The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #26
Low Elco

Re: Project "The Beibs" (For now...)

Rollin' along! Bravo Zulu! When's the move?
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #27
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

Ok, so now the moment that everyone (including myself) has been waiting on! Movement of the cab without the use of a lift! So here is how I did it:

Name:  Cab in the air.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  33.9 KB

I used 6 ratcheting straps. two big ones to pic the cab up. I used the rocker panel underneath and wrapped the strap around there from front to back on both sides. In order to prevent the inevitable cab roll forward due to the weight of the firewall, I used a couple of straps, hooked to the lip on the firewall and ran them over the top of the cab and all the way to the rear of my 30 X 40 shop and hooked to the beam on the back wall.

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  33.8 KB

Then to prevent the cherry pickers from rolling towards the cab and damaging the doors under the weight I strapped them to the outer walls on the workshop. You can see the black strap on the upright bar on the cherry picker in this pic.

Name:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  39.9 KB

Then it was slow and steady and when we had it high enough to clear the drivetrain we pushed the rolling chassis under it. It probably wasnt the safest way but we made sure to stay clear of the cab and never got underneath it. It was an adrenaline rush but it worked out great!

Name:  photo 5.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  38.6 KB

So now we have the cab mounted!
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #28
tex_waco_usmc

So no more pics at this point, but I rewired the entire cab with the harness out of the 87 that the drivetrain came out of and once I had all the wiring and vacuum lines hooked up I unhooked the dizzy and used the brand new starter to roll the motor over to move the fresh oil through the system. Then sprayed some starter fluid down her throat and prayed! LOL

We have ignition and the motor fired almost immediately! Now on to puttin the front clip back on and buttoning everything back together!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #29
tex_waco_usmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Rollin' along! Bravo Zulu! When's the move?
Gotta have everything out of the workshop by close of business monday! So this weekend is going to be BUSY!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #30
tex_waco_usmc

So today was eventful. Rebuilt the throttle body and now she runs off of the fuel in the tank. She actually runs great! But, couldnt run for too long cause the radiator is still not in the truck. But I did get the front clip mounted as well! The first pic is the ingenious way I moved the front clip alone! LOL You learn to be pretty good with a cherry picker when no one else is there helping you! LOL

Name:  Placement of front clip.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  With Front clip.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  With front clip 2.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  48.2 KB

Name:  With front clip 3.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  43.9 KB
Old 05-18-2013, 12:27 AM   #31
Low Elco

Adapt and overcome, Baby! Great work!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #32
tex_waco_usmc

So some update, house sold and before it did... I am proud to say that I fired the truck up and drove it up onto my trailer! Still need a few more things before it will pass inspection but I was happy that it runs and drives on its own, with only a rebuild of the throttle body! No new wires, plugs or anything... Just got fresh gas to the throttle body and it runs!

Name:  Truck on Trailer.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  27.0 KB

Then instead of scrapping the old long bed that was in great shape, I turned it into this! Wired the trailer harness into the rear light harness and the factory taillights work! And added a license plate bracket and light and she is completely legal to tow! Only problem is an unbalanced tire causing the trailer to bounce wheel to wheel at over 60mph. Gonna replace tires with good ones and have them balanced!

Name:  Truck Bed Trailer.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  41.2 KB
Old 05-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #33
Low Elco

Cool! Congratulations! When do you get the new place? Big shop?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #34
tex_waco_usmc

As far as when...I don't know, but soon! And of course it will have a good workshop! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #35
tex_waco_usmc

So truck started popping/backfiring through the exhaust at idle and low rpm (at least that is when I can here it while driving). Last night I gave her a tune-up (new wires, plugs, cap, rotor, PCV)... popping is less now, now only get it every now and again. Suprised the truck ran with the condition of the parts I replaced.

Checked the spray from the injectors and have a good cone spray in the TB, was very happy to see that!

Going to check timing tonight because I still have a high idle situation... Not too terribly bad. Dont have a tach, but it feels/sounds like shes idling at about 1000-1500 RPM. Hoping the timing is just a hair out causing the idle situation, otherwise there will be some further investigating!

Also, have a rattling noise in one of the mufflers. Thinking a baffle has come apart, but I have a new set of 40 series flowmasters, so maybe it is time to take her down to the exhaust shop and have a brand new 2.5" exhaust system made!

Other than that it has been basic fixing of small issues that arise, Speedo cable, etc... Nothing major until after we get into the new house! Set to close next friday!!!!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #36
Low Elco

Good luck! Post pics of the new casa!
Old 07-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #37
tex_waco_usmc

So I have made the command decision that the next two things to correct are as follows:

Get her closer to the ground so I dont feel short (Im 5'11") when working on the engine. Doing a tuneup required a step stool... I felt vertically challenged!

Replace the exhaust: The popping I am hearing in the exhaust doesnt appear to be a backfire, upon further listening and opinions from my father, we both agree that the baffle in one of the mufflers has come lose and is slapping inside the casing. Brand new set of 40 series flows about to get mounted in new 2.5" exhaust front to back. Emi doesnt want the exhaust to show so we are going to do turn downs after the rear end for her. I explained to her that it would kick up a lot of dust off of the road but she wants what she wants so I will build it the way she wants it. (plus she is the one that gets to wash it)
Old 07-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #38
Claytona08

Nice build, I'm excited to see the finished product!

http://youtu.be/JYoQJYTXKqI

1984 Chevrolet Scottsdale C10 "Project Platinum C10"
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle "Project Car"
Claytona08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #39
tex_waco_usmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytona08 View Post
Nice build, I'm excited to see the finished product!
Thanks Man! I cant wait either, time to sit back and watch the magic elves finish this one!

It will be some long hours sweat, blood, tears and I am sure some whining before this one is done but the outcome will be well worth it. It will be the best looking pickup at her high school!
Old 07-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #40
Claytona08

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex_waco_usmc View Post
Thanks Man! I cant wait either, time to sit back and watch the magic elves finish this one!

It will be some long hours sweat, blood, tears and I am sure some whining before this one is done but the outcome will be well worth it. It will be the best looking pickup at her high school!
The nicest truck at the highschool = driven by a girl....lol. There will be some jealous boys at her school!

http://youtu.be/JYoQJYTXKqI

1984 Chevrolet Scottsdale C10 "Project Platinum C10"
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle "Project Car"
Claytona08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #41
77ChevySharkBite

Going to be a sharp looking truck that's for sure!!

I'm with Claytona08, there will be some jealous kids, especially the ones she'll outsmart with it comes to mechanics! that would make a father proud

I have to admit I always wanted to have the "cool" sports car to fit in when I was in high school now I see I should of had a truck a long time ago, yeah the modern is cool but having a fixed up old school truck that sounds like it wants to eat a car alive no better feeling than calling it your own!

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #42
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

I ll have to watch this one, we are just about to get my son's '82 finished up and then start showing it. I believe it will be the ONLY lowered truck at his high school in the fall. Seems like everything around here is newer and lifted.....

We like 'em Old and Low and Super Cool!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #43
tex_waco_usmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytona08 View Post
The nicest truck at the highschool = driven by a girl....lol. There will be some jealous boys at her school!
I got a fix for that too! Lol but she's got to prove she can handle 400hp first! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #44
Can't kech me

read through this whole thread, and yes, if she knows ANYTHING about cars and trucks she's already ahead of the entire highschool crowd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
I probably screwed up my daughter's dating life unintentionally. She helped me with my projects and when she was nearing 16 we bought a project truck for her that we fixed up together. Most 16 year old boys don't speak wrench. Anyway, make the most of it, it's over and they are gone pretty quick.
Hey i speak fluent wrench, and I'm 16!

Can't kech me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #45
DBLSPRT68

Subscribed! I like what you've done so far!!!
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #46
DBLSPRT68

Subscribed! I like what you've done so far!!!
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #47
tex_waco_usmc

So after a short trip to Graves Custom Muffler in Waco we found the popping in the exhaust...

Name:  broken muffler.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  38.5 KB

The baffle was so badly broken that it was beating its way out of the muffler. So for now I had them install a used muffler that they had removed from another vehicle just to get me down the road. I have a set of 40 series flow masters but I want to get her dropped before installing the new exhaust to make sure there are no clearance issues later.

She doesn't sound pissed off anymore. Just a nice clean exhaust sound!

Right now I am currently sitting in Des Moines, IA working. I will be home in about 10 days and then I can get back on her again. Hoping to get the drop stuff ordered while I am here so I can get it installed when I get home.

Oh and I found that the truck doesn't like running on the passenger side tank. I have to look more deeply into that when I get home but I am thinking that since the tank and sending unit were the originals I might just spend the money and put a new tank and sender in on that side to match the drivers side setup and to eliminate those as possible suspects.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:15 AM   #48
tex_waco_usmc

So I am sad to report that my daughter has given up on the truck and decided she wants a car because she found out she is going to have to pay for her own fuel...

I really think she has changed her mind because in 6 months we have moved twice and haven't had much time to get to work on the truck. She gets her license in November and I am sure she thinks it wont be done!

So as of now the truck is mine again and I am still going to build it. I'm hoping once she sees it complete she will change her mind again. It was a sad day but I kind of felt it coming with the delay in the construction due to the moves.

I am about to order my drop parts from DJM suspension and get her lower to the ground and fix the fuel tank issue and get the rear of the frame cleaned and painted. Once I get that done I will turn to the body. Pics to follow as soon as I get home from this work trip that has me in Minnesota and then Kentucky. All I can say is I have a whole new respect for you guys that live up here, its too dang cold for my taste!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #49
Low Elco

Awww, maaaannnnn... Did you all ever get settled? Buy her a Cavalier, keep the truck!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:18 PM   #50
tex_waco_usmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Awww, maaaannnnn... Did you all ever get settled? Buy her a Cavalier, keep the truck!
Man, we got settled in the last house and then the wife and I sat down and talked about our future and what we wanted. We decided we wanted to build a house in about 5 years. So, in an attempt to make this easier financially we decided to sell that house and did. Bought a cheaper house that is actually bigger than the one we sold and have moved into it and are finally getting settled in it. Hoping to get to work on the truck a little when I get home from this trip and get her closer to the ground, the brakes working as they should, and the passenger side tank fixed/figured out (It doesn't want to run for long on that tank).

I think she wants a civic but we will see what we can find. LOL