The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #76
big_al_71

Re: What is the best THeft Deturent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
I`ll tell you the best visual deterrant is to have a big red truck club showing from the windshield. most thieves dont carry a hacksaw to cut the wheel. so they see the club and just drive on. A big thing around here is that trucks are stolen so they can do smash and grabs or break into houses and load the back. (holds alot more than a car) so theyre looking for an easy truck to steal.

Total junk I can take one off in less than ten seconds......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
Well, given your hesitation on some of the other options offered - based on whatnow said, might I suggest an Indy Car style jack system, a portable impact wrench, and you just take your wheels off every time you park and set it on blocks? That rules out your vehicle moving.

Then you just have to have a place to stash the wheels.

On a serious note - "The Club" is crap.
I had one at one time. I forgot my key one night at work, and didn't want to wait for some one to bring it to me, so I started trying to figure a way to get it off the wheel. Low and behold, I did. There is a little black cap on the top of the lock here:
Attachment 358865
Popped it off with my pocket knife, and there was a compression spring on top of a ball that pressed onto the shaft of the club to lock it into place. With that out, it slid freely.

I was a 16 year old kid with no criminal record - I think a mastermind could figure that one out pretty easy.

DLB
Definetly 100% I agree the club is the biggest joke I have ever seen as far a theft deterrent....

I have an ingnition kill switch that I can tell you exactly where it is at and you wont find it....but If they want it bad enough several things are going to happen:

#1 follow you as you are driving it and when you least expected they will car jack you I dont care how bad ass you think you are.
#2 bring a small tow truck the one ones they used for repo.
#3 Alarms are junk all of them
#4 Your bad ass dog aint amune to eating a freshly poisoned piece of meat

Is your truck worth your life, hell no so the best deterrent is to have a full coverage insurance with plenty of coverage to wipe away my tears..

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #77
Dr. Evil

Small concussion device , remove scumbag, hand him/her band aids and iodine, tweezers ( cause he will fall out of truck because device will force glass outwards ), write him a note that he should never try that again and his hearing will come back in a while. Tell police he vandalized your Truck and you could only restrain him by forceful means. replace damaged glass with his money after he relises that he is lucky he is not at room temperature.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #78
magsnubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
....but If they want it bad enough several things are going to happen:

#1 follow you as you are driving it and when you least expected they will car jack you I dont care how bad ass you think you are.
My bro in law used to drive a tow truck. He would do what they call a "hook n' book". Back up to it, sling it up and haul ass. After they get a couple blocks away then they'll stop, chain it up, run the lights and if it has an alarm he basically ignored it until he got back to the yard.

I sleep with a Glock .40 on my headboard and a 12 gauge riot gun in the corner. Neither of those, or the almost 3 dozen other handguns, a dozen rifles and three shotguns in my safe kept them from stealing my jeep.

The best you can hope for is that your alarm and kill switches will make 'em decide it ain't worth it and move on to an easier target.That, and good insurance.
magsnubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #79
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

I have 3 ways to kill power to the ignition, and 1 way to prevent the truck from going out of park unless you know how to manipulate the linkage under the truck to get it free. When I leave it in the ghetto, if they can beat it all, then good for them. They drive the most obvious stolen vehicle in houston... A loud, bright orange, classic truck...

Doesn't take long to get noticed and I know all the right friends.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #80
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
Well, given your hesitation on some of the other options offered - based on whatnow said, might I suggest an Indy Car style jack system, a portable impact wrench, and you just take your wheels off every time you park and set it on blocks? That rules out your vehicle moving.

Then you just have to have a place to stash the wheels.

On a serious note - "The Club" is crap.
I had one at one time. I forgot my key one night at work, and didn't want to wait for some one to bring it to me, so I started trying to figure a way to get it off the wheel. Low and behold, I did. There is a little black cap on the top of the lock here:
Attachment 358865
Popped it off with my pocket knife, and there was a compression spring on top of a ball that pressed onto the shaft of the club to lock it into place. With that out, it slid freely.

I was a 16 year old kid with no criminal record - I think a mastermind could figure that one out pretty easy.

DLB
I have had the Club for 19 years now. That little black cap and spring/ball bearing fell off about 18 years ago. It is nothing more than a detent to keep the club from sliding freely when it is unlocked, so it does not land in your crotch as you remove/install it. It has NOTHING to do with it's locking mechanism whatsoever. If your club came off after removing this, then it was already unlocked to begin with

The club is a great design....unfortunately it is used on a steering wheel, which takes about 10 secs and a hacksaw blade to cut through. It is nothing more than a deterrent, like everything else.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #81
haysonj

My best deterrent is I live on a street with one way in and one way out with very nosy neighbors.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #82
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
Total junk I can take one off in less than ten seconds......
Definetly 100% I agree the club is the biggest joke I have ever seen as far a theft deterrent....

