The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #626
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: 85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

Friday night I hit the gym, then fired up the heater in my shop. Fortunately the insulation I added in the walls and doors really helped. Money well spent.
I wet sanded the valve covers on last time, then worked on the breather lid. The factory paint was in decent shape so it cleaned up quickly. A couple of wet coats of primer, and I called it done.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #627
rustytruck50

http://https://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-Grade-Silicone-Sealant/dp/B01D890QUS#
This may be an option for attaching the mesh to the inside of your air cleaner lid...I've used it in several different applications and it works great. It's adhesive quality is great. Just an idea.

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed
'98 Silverado K1500 Xcab...sold
'72 Highlander"Raymond"...sold
rustytruck50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #628
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Friday night I hit the gym, then fired up the heater in my shop. Fortunately the insulation I added in the walls and doors really helped. Money well spent.
I wet sanded the valve covers on last time, then worked on the breather lid. The factory paint was in decent shape so it cleaned up quickly. A couple of wet coats of primer, and I called it done.
I'm with you on the gym thing! I was doing pretty good until the holidays!

interested to see how those chromies turn out with some paint, I have a set that will probably need the same:metal

What do you do to minimize lint if anything when painting in your shop?

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:16 PM   #629
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytruck50 View Post
http://https://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-Grade-Silicone-Sealant/dp/B01D890QUS#
This may be an option for attaching the mesh to the inside of your air cleaner lid...I've used it in several different applications and it works great. It's adhesive quality is great. Just an idea.
Thanks, I will check it out

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-07-2017, 10:40 PM   #630
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by moregrip View Post
I'm with you on the gym thing! I was doing pretty good until the holidays!

interested to see how those chromies turn out with some paint, I have a set that will probably need the same:metal

What do you do to minimize lint if anything when painting in your shop?
I was committed to a 6 day routine for a few years, but got out of sync when we got a new dog.
I changed my schedule and didn't stay consistent. Hopefully I can get back to it again.
I use moist paper towels to wipe things down, then blow dry before paint.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-07-2017, 10:51 PM   #631
rustytruck50

I appreciate that...btw, I kinda cringed at the adolescent sound of the end of that post...hope it didn't come across overly repetitive
What I forgot to add was that I've used it in both indoor and outdoor, home & automotive & in both extremes of temperature and it holds up very well and maintains its flexibility....would've been so much easier if I'd just said that in the beginning

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed
'98 Silverado K1500 Xcab...sold
'72 Highlander"Raymond"...sold
rustytruck50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:14 PM   #632
LT7A

Quote:
Chris came by yesterday after work and loaded the fine grit Black Magic media. It still didnt blow out well so he dug deeper. He pulled the media pick up tube and cleared it out. It had a rubber band trapped inside that was restricting the flow. With that cleared up we plan to go back to the medium grit media and try again.
Cleanest rubber band I ever seen, haha. I'm starting small with media blasting but I can see how much it helps with the prep. Nice setup. Also backing you up on the gym thing. I try to remember that as I slim down, my truck gets faster and gets better gas mileage.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:31 PM   #633
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I spent the morning shopping on line for parts I'm going to need to finish the motor up. I love shopping for the best prices and taking them to Summit Racing to price match and get free shipping
About the time I got my parts ordered Chris came over and we got started on Scarlett .

Today's plan was to get as far as possible with stripping the wiring back to clean and start painting. With the wiring harness peeled back Chris worked on sanding the firewall while I worked on prepping the top of the transmission and back of the motor.

Even though the inner fenders and back of the core support will be covered by Slosh Tubz panels I just couldn't resist cleaning and painting everything till we get them in place.
With a fresh coat of satin black covering everything we closed up shop for the night
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 01-09-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #634
RootBeerFXS

Man I can't wait to see this at LSTD next month.
RootBeerFXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #635
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytruck50 View Post
I appreciate that...btw, I kinda cringed at the adolescent sound of the end of that post...hope it didn't come across overly repetitive
What I forgot to add was that I've used it in both indoor and outdoor, home & automotive & in both extremes of temperature and it holds up very well and maintains its flexibility....would've been so much easier if I'd just said that in the beginning
No worries, I appreciate the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Cleanest rubber band I ever seen, haha. I'm starting small with media blasting but I can see how much it helps with the prep. Nice setup. Also backing you up on the gym thing. I try to remember that as I slim down, my truck gets faster and gets better gas mileage.
I have a bad knee and find that working my legs actually help it. I just avoid deep squats.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 01-09-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:34 PM   #636
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeerFXS View Post
Man I can't wait to see this at LSTD next month.
Me too. ��

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #637
UKNOWME

Quote:
Sometimes you have to do shop improvements so you can be more productive on your truck project. Today we installed a new Harbor Freight vacuum system to my blasting cabinet. I had originally used a 5hp shop vac and it worked well till it burnt up. It was extremely loud and got louder before it gave up so I don't miss it.
Be forewarned this unit is very heavy even before it gets filled with media. We mounted it to a piece of plywood so we could be sure to hit a stud with our anchors. It's not going anywhere.
I also took the opportunity to upgrad to black diamond media. Turns out the medium grit is too course for my system to flow well so I'm changing to fine. Hopefully hat will improve the flow.
Curious if you've had enough use to give a good review yet? I'm debating whether to buy this with the purchase of my cabinet next weekend when HF is having a big sale.
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #638
TKCR

Quote:
Sometimes you have to do shop improvements so you can be more productive on your truck project. Today we installed a new Harbor Freight vacuum system to my blasting cabinet. I had originally used a 5hp shop vac and it worked well till it burnt up. It was extremely loud and got louder before it gave up so I don't miss it.
Be forewarned this unit is very heavy even before it gets filled with media. We mounted it to a piece of plywood so we could be sure to hit a stud with our anchors. It's not going anywhere.
I also took the opportunity to upgrad to black diamond media. Turns out the medium grit is too course for my system to flow well so I'm changing to fine. Hopefully hat will improve the flow.
I looked for this at Harbor Freight, I can't find anything like this. Do you have a brand name or item number? Or link?
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #639
UKNOWME

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
I looked for this at Harbor Freight, I can't find anything like this. Do you have a brand name or item number? Or link?
http://m.harborfreight.com/blast-cab...not%20provided
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
Old 01-08-2017, 08:13 PM   #640
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKNOWME View Post
Thanks, Don't know I wasnt finding it, jeez.

I think for the moment, I'm going to just use a small shop vac and see how it does. My workbench blaster came this week, so I've been spending the weekend re-arranging the garage to accommodate it. It's sitting on the generator right now, but if I ever need it, I'm screwed. The weight would be too much to move after the media gets added. So I ordered a Gladiator Adjustable table, the generator can sit under the table and then the Blaster on the table. It's rated for 3000 lbs!!! I have Gladiator Cabinets now, so it will fit right in.
The air compressor was right beside the blaster, but to accommodate the table it had to move to between the garage doors. I'll just have to run the air hose over when I use the blaster.
As you can see, Big Red is all covered and tucked in, safe & warm. Winter sucks!!!
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #641
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKNOWME View Post
Curious if you've had enough use to give a good review yet? I'm debating whether to buy this with the purchase of my cabinet next weekend when HF is having a big sale.
The Vac system is amazingly strong. So much so that I need to vent my cabinet before it caves it in. Its that strong. Its not quiet, but a much more endurable sound than the high pitch whine from the HF shop vac. I had to wear ear protection when using it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Thanks, Don't know I wasnt finding it, jeez.

I think for the moment, I'm going to just use a small shop vac and see how it does. My workbench blaster came this week, so I've been spending the weekend re-arranging the garage to accommodate it. It's sitting on the generator right now, but if I ever need it, I'm screwed. The weight would be too much to move after the media gets added. So I ordered a Gladiator Adjustable table, the generator can sit under the table and then the Blaster on the table. It's rated for 3000 lbs!!! I have Gladiator Cabinets now, so it will fit right in.
The air compressor was right beside the blaster, but to accommodate the table it had to move to between the garage doors. I'll just have to run the air hose over when I use the blaster.
As you can see, Big Red is all covered and tucked in, safe & warm. Winter sucks!!!
I would get it on the bench before you use it. Even with extra weather stripping and seam sealer mine still leaks media.

