The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #476
67cheby
67cheby

Re: My build. Project Karma. 71 stepside.

kind of a cool story, i sell cars for a living a good customer of mine came in he is a motorcycle racer and is sponsored by Kicker, all of this kicker stuff in my truck was in the truck he traded in, he gave it all to me so he could get new stuff from Kicker !!! both amps / speakers/ all the kicker high dollar wiring /fuse blocks...EVERYTHING FREE !!
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #477
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
kind of a cool story, i sell cars for a living a good customer of mine came in he is a motorcycle racer and is sponsored by Kicker, all of this kicker stuff in my truck was in the truck he traded in, he gave it all to me so he could get new stuff from Kicker !!! both amps / speakers/ all the kicker high dollar wiring /fuse blocks...EVERYTHING FREE !!
I remember reading that. ahaha Thats an awesome score there.

Im a huge kicker fan. Ever since i was a kid. I had a 92 honda prelude with 4 12" kickers in the truck. I had the biggest orion amp made at the time. I believe it was 1000x1 at 4ohms stable in 1 ohm. I used to do stereo competitions and hit 146.6 decibles. I dont really need the truck that loud, but i do occaisonally like to give people upset stomachs if i can. ahaha.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #478
lyrikz
PITbut

Well, update. Putting the misc. exterior parts on. Wipers and what not. Driving it again. Runs SOO much better with the new carb. ITs awesome.

Have a few misc. things left to build and do. Will post some more pics later.

and sold.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #479
lyrikz
PITbut

well, interior is about 95% done. Headliner and some misc. stuff. The wires hanging down are trimmed up and put away now. Just need to make some fake kickpanels/ install the side air vent things and she is done on the inside.

and sold.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #480
Cameron 1137

Nice!, i like the red!
1966 Chevy Corvair 500, "Marigold" SOLD
2005 Subaru Outback Wagon DEAD
2008 Pontiac G8, New Winter/Daily
Cameron 1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #481
lyrikz
PITbut

Just added up the total of all my receipts. Im missing a few things so im figuring add an additional 1000 to the total. But for the truck i spent $17,146.61. The 1000 should cover the other additional stuff. I figured i would spend about 15gs on this. Still. bit ridiculous. lol. Most of the cost was engine/trans stuff. If i had to pay for my paint and body work labor it could easily been another 10gs.

Man, thats alot of money.

and sold.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #482
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The seat looks great. Whatever possessed you to add up receipts lol? I'd probably start pulling out my hair. Seriously though, that is not too much considering what you have now. Well done my friend.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #483
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
The seat looks great. Whatever possessed you to add up receipts lol? I'd probably start pulling out my hair. Seriously though, that is not too much considering what you have now. Well done my friend.
If i had an actual plan when i started i could of easily saved a TON on parts/shipping cost/paint/time.

I had no plan... When i build my wifes car, its going to be different.

and sold.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #484
wutnxt

Location: vancouver b.c....is the biggest place most people would know but I am actually out in the valley 45 mins away

Just found your thread from stopping and checking out my thread.....You have some mad skills the truck looks great...nice to know that some people actually finish a project and get to drive them...lol...I only wish at this point any of my projects were finished.

Oh .....and never add up the paperwork on a build....shakes me head....thats never been a good expierence for me.
1966 SBFS street HULK http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5886625

Poject Low and go gets a 6.2 ltr LSA supercharged with 6 speed automatic

Aluinum Radiator Dealer pm for details
wutnxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #485
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutnxt View Post
Just found your thread from stopping and checking out my thread.....You have some mad skills the truck looks great...nice to know that some people actually finish a project and get to drive them...lol...I only wish at this point any of my projects were finished.

Oh .....and never add up the paperwork on a build....shakes me head....thats never been a good expierence for me.
Well, i figured i would be in the 15k range and could of saved money there. I didnt have a plan. So i ordered quite a few parts seperatley from the same vendor. Shipping alone i could of saved a grand if i had a plan.

UPDATE:
I installed the distributor yesterday.. The new fuel pump. Fired it up, and it idled great. Adjusted the timing, took it out for a spin and she goes. She goes well. Its nice to be almost done.

One question on timing. I have it set at 16 degrees. It goes to 30 degrees with the vacuum advance hooked up. If im not getting pinging, can i up the timing even more???

and sold.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #486
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutnxt View Post

Updated pics. Of the engine and what not. Thanks to Big Al for the idea of using that black mesh to hide the wiring. All the other wires are already hid in the fenderwell.

Here is what was causing my issues. Rust in my tank. Now that is all taken care of, hopefully it will run right for awhile longer. This was after a 25 mile drive.

and sold.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #487
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Looking great. Don't mean to nitpik, but you know that heater box stands out now with everything else all nice and glossy black. I saw your thread for ideas on the radiator support covers too and that will clean it up nicely. I was planning to make some up myself eventually. Where did you get those battery cable end covers? Those look slick. Just a high quality build all around.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #488
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Looking great. Don't mean to nitpik, but you know that heater box stands out now with everything else all nice and glossy black. I saw your thread for ideas on the radiator support covers too and that will clean it up nicely. I was planning to make some up myself eventually. Where did you get those battery cable end covers? Those look slick. Just a high quality build all around.
Ya right?? sucks. WIsh i would of deleted that. What are your thoughts?? It was the same color as my booster, then i changed the color of my booster.

Whats your thoughts. I dont have an imagination when it comes to that stuff unfortunatly.. I was going to make covers but for 130 bucks i will buy em.

and sold.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #489
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I just sprayed mine with some krylon plastic paint in satin black and I thought it looked ok, but mine is just a nice driver. Yours is more show quality so if you want the heater then pull it out, get it smooth and paint it black. That way it doesn't have the rough finish and would match up with the rest of the truck. Might need to use the additive for bumpers for flexibility, but I don't think this piece flexes much.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #490
lyrikz
PITbut

Well, added some WELL needed covers. Best looking mod out there. Im going to remove my heater core box and sand that smooth and paint it black. Thanks HGS.

Pics.

and sold.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #491
smbrouss70

Looks Good!

Are those the ones from Northwest auto fab? Link

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #492
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
Looks Good!

Are those the ones from Northwest auto fab? Link
No, they were LMC. Came painted.

and sold.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #493
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Think I'm going to need those covers. I hope you're not painting the heater based on just my comments.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #494
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Think I'm going to need those covers. I hope you're not painting the heater based on just my comments.
Im just not good with some things. Im like 60% happy with the engine bay. And after your idea, i think i will be about 85% happy. ahah. So i appreciate it and if you have more, please let me know. Its going to look really good when done.

and sold.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #495
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

It really doesn't look that bad, but if you are open to suggestions, I'll tell you what I see when I first look at your engine bay. Red wires. Not that the red is a problem, but because they are routed so high and over the valve covers. Even in the looms, it just looks a little messy and because they are such a bright color, and it reflects off the chrome, it stands out. I see the dizzy cap and battery are also red, got kind of an electrical theme there. If you are not loving the red, I'd go black. Just my opinion. Maybe a splash of color is good though.

There is a wire or tube coming up the front of the manifold and around the heater hose and alternator that would probably look better if routed under the alternator. The pics don't really show the front of the engine that well, so I'm not sure what it is.

Next is the brake booster and master cylinder. I like the gold anodized look of some boosters, but you have the grey, then a natural master cylinder, then the gold cover. It just doesn't match up. Maybe paint the master cylinder black and get a chrome cover for it.

Heater hoses would look better with some fancy braided covers. If you have a port for the heater hose on the water pump (there may be a plug there, not all pumps have it) you can move the hose from the manifold to the pump and get it out of the way. If not, maybe you can get an elbow on the manifold so the hose isn't sticking up in the air right in front.

Of all the engine bays I've seen, the ones I like the most are ones that did a good job of hiding wires and hoses. If not hidden they are colored to blend in or camoflage. I have a long way to go on my own yet, but I like how my plug wires are routed now around the back of the engine. BTW, I kind of like that scoop sitting on your shop vac. Any plans to use that?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #496
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
It really doesn't look that bad, but if you are open to suggestions, I'll tell you what I see when I first look at your engine bay. Red wires. Not that the red is a problem, but because they are routed so high and over the valve covers. Even in the looms, it just looks a little messy and because they are such a bright color, and it reflects off the chrome, it stands out. I see the dizzy cap and battery are also red, got kind of an electrical theme there. If you are not loving the red, I'd go black. Just my opinion. Maybe a splash of color is good though.

There is a wire or tube coming up the front of the manifold and around the heater hose and alternator that would probably look better if routed under the alternator. The pics don't really show the front of the engine that well, so I'm not sure what it is.

Next is the brake booster and master cylinder. I like the gold anodized look of some boosters, but you have the grey, then a natural master cylinder, then the gold cover. It just doesn't match up. Maybe paint the master cylinder black and get a chrome cover for it.

Heater hoses would look better with some fancy braided covers. If you have a port for the heater hose on the water pump (there may be a plug there, not all pumps have it) you can move the hose from the manifold to the pump and get it out of the way. If not, maybe you can get an elbow on the manifold so the hose isn't sticking up in the air right in front.

Of all the engine bays I've seen, the ones I like the most are ones that did a good job of hiding wires and hoses. If not hidden they are colored to blend in or camoflage. I have a long way to go on my own yet, but I like how my plug wires are routed now around the back of the engine. BTW, I kind of like that scoop sitting on your shop vac. Any plans to use that?
I plan on selling that. I just bought it off summit and didnt like it on the engine.

I like the red wires, and they are routed all messy cause i just reinstalled the distributor and havent ran them correctly yet. lol.

Good idea on the master cylinder. Dont even see that.

I like those ideas. Super simple and i just didnt see it until its pointed out. THat would look WAY better....

More pics to come this weekend. lol.

and sold.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #497
lyrikz
PITbut

Drove it in to work today to put in the new gas tank. Drove great. I did notice one issue.. The suspension in the front has started to feel looser and looser everytime i drive.. Now when i rebuilt this, i didnt touch the suspension parts because they appeared tight and the truck handled great.

As i pull in to work, i put it on the lift and shake down the suspension. I notice i have play in my pitman arm.. THen i notice there is play in the whole steering setup... As i look closer EVERY nut is missing the cotter pin. There were 7 or so nuts on the front that were FINGER TIGHT loose. The pitman arm nut was almost off.

I have looked at this truck for years and NEVER noticed it one time. So i tightened EVERYTHING in the front back up, installed the pins and the truck feels like new again. lol. One quick question, when should you adjust the valves on a brand new engine. How many miles???

Heres a pic of it this morning waiting to go in the shop.

and sold.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:00 AM   #498
Jdhitch

I just spent the last few hours reading through your build and man oh man do you have a nice @$! truck! Thanks for the detailed work. Where did you get your box blasted at? I'm just starting to work on my truck and have no clue on what type of welder/air compressor to buy. Any suggestions?
Jdhitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #499
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdhitch View Post
I just spent the last few hours reading through your build and man oh man do you have a nice @$! truck! Thanks for the detailed work. Where did you get your box blasted at? I'm just starting to work on my truck and have no clue on what type of welder/air compressor to buy. Any suggestions?
Thanks. I might be selling it this september. Or making an attempt.

As for welder and compressor. I cant really state this enough. BUY THE BIGGEST and best of both the first time that you can afford, cause later you will want to upgrade. I bought a compressor, and first time i painted i returned it for the bigger model. My welder is ok, but i cant do as thick as i want to..

and sold.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #500
lyrikz
PITbut

Couldnt sell it. I didnt even try.> It hurt my heart to think about it so i knew it was the wrong choice.

I have a question. On my front suspension it is stock with air bags. The airbag cups are not cut or shortened. I wanted to know, with the stock suspension, how low can i get that front if i removed the inner wheel covers? What would i have to do? Just modify the bag mounts to bring the front end down lower?? I have to repaint my inner fenders anyways so i figured i would modify them while they were out.

and sold.