I have an ingnition kill switch that I can tell you exactly where it is at and you wont find it....but If they want it bad enough several things are going to happen:

Is your truck worth your life, hell no so the best deterrent is to have a full coverage insurance with plenty of coverage to wipe away my tears..
I have to agree with Big AL I have repo'd a lets say a few vech's the only thing that slows the hook and book ( which is most common these days with wheel lift trucks) is to turn the wheel to the stop and set the e brake and that only slows them/us down for tonight.........and remeber locking your house is a good idea right next to the little elf in your garden I'm going to throw though your back door window......remember if you can get in so can they..it's there job....best you can hope for is to deter the wanna be thiefs from taking a freebie so they all work pretty well at that...

If you want to have some fun with your buddy's go over to his house at night and steal his plates.......if you can do that then someone else could have stolen the whole truck.............

as for mine I pay the insuance and leave the keys in the ash tray......or on the floor???

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #83
Skirkpat

Low buck L.jack. PM me, I have info a system that uses a cell phone and is hard wired to an aux batt in truck, if it is in cell coverage, you can find your truck, or tell the Police if you want them to know?...under thirty dollars a month. Only system that I would ever pretend to be really efective.

Everyone with kill switches, remember, one wire to a distributor, and a few to a starter starts any of these. REAL thieves can "hot wire" around any switch. Not saying they will, but it isn't rocket science.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #84
yote1234

i remove my keys ... and see that my insurance is paid up to date for double the vallue !
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #85
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirkpat View Post
Low buck L.jack. PM me, I have info a system that uses a cell phone and is hard wired to an aux batt in truck, if it is in cell coverage, you can find your truck, or tell the Police if you want them to know?...under thirty dollars a month. Only system that I would ever pretend to be really efective.

Everyone with kill switches, remember, one wire to a distributor, and a few to a starter starts any of these. REAL thieves can "hot wire" around any switch. Not saying they will, but it isn't rocket science.
Most folks these days don't quite get that. I'm sure experienced theives do, but the young guy looking for a quick joy ride or crime-machine won't know what to do. One other trick I have kills power to the cab, so even in the event that you did start the motor, just about all electrical accesories are dead, including the head lights, tail lights, blinkers, and such. Basically, if stolen at night it'd be pulled over rather quick in town. But I only shut the truck down that much when I'm in down town.

Other than that, I take my shifter with me and hit the kill switches. Also have a manual choke that if shut the truck won't want to fire up.

I say carburetors make a decent anti-theft tool too, most my friends can't start it up even when all is set to run.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #86
pitt
69 GMC of DOOM

drop your driveshaft engine will start trans will go into gear truck still wont move and you cant bypass anything to make it move... inless thief carries an extra driveshaft around...
pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #87
Camper Power

i either use my tank selector switch and set it to an empty tank or dissconnect a fuseable link that i found by the drivers side headlight that shuts down the entire truck.

1970 Chevy C20 daily driver
1975 GMC Jimmy 4x4 project
1966 GMC C10 Dad's project
Camper Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #88
ZombieWeinerDog

i think the best deterent is living in the country, then i have it parked it a locked garage, then there is also a 50 chevy with more body mods than i can name, a completley original 70 chevelle with an original ls6 454, a 32 vicky, then there is an amazing 72 elcomino with a nice 454. so mine is pretty low on the list of good steals.

Last edited by ZombieWeinerDog; 05-10-2009 at 09:07 PM.
ZombieWeinerDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #89
IdahoMan

Skirkpat,

Your inbox is full.

IM
IdahoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #90
no1udknow

you need one of these......

My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #91
CST10

My grandpa always said to swap a few plug wires round. It won't run and they won't figure it out either.
Brutus the 1998 Camaro Z28, 33,500 original miles, LS1, 519 RWHP/497 RWTQ.
Member of the Louisiana Classic Truck Club, LCTC
Member of the Louisiana C10 Club
Member of the Baton Rouge Drifters Car Club
CST10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #92
CST10

If you have an electric fuel pump you could pull out the inline fuse if hidden good.
Brutus the 1998 Camaro Z28, 33,500 original miles, LS1, 519 RWHP/497 RWTQ.
Member of the Louisiana Classic Truck Club, LCTC
Member of the Louisiana C10 Club
Member of the Baton Rouge Drifters Car Club
CST10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #93
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Gas prices, if you can't afford a car you can't afford to feed my truck.
Nah I have a ls swap, keep mine inside, pull the battery if its outside.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:47 AM   #94
1972RedNeck

If I'm really worried I'll lock the doors. Oh wait, the driver's door doesn't lock.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:52 AM   #95
bpatrol

http://www.estopp.com/#!about/c1x9v
bpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:57 AM   #96
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: What is the best THeft Deturent?

I have decided since reading this post that the best thing to do is never drive my truck again and put it in the garage and never speak of it again!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:19 AM   #97
BlackedOut67shorty

Have an andaconda like they had in the hummer in gone in 60 seconds
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote