The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
aotte1

Re: The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build

The 30 looks really great, always take a second look when I see an older truck on the road. The step side is nice too, I like the single headlight look. How much is yours lowered. May do some lowering to mine after I see how it sits when back together, want just a little clearance above the tires.
Les
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCncsuHD View Post
Very nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Truck art right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Awsome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Looks good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
Oh yeaaaaaaaah! Good to hear that the gear swap was an improvement, sounds a lot more driveable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
I bet the donkey is even happier....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Sr View Post
I used to make those bails out in Eastern Montana!!!
Thanks fellas.

Stoney, I was kidding with the lady at the feed store awhile back. I told her that the donkey had sent me a text message while I was at work saying that if I didn't bring donkey food home she was gonna burn down the barn.

The lady looked at me dead serious and said "now how is a donkey going to start a fire?"

She got embarrassed when I asked her, "now how would a donkey send me a text message in the first place".

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotte1 View Post
The 30 looks really great, always take a second look when I see an older truck on the road. The step side is nice too, I like the single headlight look. How much is yours lowered. May do some lowering to mine after I see how it sits when back together, want just a little clearance above the tires.
Les
Les, the stepside is 5 inch dropped in the front and about 6 in the back. Front is spindles and cut springs, rear is a flip kit.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
flashed

Tex ,that truck looks even better with that roll of hay on it .Would you share a pic of the donkey ,we had one that got mistaken for a deer a couple of months ago and was shot and killed ,we miss that donkey ,he was like a puppy .He met me when I got home from work wanting a carrot and his ears rubbed .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:15 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Tex ,that truck looks even better with that roll of hay on it .Would you share a pic of the donkey ,we had one that got mistaken for a deer a couple of months ago and was shot and killed ,we miss that donkey ,he was like a puppy .He met me when I got home from work wanting a carrot and his ears rubbed .
People make fun of me for saying it, but I love my little donkey. I've never owned a kinder, gentler, smarter animal. And, she protected my little calf from coyotes and dogs better than a platoon of US Marines could have. I once saw her try to stomp the neighbors dog to death. When the dog finally got free, it ran through a barbed wire fence at full speed to escape death. There was meat and hair hanging on the barbed wire. For those that don't know, a donkey is a God given guard animal. In any field with small livestock, you will always see at least one donkey. You can put one with a calf or other small animal and the donkey will stand guard next to them day and night without fail, never getting more than a few feet away from them. Nothing will hurt your calfs as long as you have a donkey around. Not a person, a coyote, or a wild pack of dogs. They're born protectors, no training needed.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:54 PM   #5
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post

In the upper left background...is that Val on a jet pack, UFO, or something else?

Congrats on the maiden voyage, truck looks great!
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:33 PM   #6
Troy Sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
In the upper left background...is that Val on a jet pack, UFO, or something else?

Congrats on the maiden voyage, truck looks great!
Looks like a power cord plug!
Old 03-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
1963c-10

Quote:
People make fun of me for saying it, but I love my little donkey. I've never owned a kinder, gentler, smarter animal. And, she protected my little calf from coyotes and dogs better than a platoon of US Marines could have. I once saw her try to stomp the neighbors dog to death. When the dog finally got free, it ran through a barbed wire fence at full speed to escape death. There was meat and hair hanging on the barbed wire. For those that don't know, a donkey is a God given guard animal. In any field with small livestock, you will always see at least one donkey. You can put one with a calf or other small animal and the donkey will stand guard next to them day and night without fail, never getting more than a few feet away from them. Nothing will hurt your calfs as long as you have a donkey around. Not a person, a coyote, or a wild pack of dogs. They're born protectors, no training needed.

I agree with the donkeys being protective. We have a mammoth and a mini....both are very protective of the other livestock.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
I agree with the donkeys being protective. We have a mammoth and a mini....both are very protective of the other livestock.
They are very protective, we have always had one in the fields with our cattle, I even once witnessed it stomp a young rottweiler to death before I could intervene. The dog had no collar, though it is odd to think of a rotty being a stray.

Though it seems if you have multiple donkeys together they lose their protective instinct/aggressiveness towards dogs. Our little Aussie had a healthy fear of the single donkey in our cattle field, but our neighbors that raise donkeys, he has been known to herd the donkeys into circles and run them towards the barn. Not bad for a little 20lb runt of an Aussie.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #9
flashed

Thanks for the pic ,my wife loved it and me too .Our donkey was just as you described ,helped birth calves ,protected herd from coyotes and just plain lovable . We miss our donkey terribly ,thanks again for sharing that.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #10
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Looks great. Can you post a sound clip? I'd love to hear that big block wake up through the magnaflow.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #11
Tx Firefighter

That is a power cord plug. I have an electric fence charger and electrical outlet mounted up under the rafter there.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #12
Low Elco

Congrats on the First ride! How much loaded clearance did you wind up with with a bale on?
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #13
Primered_69

And the donkey sure likes to talk to Kevin when he is working
Old 02-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #14
Stoney
Farm Truck

The donkey will also keep the rattle snake away too. Donkey around no snakes.

Mike
Jersey Village, Tx
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #15
Average Joe

Great pic of a truck being used as intended. Function and form. Looks great!

