The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #51
Kodiaks53

Re: Kodiaks 53 / S10 Build

Expected to have a productive weekend on the truck but we all know things happen. Had most of Friday afternoon off so I got all my stuff lined up to work on the exhaust system and the bed wood. So Saturday morning I'm in the shop bright and early. For some reason I decided to get my bed wood done first. My bed wood is American Black Walnut and the story is it was wood my Dad had cut. Then milled by my Uncle Ray. Dad has had it stored for years (Dad is 86) and about 8 months ago he gave it to my brother and me. So I hauled a 16ft tandem axle tralier stacked about 5 feet high to my shop to store it as Dad's storage was about to fall down. Anyway this Walnut is rough cut so I had to cut it to size then plane the top surface and mill (router) the side grooves where needed. This took most of the day but the wood is beautiful. I finally get finished about 4 pm and took a break and then started on mocking up my exhaust. I got to where I was about to hang the mufflers to get some measurments and my oldest son calls and says they have a huge pecan tree in the backyard that just split and fell but is still hanging in the tree. So I go check it out with my chainsaw in hand and this "limb" is about 22" in diameter where it is still hanging up in the tree. So I spent the next 4 hours helping him work up the tree. Needless to say I'm beat!!! Couldn't help but think that the pecan would have made a nice bed wood too!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #52
Kodiaks53

Got back on the muffler installations this afternoon. Fabbed up some brackets to space the 2 mufflers and hold them in place. Now on to getting it all mocked up and final installation done.

[IMG][/IMG]

I know it needs to be raised some, it's the lowest thing under the truck!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #53
Kodiaks53

Had a pretty good afternoon in the shop working on the truck. I got the bed wood finished and ready to seal and coat. Laid it out on the saw horses to see how it all will look, here's a pre-view..........

Any one have thoughts or suggestions as to the most durable type of finish for the bed?

Also worked on the exhaust system too. This is taking longer than I thought but I think it is turning out alright.

That's all for now off to the N.E. Ga. swap meet tomorrow morning to brouse around and see what I can find. Hope the rain holds off, if not back to the shop and some cab work !
Old 08-13-2014, 01:03 AM   #54
Kodiaks53

Well I got all the exhaust finished except 2 clamps, which I picked up this evening on my way to work. I re-routed a tiny portion of my exhaust to make way for my fuel pump and filter I'll be mounting just in front of the gas tank. Hope to get started this weekend on that. Also picked up a new battery and might even crank it over this weekend ..... just for a second or two
Pictures to come..... forgot to upload them to photo bucket.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #55
Kodiaks53

Got my fuel tank removed , cleaned out, painted and re-installed this afternoon.

Took the in-tank fuel pump out and installed a Holley Blue pump for my carb set-up. Lots of gunk in the tank and the old filter was full of jelly. The good ole gas mixtures we now have!
Old 08-21-2014, 01:04 AM   #56
Kodiaks53

Got the gas tank filler neck in place now all I need is the hose to connect it to the tank.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Also started on re-working my door hinges, got the 2 uppers apart cleaned and painted. Note there was only one piece of one of the 4 springs that were supposed to be there ! I'll get these back together tomorrow and the two bottom ones cleaned apart and painted too.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #57
Kodiaks53

Good weekend, got the door hindges rebuilt, all finished up and ready to re-install. Finished plumbing the fuel line. All steel with a miniumn number of rubber hose connections. My oldest son came down Saturday evening and helped me get the main floor in place and ready to spot weld so thats what is on the agenda this coming week...... the CAB
Old 08-25-2014, 11:44 PM   #58
Kodiaks53

Got to work on the cab floor some this afternoon. I have to say my hats off to the folks on here that make the metal work look so easy, they really have some talents for that. I have learned it somewhat time consuming for those of us who don't do it a lots but we'll get there! I also took a look at my doors too and found they are in pretty good condition. I only have to patch the inside bottom at a couple of places the rest is good and the outside skins are near perfect, still have the drain holes fully intact!
Old 08-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #59
Bone$

Looks good. Keep it up.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:57 AM   #60
Kodiaks53

Thanks Bone$.

It was a successful afternoon at the shop. I managed to finish up all the lower firewall to floor patching. I think I finally got the hang of this stitch welding ! Didn't turn out half bad if I do say so ! If I can finish up the cowl sections and get the cab corners replaced by this weekend I should be about ready to sit the cab back on the chassis.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #61
Advanced Design

Looking good kodiak. Really like the back story on the walnut for your floor....which is going to be awesome. Neighbor sawed up a bunch of walnut in his sawmill in the 1950's then ricked it in his barn for 40 plus years. Once he retired from farming he used the wood to make roll top desks and grandfather clocks for his three children.

