The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #1051
gdavis

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Your work is great. Thank you for all your help in the past. You helped me with the striped hinge bolts. I sent you a PM on another issue. Again thanks.

Cars I owned in the past.
1962 chev II Nova - 1965 Chevelle SS - (2)1966 Chevelle SS 1965 chev C10 57 belair chev
1967 Chevelle SS - 1969 Chevelle SS - 1972 Chevelle SS

1967 Buick electra 225 1995 Harley Davidson bager

What does not kill you will make you stronger

1968 c10 short wheel base stepper
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #1052
Low Elco

Nice car! Glad it all came together after the usual amount of briggling.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #1053
jlsanborn

Good thing you figgered that out before it got ugly. Nice work! Wonder how the mfg expects them things to survive?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #1054
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Good thing you figgered that out before it got ugly. Nice work! Wonder how the mfg expects them things to survive?
Good question, John. After the fact, I thought it might have helped to remove the snap ring, pack the bearing with grease and reassemble before installing. Or alternatively, drill a teeny tiny hole in one of the oil galley plugs to provide more lubrication from above the button. You'd have thought the mfg. would throw up a red flag if this was a potential issue. Maybe it was just the luck of the draw and I got one that was destined to fail. $#!* happens...
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #1055
Dean'smeanmachine

good looking 57

1972 Custom Camper c/20 5.3 LS swap in progress. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610187

in God we Trust
Dean'smeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #1056
Vic1947

When I was down at my buddy Jay's place a couple of months ago, I noticed he had a box full of (mostly) disassembled vent window parts along with a few new seals, etc. Since I've rebuilt a couple of similar sets for my trucks, I offered to overhaul them. Having the tools and a little experience under your belt makes a lot of difference. So when I had a little free time, I cleaned and blasted the frames, then sent them to Jonathon Cornell at Sure Coat in Sedalia for satin black powder coating. While down there this weekend, I picked the pieces up and brought them home. There's lots of tutorials on the web on rebuilding these, so I won't bother with details, but one thing that's worth mentioning is in regard to the rivets.

The rivets you get from the aftermarket vendors are typically too small a diameter to clinch the seal strips properly and can easily fail. Another issue is their length. They're too long to properly draw up some of the frame connectors. On the ones I've rebuilt, the factory used two different size rivets - 1/8" and 5/32". The ones supplied by the vendors are about .144" which puts them about halfway between the two sizes. So you end up drilling out the frame assembly holes and settling for a sloppy fit on the seal strips.

Well we don't settle for nuthin' around here. Having seen this problem before, I'd already fabricated a little tool to make my own rivets out of 18-8 SS round head solid rivets with a 1/4" length body. There's a pic below of the tool and before and after rivets. I first chuck up the rivet body in the lathe and face off the round head to make a thin, flat head. Then I drop the rivet into the tool and tighten it on the mandrel. I use a #1 center drill to make a starter hole and then a #37 jobber drill to a depth of .150" to finish the job. This leaves .100" of solid body which clinches thin parts perfectly. The tool can also be used with the vendor supplied rivets to deepen them for a better hold.

This procedure only applies to the most seriously anal retentive builders. But it would be nice if the vendors took it upon themselves to package the correct rivets for the job. It's hard enough to redo vent window assemblies as it is.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #1057
sduckworth13

Nice job on the wing window Vic, that looks great!
Old 06-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #1058
jeh

Vic, you simply amaze me with your ideas and the quality of your work you do. I would just like to come hang out sometime if we weren't hundreds of miles apart....
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

MY BUILD THREAD http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612623
jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:12 AM   #1059
swamp rat

So what were you in your previous life? A tool and die maker? Nice home made tool Vic!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #1060
Low Elco

You have to really press him, but if he starts telling you about his previous life, most mere mortals eyes start glazing over at about the 45 second mark. Something about oil, and drills, and radiation, and secret government projects, and aliens, and pro stock cars.... over my head in a hurry!

Great work as usual, Vic!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #1061
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh View Post
Vic, you simply amaze me with your ideas and the quality of your work you do. I would just like to come hang out sometime if we weren't hundreds of miles apart....
Kind of a long drive just to hang out and shoot the breeze, for sure. One of the reasons I really like the forum is being able to exchange ideas and see what others around the country are up to. I'm not afflicted with "not invented here" syndrome. I'll happily use a good idea regardless of its origin.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #1062
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by low elco View Post
you have to really press him, but if he starts telling you about his previous life, most mere mortals eyes start glazing over at about the 45 second mark. Something about oil, and drills, and radiation, and secret government projects, and aliens, and pro stock cars.... Over my head in a hurry!
rofl!
Old 06-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #1063
jlsanborn

Well done! How are you staking them down? The little punch tool that comes in the kits works pretty good for the easy ones.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #1064
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Well done! How are you staking them down? The little punch tool that comes in the kits works pretty good for the easy ones.
I didn't have much luck with the included tool, so I bought one from Hanson and turned it down on the end to fit better into tight spots. I also made one for smaller rivets using an old punch. Then threw away the one that came in the kit.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2014, 12:24 AM   #1065
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice work on the vent windows. I found the exact problems with the pieces I bought from one of the aftermarket dealers. I ended up making new rivets HERE for the pivet and turning the length of the rivets for the seals. I had to drill the frames out too.

I love all the attention to detail on your thread we seem to have a lot in common.

Last edited by mcbassin; 06-26-2014 at 08:29 AM.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #1066
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Vic,
I'm going to doing this to my vent windows here shortly, did you have any problems getting the glass out of the frame before powder coating? I can powder coat my frames/channels at my uncles for the cost of the powder, I might be calling to ask for some assistance when the time comes! since I'm not that far, and you have some free time, might bring it all by and see the master at work! When I'm ready that is.... I'm still gathering parts(seals, maybe tinted replacement glass) any way's great inginuity was that a bolt/nut with a metal "Slug" welded onto the nut, with a pilot hole drilled into it? clever.....
As always, your legend precedes you!
Have a good one!
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:31 AM   #1067
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipescastle2 View Post
Vic, I'm going to doing this to my vent windows here shortly, did you have any problems getting the glass out of the frame before powder coating?
Hey Ben, glad to hear from you. Both of Jay's vent windows were cracked, so I didn't have to worry about saving them. However, a PO had replaced them some time in the past and used RTV to glue the glass into the frames. I took a cue from a tutorial on stovebolt.com and broke the glass out to make it easier to remove. Wearing safety glasses and leather gloves, I wrapped each window in a couple of rags then tapped around the edges close to the frame with a hammer and chisel. I sat down in my chair next to the trash can and worked the glass back and forth until it became somewhat pliable adjacent to the edge of the frame. I then used a long slender flat blade screwdriver to gently pry the captive remainder of the glass from the frame. Worked down both long edges to the corner and was able to pull the last bit out. This left some residual RTV and a few glass shards in the frame. I scraped as much as I could from the rest of the U-channel and then soaked it overnight in solvent. I use Ozonic 117 solvent but Varsol also works great. The RTV turns rubbery and releases easily with a small brush. I then threw the frames into the blast cabinet and removed the paint and grunge. Most powder coat firms have a way to prep the surface if you don't have that capability in house. Let me know if I can help.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #1068
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Nice work on the vent windows. I found the exact problems with the pieces I bought from one of the aftermarket dealers. I ended up making new rivets HERE for the pivet and turning the length of the rivets for the seals. I had to drill the frames out too.

I love all the attention to detail on your thread we seem to have a lot in common.
Thanks, Mike. We certainly have a lot of the same tools and approach problems in the same way. I especially like your link to the truck pictures. They tell the story in a very efficient way.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #1069
mikeleeshields

Vic, I will second the comment. You amaze me with the amount of detailed work, or as you call it anal retentive work, lol. Keep it up. I like to gather ideas from everyone as you have and build on them myself.

Mike
mikeleeshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #1070
Vic1947

I've been doing little bits of work off and on. With the twins here and several side projects, it's been hit and miss. Today was more of a miss than I'm used to. Weather was nice and the wife took the twins on a hike, so I used the opportunity to squirt some epoxy primer and Slick Sand on the bedside. The epoxy went pretty good, but the Slick Sand set up in the gun during a 15 minute break before doing a re-coat. There went $20 worth of material (at 40 bucks a quart) and a $20 HF gun. Jeez!

But the real kicker was when I sighted down the length of the outer bedside. Looked like warmed over death. It's going to take a lot more work to get it into any kind of paintable condition. Now I see why others who have done this say it's just an okay modification. I would be weeks closer to completion had I just popped for a new repro bedside. Of course the inside that will be covered with bedliner and no one will ever see turned out great.

Attached Images

Old 07-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #1071
Elliot949

Hey Vic.. I am working with the Dynacorn bedsides and I can tell you they are no picnic... I am trying to get them to fit to the bed floor and head panel... Lets just say it has been a challenge...

You truck is getting there and looking good...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #1072
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
I've been doing little bits of work off and on. With the twins here and several side projects, it's been hit and miss. Today was more of a miss than I'm used to. Weather was nice and the wife took the twins on a hike, so I used the opportunity to squirt some epoxy primer and Slick Sand on the bedside. The epoxy went pretty good, but the Slick Sand set up in the gun during a 15 minute break before doing a re-coat. There went $20 worth of material (at 40 bucks a quart) and a $20 HF gun. Jeez!

But the real kicker was when I sighted down the length of the outer bedside. Looked like warmed over death. It's going to take a lot more work to get it into any kind of paintable condition. Now I see why others who have done this say it's just an okay modification. I would be weeks closer to completion had I just popped for a new repro bedside. Of course the inside that will be covered with bedliner and no one will ever see turned out great.

I had a batch of a similar product (Z-Chrome) do the same thing on me last week during a 20 minute lunch break. Kinda caught me off guard. Fortunately I could salvage the paint gun but it took about 30 minutes to dig it out. I used that stuff during the winter and you had what seemed like hours of pot life.

Too bad about the bedside. I have thought about doing that mod for a future project but now you have me thinking otherwise. good luck getting her straight.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #1073
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
Hey Vic.. I am working with the Dynacorn bedsides and I can tell you they are no picnic... I am trying to get them to fit to the bed floor and head panel... Lets just say it has been a challenge...

You truck is getting there and looking good...
Yeah, come to think of it, fixing the wheelwell fastener pattern on the brand new passenger side bed panel I bought took some time also. So I guess there's no guarantee a new one will drop right in.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #1074
Vic1947

This morning it was back to Worlds of Fun for probably the last time this summer with the twins. Rachel and I finally managed to ride the Timber Wolf which completed the full complement of roller coasters at WOF. And for good measure, we were on the second group to ride the Steel Hawk which had its Grand Opening today. We'd have been in the first group except they only ran it half full. Guess that way they'd have a lot fewer people to rescue if it crapped out at the top like it did a couple of times out at Knott's Berry Farm.

After lunch, the twins and I went to the Liberty fireworks stand and loaded up for tomorrow. They each had a $20 budget to pick whatever they wanted. It was a hoot to watch them picking out items, totaling them up, changing their minds, putting things back, adjusting the total ...ad nauseum. I was amazed that when we checked out, neither one had gone over budget and we had a basket full of gimcracks.

That left just enough time this afternoon to finish applying Slick Sand to the outer bedside. The new $16.99 HF gun worked to perfection. This gives me a good base to build on so I can now fine tune the body lines.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #1075
Elliot949

looks great Vic...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote