top drip edge. It is not currently leaking but want to clean it all out and seal it again.
Then Paint it.

I'd like to stick some solar panels on the top at some point.

That looks like a good start on the camper. Good job!

Here is a great thread on period correct campers and trailers started by member jocko.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645421

It is an older thread too but they never really get old if you know what I mean.... .. There are a few more pictures of the Huntsman that I sold Ryan in post #69. It is on the truck that it was originally on when bought new.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 09:25 AM   #39
special-K
Special Order

Good for you. I'm glad to see someone restore/repair one of these. It's a coincidence but just last week I was wondering some roads I never take and there was a Huntsman sitting at a house. I need to get back there and see what's up. I bought my white '72 to replace my '71 Custom Camper as my camper truck since it was getting to be just my younger son and I.

here are pictures of the Huntsman I had on a '71 Cheyenne Custom Camper/20 for inspiration
Attached Images

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 11-24-2023 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-21-2023, 09:46 AM   #40
dlbraly

We really dig that design and lines.
Mine looks like it might have had that at one time.
We can see the gold in the front someone painted over.
BUT looks like the side are just plain, maybe replaced at one time.

So when we purchased this camper, we had no idea what it was.
Googled it and figured it out by seeing your photo. Then down that research rabbit hole.

I've been on this forum a while (not real active)...So that was a happy coincidence as well.
Old 11-22-2023, 07:12 AM   #41
special-K
Special Order

I knew nothing about a Huntsman until I bought the truck with that camper. I had it 18 years and never noticed another. But hardly ever saw other pickup campers at campgrounds either. The one Lock Doc sold to Dieselwrencher is the second one I've seen. Then this thread and the one I saw recently near me. I believe they all had the same graphics. I think that van-type Huntsman had the graphics repainted

Tim

Old 11-23-2023, 11:13 PM   #42
dlbraly

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I knew nothing about a Huntsman until I bought the truck with that camper. I had it 18 years and never noticed another. But hardly ever saw other pickup campers at campgrounds either. The one Lock Doc sold to Dieselwrencher is the second one I've seen. Then this thread and the one I saw recently near me. I believe they all had the same graphics. I think that van-type Huntsman had the graphics repainted
Yeah, it seems like you have to maintain them if you are driving around with them. I have a feeling people let them go. Majority these days just buy newer stuff.

Not sure the maximum speed you should drive.
The people we bought it from said they drove 70+.

The truck I use for it is a 1 Ton w/Cummins - It has no issues with the weight.
It probably be better if it was 8' bed.
I'm a little more careful driving with it after repairing the front of it.

Jacks -
Mine came with only 2 pole jacks that I have to balance the top when I put it on and off of the saw horses and truck.
If it is windy it really sways.
I want to add 2 more jacks, and maybe figure out a better way to attach them to the camper.

So many projects so little time.
Old 11-24-2023, 07:55 AM   #43
special-K
Special Order

Mine came with two jacks. That what they did back then, cattycorner. I never liked that. I'd jack the back up and put blocks under it, then move the jacks up front to lift and pull out.

I liked my jacks. They had tri-pod feet with one leg that moved. The pole sat in those with the crank head up top that used cable and pulleys. The camper sat in angle iron close to 2' long. So, no ugly jacks folded up hanging off the side. I only removed the camper at home anyway

Tim

Old 11-28-2023, 07:52 AM   #44
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Mine didn't even have any mounts or places for the jacks to set in. It was sketchy to say the least picking it up high enough to get off a 4x4 truck.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 08:35 AM   #45
dlbraly

Saw Someone is selling one in Royce City on FB market place. It is pretty rough.
You would need a bunch of straps and probably a trailer to get it home.
Old 12-27-2023, 09:03 AM   #46
special-K
Special Order

I saw that one in my county one day taking backroads getting lost. Then I couldn't remember which road it was on. I went riding around the same area again and found it, so now I'll go get a picture. I hope someone is around to ask about it.

Tim