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:07 AM   #16
ChevDog1

Wow Kevin, awesome build thread, and really nice work. I read half of this while having my morning coffee, and just now finished it. You have inspired me to get going on my stepper again. I bought my 1980 stepside last fall, and got it running, rebuilt the brakes, and dropped it 5/7 shortly after I got it home. Recently, it has been sitting outside, as first my wife's SUV, then my winter beater SUV had major mechanical issues which have impacted my budget, as well as my shop space. I have been sitting around waiting for parts for my other cars, and feeling sorry for myself for not having enough shop space to work on the truck.

Tomorrow morning, I am going to move some stuff around and make a spot for the truck, either in my shop, or the garage (hopefully the shop, as that's where all the tools are), and get going on it again. I have a bunch of small projects on it that I could be doing for little to no money - and I just needed a push to get back on it.

Thanks for the inspiration!
Attached Images

ChevDog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:08 AM   #17
ChevDog1

My truck as it sat last weekend.

The snow is gone now...
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2014, 02:10 AM   #18
ChevDog1

And did you ever sort out a repair for the dash pad? Mine looks horrible, but I don't like the price of new ones...
Old 02-16-2014, 03:48 AM   #19
joe231

The big rig acid wash has hydrofluoric acid and sulphuric acid in it.
Hydrofluoric acid is some BAD stuff.
Eagle one used to have a mag wheel cleaner with a similar formula that worked great.
I don't know if it is still around today. I used it on my slots back in high school.

Edit: guess it does still have the same ingredients
http://whatsinproducts.com/files/bra...1337132354.pdf
http://m.eagleone.com/mag-wheel-cleaner

Last edited by joe231; 02-16-2014 at 03:55 AM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:10 AM   #20
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Congrats on the First ride! How much loaded clearance did you wind up with with a bale on?
Somewhere around 5 inches I'd say. The tires tuck cleanly up under the bed so there's a lot of room to play with. The bale didn't lower the truck but maybe half an inch or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primered_69 View Post
And the donkey sure likes to talk to Kevin when he is working
There's nothing like the sound of a braying donkey to give that country ambiance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
The donkey will also keep the rattle snake away too. Donkey around no snakes.
Come to think of it, I haven't seen a snake near the shop in a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
Great pic of a truck being used as intended. Function and form. Looks great!
Thank you Joe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevDog1 View Post
Wow Kevin, awesome build thread, and really nice work. I read half of this while having my morning coffee, and just now finished it. You have inspired me to get going on my stepper again. I bought my 1980 stepside last fall, and got it running, rebuilt the brakes, and dropped it 5/7 shortly after I got it home. Recently, it has been sitting outside, as first my wife's SUV, then my winter beater SUV had major mechanical issues which have impacted my budget, as well as my shop space. I have been sitting around waiting for parts for my other cars, and feeling sorry for myself for not having enough shop space to work on the truck.

Tomorrow morning, I am going to move some stuff around and make a spot for the truck, either in my shop, or the garage (hopefully the shop, as that's where all the tools are), and get going on it again. I have a bunch of small projects on it that I could be doing for little to no money - and I just needed a push to get back on it.

Thanks for the inspiration!
I'm glad to hear you're digging in. Eating an elephant seems impossible until you break it down into small manageable bites. But, you just have to keep taking those bites if you're to ever get it eaten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevDog1 View Post
And did you ever sort out a repair for the dash pad? Mine looks horrible, but I don't like the price of new ones...
Not yet. It still looks like hammered hell. When I get some more money I need to address the hanging idle issue, re-gear the speedometer for the new gear ratio, and do something about the bare metal floors. I've had a brand new rubber floor mat for a year now, I just need to add some insulation and install it. I'll just keep an eye out for better interior parts until I find some solution for the dash pad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Would that acid wash be Muratic acid diluted? or something else? Thanks!
That's what I used, Muriatic Acid (hydrochloric acid). I have a bunch of it around the house, and it's pretty safe so that's exactly what I used. Hydrofloric acid is death in a bottle. I don't care to mess with that stuff at all. Knowing my clumsy ass, if I had some of that around, I'd wind up exposing myself to it somehow.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #21
swamp rat

Quote:

That's what I used, Muriatic Acid (hydrochloric acid). I have a bunch of it around the house, and it's pretty safe so that's exactly what I used. Hydrofloric acid is death in a bottle. I don't care to mess with that stuff at all. Knowing my clumsy ass, if I had some of that around, I'd wind up exposing myself to it somehow.
Thank you, i already got a dose of Muratic acid fumes last time i used it for my seat tracks, will have to go purchase a 3-m respirator with acid vapor canisters, wont use it again till them .

Did you dilute it? that would make the fumes not so bad.

Did forgot to mention that your work on the truck is top notch work!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #22
Tx Firefighter

I dilute it about 50/50 or so. It's a very commonly used solution in my shop. The mixture is also good for cleaning gas tanks, wire ends, etc.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #23
swamp rat

Thanks again!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #24
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

Does the red circle highlight a brace between the front A-arm crossmember and the front frame horns? Is this 1-ton only?
Attached Images

'71 Blazer 4x4 driver
'70 GMC LWB trailer
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #25
Tx Firefighter

Yes. There are two brace rods on one tons. There are actually a number of added braces on these heavy trucks.

Here are pictures taken early in the project when I was replacing the bent swaybar mount.