I dont know how you guys up North deal with Winter. It was 19 outside, and 58 in my shop with only a small heater.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 01-09-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:35 AM   #642
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Sunday Chris had to do maintenance on his daily driver getting it ready for a road trip. He got the oil changed while I worked on my blasting cabinet. We had switched back to the medium grit media but it still wasnt flowing well.

I decided to try the fine grit again. I also tried a couple of different size tips, and that was a fail too. I'm not sure if the media is the issue or what, but my cabinet is non functional till I get this figured out. Not good timing since I really need to start cleaning parts.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #643
Coursey

Quote:
Sunday Chris had to do maintenance on his daily driver getting it ready for a road trip. He got the oil changed while I worked on my blasting cabinet. We had switched back to the medium grit media but it still wasnt flowing well.

I decided to try the fine grit again. I also tried a couple of different size tips, and that was a fail too. I'm not sure if the media is the issue or what, but my cabinet is non functional till I get this figured out. Not good timing since I really need to start cleaning parts.
I just started putting my cabinet together. Going to make a few mods as i put it together (from youtube suggestions). I am going to run the stock pick up for now just to try it out. A lot of people on youtube say to contact http://www.tacomacompany.com/ for a different pick up setup that solves a lot of problems.
Coursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #644
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

After a melt down of frustration on the blasting cabinet, I get under the truck and began the nasty chore of removing a massive build up of old oily grunge on the crossmember. I scraped and wire brushed layer after layer of built up sludge till I finally found clean metal. Chris worked from the top side and cleaned around the motor mount and frame rail. My brother in law came over and brought some Rudys Barbecue so we stopped for lunch.

After lunch we got back on cleaning. I worked on the center of the core support while Chris moved over to the firewall on the passenger side. I got the center of the core support prepped and he mad big progress on the housing and firewall.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #645
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursey View Post
I just started putting my cabinet together. Going to make a few mods as i put it together (from youtube suggestions). I am going to run the stock pick up for now just to try it out. A lot of people on youtube say to contact http://www.tacomacompany.com/ for a different pick up setup that solves a lot of problems.
The stock pick up worked ok for me. The tubing betwen the metal tube and the handle get soft fairly quick and collapses while in use. I replaced it with another style of tubing and now its a bit too rigid.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #646
GAc10boy

Sorry to hear about the blaster issues. I'm actually looking to invest in a workbench blaster and wondered if you had a recommendation on a decent cabinet. Would you buy the one you currently have or purchase another? Thanks!

Loving the progress on the truck!

UNITED BY TRUCKS - classic truck video content
YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/unitedbytrucks
Instagram: @united_by_trucks
Paw Paw '68 508 Dark Blue Custom C10
Teddy '68 GMC SWB 503 Light Green LS Build
Mississippi Mud '75 Skyline Blue Patina SBC Build
GAc10boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:52 PM   #647
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAc10boy View Post
Sorry to hear about the blaster issues. I'm actually looking to invest in a workbench blaster and wondered if you had a recommendation on a decent cabinet. Would you buy the one you currently have or purchase another? Thanks! Loving the progress on the truck!
I looked at all the options when I researched buying mine. The price and physical size along with decent reviews convinced me to buy this one. Despite my issues past and present, I'm still pleased with my purchase.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-09-2017, 11:49 PM   #648
GAc10boy

Quote:
I looked at all the options when I researched buying mine. The price and physical size along with decent reviews convinced me to buy this one. Despite my issues past and present, I'm still pleased with my purchase.
What model is this one again? Sorry if it's posted elsewhere in the thread.

UNITED BY TRUCKS - classic truck video content
YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/unitedbytrucks
Instagram: @united_by_trucks
Paw Paw '68 508 Dark Blue Custom C10
Teddy '68 GMC SWB 503 Light Green LS Build
Mississippi Mud '75 Skyline Blue Patina SBC Build
GAc10boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #649
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAc10boy View Post
What model is this one again? Sorry if it's posted elsewhere in the thread.
Cabinet-

Blast Cabinet Reclaimer Kit
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #650
UKNOWME

Are you running a filter/dryer/water trap/etc?
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU