The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
fabguy
Elev8r Man

My Wife's 55.2 C4 Carryall / Suburban build

Hello again....

Well, I thought I would start a build thread EARLY for my next up and coming project once I finish my 58 fleetside build.

A lil history and why:
This build is for my wife of 25 yrs, mainly because she supports me in my various hobbies and because SHE SAID SO!!. (just kidding)

It is a 55 carryall (2nd edition) We purchased this suburban from her dad when we found out he had terminal cancer (R.I.P. Tommy). This suburban almost cost me ALOTT, you ask how much? It almost cost me my marriage until he had past away then my wife realized why I risked everything, it was for her to have something of his but she didnt see it at the time.

This suburban was built by my close buddy Lenny(w/ red bagged Panel), and of course my father in law Tom C., and I helped a little on the electrical and odd & ends with him after work. Right now it has a 350 H.O. and 700r4 from a 92 Chevy Caprice Police car. Engine, trans, wiring, fuel tank, axle, just about the whole car including part of the front Carpet.

It is sitting on a just about complete frame from a short bed 71 C-10 truck with the swing arm rear suspension. It runs like a champ, I drove it home in the middle of summer of 04 from Bullhead city, Az during the middle of the day. It was 6 or 7 different colors and you should have seen the faces on the people I passed on I-40 doing about 85 mph with their jaws dropped wondering why this old beater was flying past them.

I have since found the original seats all the way back, the stainless side window handles, and the locking tabs. Our plan is another frame graft of some sort either C-10 that I already have, a 67-69 Camaro, or maybe even a C-4 Corvette just not sure yet which route I want to go.

Great News is that today I bought and brought home a near perfect STOCK frame (at least it looks that way until further inspection) although it is a 3/4 Ton long bed, so I will have to shorten it 1st.

I will post alot of pics of this suburban in its current state as I didn't have very many of my truck when I ripped it apart.

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote