The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #51
cochino12
It followed me home?

Re: 88 Crew cab dually

[QUOTE=Jonboy;4236869]I may be trading the dually off to a buddy, QUOTE]

details please

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #52
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

We'll see how it goes.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #53
SBTork
Garage wrench

If you're looking for a color to break up the two blues, go with silver. Like GM's switchblade, paint code is wa 636R

I think silver would reall set it off well.

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:31 AM   #54
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

When you do a 6/8drop do you have to change tire size?
Posted via Mobile Device
BGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #55
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGRAFX View Post
When you do a 6/8drop do you have to change tire size?
Posted via Mobile Device
I suppose if you pulled the inners in front it would be ok, I only drove mine a few miles before I changed tire size. Are you going to pick up that crew cab?

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
Old 11-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #56
cochino12
It followed me home?

Finally got some work done!! The notch is in, fixed a couple of small oil leaks, brake line... Still need to chase down the problem with the turn signal blowing fuses and I'll get it smogged and start driving it.

Oh and today I picked up some suburban buckets with console for $60 and I found a guy to buy my ripped up bench seat too. My carpet, door panels, sub, amp and speakers finally showed up too so hopefully this weekend I'll have time to rip out the seats and old door panels and start getting some of the sound deadener in. I've been keeping a running total of what this build is costing me, between trades, craigslist, junk yard this thing is getting put together SO cheap.
Attached Images

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
Old 11-05-2010, 07:57 AM   #57
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

I've looked at 4crewcabs and still haven't jumped on any of them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #58
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
I've looked at 4crewcabs and still haven't jumped on any of them.
Posted via Mobile Device
How about the one I pm'd you? seemed like a pretty clean truck, just needed lowered

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
Old 11-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #59
joe231

Those seats will look great in there!
Are you gonna share your running total on this build?
I love a cheap, but high quality build.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #60
DBLSPRT68

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree! That's a great looking truck. Love the paint job!!!!!!!!!!!
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #61
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochino12 View Post
Finally got some work done!! The notch is in, fixed a couple of small oil leaks, brake line... Still need to chase down the problem with the turn signal blowing fuses and I'll get it smogged and start driving it.

Oh and today I picked up some suburban buckets with console for $60 and I found a guy to buy my ripped up bench seat too. My carpet, door panels, sub, amp and speakers finally showed up too so hopefully this weekend I'll have time to rip out the seats and old door panels and start getting some of the sound deadener in. I've been keeping a running total of what this build is costing me, between trades, craigslist, junk yard this thing is getting put together SO cheap.

I've been looking for the burb buckets/console combo as well. Not much luck locally & was going to try the guy that used to post on here (TxSq Bodies).

What did you do on yours for the front tires? E-rated or pass car? I found some 225-75-16's that match my rear duals & are e-rated but I'm debating the need for such HD rubber up front.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #62
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I wont give a total yet but I will tell you after trading some parts, trading some work, parting a couple trucks... I have less than what put into my blazer which is still in pieces in the garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLSPRT68 View Post
I agree! That's a great looking truck. Love the paint job!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I've been looking for the burb buckets/console combo as well. Not much luck locally & was going to try the guy that used to post on here (TxSq Bodies).

What did you do on yours for the front tires? E-rated or pass car? I found some 225-75-16's that match my rear duals & are e-rated but I'm debating the need for such HD rubber up front.
I found a full set of e rated 225-75-16 for $100 on CL. Maybe I'm thinking about it backward but I was worried about a car tire on the front with the weight of the motor/tranny? I figured there was 4 tires supporting just the weight of the empty bed (I wont be doing much towing).

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually

Last edited by cochino12; 12-14-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #63
cochino12
It followed me home?

I finally got the seats a layer of fat mat sound deadener installed last week. Just need to fiberglass some kick panels, build a sub box and some rear 6x9 mounts and I think I'll be done with the interior.

I also finally got the bed bolted down all the way and figured that the banging I was hearing wasnt the bed but the rear end hitting the bed floor. I may just add a 1" lift shackle I pulled from the blazer and leave this truck static dropped, or I was thinking of doing an air over leaf setup in the rear with a small cutout/cover in the bed. I really want to keep this thing simlple and reliable but I REALLY want to bag it and maybe run some 22" semi's, any opinions?

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
Old 11-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #64
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

Post a pic of how it sits now...if you bag it put the snow plow on the front you will be sittin pretty
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #65
SCOTI

Quote:
I finally got the seats a layer of fat mat sound deadener installed last week. Just need to fiberglass some kick panels, build a sub box and some rear 6x9 mounts and I think I'll be done with the interior.

I also finally got the bed bolted down all the way and figured that the banging I was hearing wasnt the bed but the rear end hitting the bed floor. I may just add a 1" lift shackle I pulled from the blazer and leave this truck static dropped, or I was thinking of doing an air over leaf setup in the rear with a small cutout/cover in the bed. I really want to keep this thing simlple and reliable but I REALLY want to bag it and maybe run some 22" semi's, any opinions?
I like 'both ways, but can only afford to keep them simple .

I'm cutting & raising the bed floor on mine for 2 reasons; 1st: that c-notch supplied w/the Western Chassis kit is a joke. There's not much left of the original frame once it's cut for the notch & the notch itself is angled in the corners vs. being a 'c' (the half-moon/c is stronger). 2nd: As you found, once the flip kit is done the rear pumpkin is close enough to the floor to bump occassionally.

I'm going to add steel to the top of the frame & weld a plate that ties the two sections together (inside & outside). That returns the frame to the OE height w/additional strength from the boxing plates. I'll also do my own 'C' w/pipe so there's no stress areas. The floor will get raised directly above the notched area (between the tubs only). Full strength & no pumpkin 'knock'.

Like my 74, I'll build a simple AOL set-up & keep the bags @ minimal air psi when unloaded. I still haven't found a decent set of burb buckets/console either.... nice score on yours!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #66
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Post a pic of how it sits now...if you bag it put the snow plow on the front you will be sittin pretty
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll get some pictures on Sunday

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
Old 11-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #67
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
I like 'both ways, but can only afford to keep them simple .

The floor will get raised directly above the notched area (between the tubs only). Full strength & no pumpkin 'knock'.

Like my 74, I'll build a simple AOL set-up & keep the bags @ minimal air psi when unloaded. I still haven't found a decent set of burb buckets/console either.... nice score on yours!
How many leaves are you going to remove from the spring pack? I took out the overload and one extra. I was thinking if I added a set of drop shackles and removed a few leafs I would get as low as a airride 4-bar setup (10", i know not nearly the lift) for next to nothing in cost. Will your dually be hauling frequently?

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
Old 11-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #68
SCOTI

Quote:
How many leaves are you going to remove from the spring pack? I took out the overload and one extra. I was thinking if I added a set of drop shackles and removed a few leafs I would get as low as a airride 4-bar setup (10", i know not nearly the lift) for next to nothing in cost. Will your dually be hauling frequently?
I was just going to pull the main 'over-load' springs (the one above the main spring pack & the one bundled w/the main spring-pack). This should put me @ 8 leafs. This is actually lower than the AirBar set-up @ ride height (7" drop).

The AirBar nets about 4" of drop @ ride height allowing for 3" of compression travel before hitting the frame. You could opt to c-notch the frame for the AirBar to actually get lower, but they 'suggest' there is no need for notching the frame. My concern would be that they set the heights for everything (bags & shocks) not planning for the notch; if it goes lower, how much needs to be re-configured?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #69
Chevyman350

I put the air bar in my truck (not finished yet) and found the upper bag brackets lacking and made my own and set the height to the bags having 1/2" compression left when hitting the bump stops. And the shock location stinks and the shocks in the kit don't allow full compression / extension. Just my .02 on the air bar for our trucks (mine 1987 R30 dually). Also you have to ditch the sway bar with this kit I also modified the kit to accept the stock sway bar.

And have a nice day!
Chevyman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #70
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman350 View Post
I put the air bar in my truck (not finished yet) and found the upper bag brackets lacking and made my own and set the height to the bags having 1/2" compression left when hitting the bump stops. And the shock location stinks and the shocks in the kit don't allow full compression / extension. Just my .02 on the air bar for our trucks (mine 1987 R30 dually). Also you have to ditch the sway bar with this kit I also modified the kit to accept the stock sway bar.

And have a nice day!
Got any pics of your truck or rear suspension?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #71
SCOTI

Quote:

And have a nice day!
With almost every lowering kit, the OE mounting of the rear sway bar is no longer possible. I plan to try & keep it w/some creative fabbing + bracket relocating.

Please post up some pics of the set-up if possible, particularly the bag mounts @ the frame. Also, @ ride height (I guess @ the pressure/bag height that's recommended), could you get a measurement between the axle tube & frame lip?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #72
Chevyman350

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Got any pics of your truck or rear suspension?
Quote:
With almost every lowering kit, the OE mounting of the rear sway bar is no longer possible. I plan to try & keep it w/some creative fabbing + bracket relocating.

Please post up some pics of the set-up if possible, particularly the bag mounts @ the frame. Also, @ ride height (I guess @ the pressure/bag height that's recommended), could you get a measurement between the axle tube & frame lip?
This is what I did, Ma change the location of the wats link frame side mounts but it will have to wait untill we complete my wifes corvette (1965 conv)

I set the full compression dimension at the minimum and was just goning to have ride height at the mfg recommendation
Attached Images

Chevyman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #73
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
This is what I did, Ma change the location of the wats link frame side mounts but it will have to wait untill we complete my wifes corvette (1965 conv)

I set the full compression dimension at the minimum and was just goning to have ride height at the mfg recommendation
Looks good, I wish I had the time, space, and ability to do that kind of stuff! I think if this truck ends up getting bags its just going to be the simple/cheap aol setup.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually

Last edited by cochino12; 12-02-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #74
cochino12
It followed me home?

Got tired of the radio playing out of one dash speaker so I made some kick panels, 6x9 mounts, and finished up the amp wiring today. They actually look much nicer than these cell phone pictures make them look. Hopefully I'll have time to build my sub box and door bottoms before the nice weather is gone this weekend.
Attached Images

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually

Last edited by cochino12; 12-02-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #75
joe231

Adam,
Those look killer!
Did you glass the kicks?
I need to figure out some front speakers for my crew.
How intrusive into the foot space are those?
Posted via Mobile Device