Thanks for sharing!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #62
Kodiaks53

Thanks AD it's the kind of things that make a truck special. I also have a compass my Dad used to have in a boat when I was a kid. It lights up for night time navagation, kinda cool. Not sure I'm going to use it but I'm going to try to find a place for it!

Here's whats been going on this week so far.....

Welding from the firewall side. I'm getting good peneration and the more I do the stiffer the cab gets!

Not too bad for a novice! Making my own patch panels as I go the 18ga metal was the side panels off a electronics rack. It has a baked on powder coating so I clean as I cut and shape, then I'll sandblast when I get the cab complete.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:34 AM   #63
Kodiaks53

Well I been plugging away ..... slowly on the cab patches. Got sidetracked with some family stuff but should be able to get cranking again this weekend. Got my new windshield glass in yesterday. So its back to the welding tomorrow afternoon.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #64
Kodiaks53

Well I had a pretty good weekend, and made some good progress with the cab body work. Filled some more firewall holes, they must be multiplying the more I fill the more I seem to find I got the inner cab corners welded in place on both sides and fitted the outer ones but didn't weld in place. Man those things do take some TLC to get the right and fitted well. I had my right door mounted and got that cab corner all ready. Started working on the left but found I didn't have the door hindge bolts (3/8 x 24 -1") to hold the door on so I figured that would be a good stoping place for tonight. Here a couple of photos......

I still have to get the bottom of the outer patches into shape to line up with the doors but that is doable on this cab, its in pretty good shape for the most part.
I will say the tips and info I have learned reading other build threads has proved invaulable here. Putting the doors on before doing final welding was a life saver !!! Hope to get the patches finished this next week, some gringing and sandblasting , paint some POR-15 and get the Cab on the chassis by the weekend. I'm probably pushing it but at least its a goal of somekind
Old 09-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #65
Advanced Design

Good progress and good goals to have.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:58 PM   #66
Kodiaks53

Thanks AD, the goals keep me plugging along, without them it almost seems to big a project to tackle.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:26 AM   #67
Kodiaks53

I'm still plugging along on the sheet metal work! The progress has been somewhat slow due to looking after my 86 year old Dad. But Family always takes precedent. I will get some pictures to post this weekend when I have a chance to work on it some more. Have a swap meet to get to this Saturday morning hoping to move some 120 parts bins for nuts and bolts that I got from my brother (remodeling a hardware store) Maybe I can order 2 vent window assemblies and new grille with the proceeds !!
Old 09-29-2014, 11:35 PM   #68
Kodiaks53

Well I got most of my cab welding finished this afternoon. All I have left is a patch in the floor under the seat. I'm leaving the original riser so I can use the original bench seat. Then I can lower the cab off the dolly to turn it so I can finish up a couple places on the underside. Then its on the frame we go!!!
Old 01-16-2015, 12:38 AM   #69
Kodiaks53

WOW!!! Its been a while since I have had a chance to log on and update. There really isn't much to update, been watching after Dad since he's not doing very well. Takes up most of my time other than working. I have order a few misc parts for the truck and it is still sitting on its back waiting for me to finish the bottom of the cab. mainly needs brushing down sealing up and sitting on the frame.
Just didn't want you guys to think I had given up on my project.....one of these days
Old 01-16-2015, 01:07 AM   #70
Advanced Design

Sorry to hear your Dad isn't doing well. Hopefully he will recover and you can get back on the truck soon!
Old 01-16-2015, 01:37 AM   #71
T-P Auto

Kodiaks53;

Sometimes life just comes first.
Hope your dad gets to feeling better.
We all have to live life as it comes.

T-P Auto
Tim

P/S do enjoy your build.
Tim
T-P Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #72
oldman3

Same here, life can kick your A$$ every now and then. Best to your Dad,...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:09 AM   #73
Kodiaks53

Thanks for all the kind words guys, Dad had a better week last week and so far this week. It really is one day at a time. He's in no pain and enjoys my company each morning after I get of work. He really likes me making him a pot of coffee Some Quality time.

I did get to spend about an hour or two on the truck this afternoon. Managed to clean up the lower firewall and floorboard bottom of the cab and get some POR-15 on it. Hope to get the inside cab floorboard done tomorrow afternoon but we will see.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #74
T-P Auto

It is good to hear that your dad is doing better.
Enjoy the time with him as much as you can.

Good to hear that you have been able to do some work on the project.
Lets you get your mind off other things n help you to relax,

That seems to be the point with my project.(relax)

You take care of yourself n wish your dad a good morning from all of us.

T-P Auto
Tim
T-P Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:57 AM   #75
Kodiaks53

Did get some more work done to the bottom of the cab. Just a bit more to do and I will be ready to sit it on the chassis. Maybe next weekend (if all goes well)

Thanks Tim, Its nice to build a fire in the wood stove and sit down to work on the truck. Been kinda cool here in N. Ga. so a little heat in the shop is nice.