The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #151
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Re: Cheap Tricks

While replacing the thermostat in my S-10 one of the housing bolts broke off, the one close to the turn down edge of the manifold. Then of course I broke an easy-out off in the bolt. While screwing all this up the corner of the manifold broke off! I bought some of that steel putty that looks like a jellyroll and formed up the broken corner, let it setup good, drilled and threaded a new hole and put it back together. That was years ago and its still holding strong!
Check out this pic I just took in the parking lot..I forgot I used a piece of threaded rod because I didn't have another bolt.
Attached Images

71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394

Last edited by RenoKeene; 11-04-2011 at 01:37 PM.
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #152
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
If you are working in a tight area in your shop but need the doors open slit a short section of heater hose and slide it on your doors to protect the paint on the doors edge.
I used this one this weekend...saved me from chipping the paint more that once!
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
Old 11-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #153
maskale

above pic reminded me of this. if u have degraded threads in a bolt hole and dont want or cant repair correctly then use all thread and a nut instead of the bolt, or atleast lubricate the bolt.

tension and friction tear threads up, u can decresse the friction with a good antiseeze, u can remove the friction by threading all thread in by hand, then tighten with a nut.

Unless its something really important i dont use a torque wrench much, but in this case with degraded threads I slowly creep up to the recommended torque so i dont strip out the already degraded threads because I over tightned them.

they are expensive, but a good heli coil kit and taps and dies are a must for shade tree DIYer.
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #154
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

I get the Dawn, or Joy, or whatever's by the sink and rub it on like lotion, usually up past the elbows, let it dry, then go get greasy as I want to. Everything comes off when I wash up.

Milk of Magnesia works on header bolts.

Got a nut or bolt rusted up and seized? heat it with the torch then rub a candle on it. Let it cool and it'll usually break easier.

Also when I get on a bolt or nut thats so tight I'm afraid I'll break it, or round the head, I tighten it just a little, if you can get it to tighten any at all it'll come out alot easier.

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #155
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
Also when I get on a bolt or nut thats so tight I'm afraid I'll break it, or round the head, I tighten it just a little, if you can get it to tighten any at all it'll come out alot easier.
or you can hit the head of it with a hammer or blunt air chisel. the sudden impact will knock rust free from the threads.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #156
BMERDOC

Speaking of bolts and threads. If you have a bolt/nut that is rusty yes, you can tighten it to make it come loose but I like to treat it like a tap. Tighten it, loosen it some, tighten it a little then loosen it more. One step forward, two steps back. Sometimes the problem is that even if you spray it down with penetrant the threads on the bolt (past the nut) are dirty and when you try to loosen it dirt gets lodged in betwen the nut/bolt and it breaks. Loosening and tightening it helps to loosen the dirt.

AND If you don't have the proper size tap you can take a correct sized bolt and use a cutting wheel to grind a notch or two in the threads to make an instant tap. Make sure you cut the notch straight and true, fill the notches with thick lube or grease to catch the shavings.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #157
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Great info on rusty bolts ^,^^,^^^. This stuff takes years of experience to learn, I'm glad I started this thread and many thanks to all that posted and once again, thanks to the folks that let me be part of this forum...what a difference this has made in my life.
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 11-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #158
rpmerf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
AND If you don't have the proper size tap you can take a correct sized bolt and use a cutting wheel to grind a notch or two in the threads to make an instant tap. Make sure you cut the notch straight and true, fill the notches with thick lube or grease to catch the shavings.
I always do this with head bolts.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #159
redmonster

if your ever in a car show and dont have any armor all or tire dressing
buy a cheap coke pour in onto a rag and use it as dressing to get by works like a champ

Dont be like me be better than me
redmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:56 PM   #160
rpmerf

what is it like the next day? how hard is it to clean off and does it do anything to the paint/clearcoat or metal?
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:52 AM   #161
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

id think all the dirt would stick to it like crazy worse than armor all and it'd be sticky?

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #162
rustyrodknocker

this is three different solutions to to the same problem. ignition cut out in the desert in the dark. three flashlights with dead batteries. so i unpluged a parking light and stretched it up enough to have light to hot wire the distributor.

when I got home I bought a new $7.99 25'drop light and some big alligator clips. I cut the plug off the cord and replaced it with the clips. Pulled out the bulb recepticle and replaced it with a 1157 receptical out of a old wiring harness. connect it directly to your battery. it throws out way more light, reaches around the back of your truck. if you have battery power your set. my brother has been thanking me for the one i made him for years.

this one, there is no excuse for not having. several years ago someone gave me a windup led flashlight for christmas. priceless. this is a life saver. I sold my 68 last weekend and told the new owner he will have to get his own. get one. soon.
rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:52 AM   #163
Kurt L

if your switch is gone on your back uplites[3spd trans] do like i did. i ran a wire from the battery to the plus side of switch to the hot side of back up lites and grounded the switch.
wala i had back up lights. just don't forget which way is off and which way is on.
Kurt L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:59 AM   #164
Kurt L

i know were not suppose to post twice but thought of another trick. it has nothing to do with trucks.but thought bout those that have hard water or people that have sulfur water. you can buy magnets that clamp on your water lines,and that will take away the taste of sulfur in your water and take out contamintes in your water also.i have them on my hot water tank,coming from the well to the house,also on the water lines running to my kitchen sink.plus magnatized water is better for you to drink.
Kurt L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #165
redmonster

The coke dressing doesn't collect as much dirt comes off
Easy with a pressure washer at the car wash
Posted via Mobile Device

Dont be like me be better than me
redmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #166
74baggedbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrodknocker View Post
this is three different solutions to to the same problem. ignition cut out in the desert in the dark. three flashlights with dead batteries. so i unpluged a parking light and stretched it up enough to have light to hot wire the distributor.

when I got home I bought a new $7.99 25'drop light and some big alligator clips. I cut the plug off the cord and replaced it with the clips. Pulled out the bulb recepticle and replaced it with a 1157 receptical out of a old wiring harness. connect it directly to your battery. it throws out way more light, reaches around the back of your truck. if you have battery power your set. my brother has been thanking me for the one i made him for years.

this one, there is no excuse for not having. several years ago someone gave me a windup led flashlight for christmas. priceless. this is a life saver. I sold my 68 last weekend and told the new owner he will have to get his own. get one. soon.
Pics please...
Posted via Mobile Device
74baggedbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #167
maskale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74baggedbug View Post
Pics please...
Posted via Mobile Device

they make 12v drop/work lights, no need to make ur own. can get them in incandesant or fluorescent and with cig plug or aligator clips.
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #168
rustyrodknocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74baggedbug View Post
Pics please...
Posted via Mobile Device
I dont have anypics and I gave my last one away. I would like to make another batch. I always grab the lights for a buck or two at yard sales. I need some more bulbs holders. I even made one out of an old flashlight. It had parking light bulb and the cord would stuff inside where all the D batteries use to be. I think I still have this one. I was not happy with the light output. I figure in a breakdown situation at night. I want as much light as i can get. I did see the ready made droplights later on ebay. Which would be handy they use 12volt camper style bulbs. Not nearly as bright as an 1157 on both filiments though.
Posted via Mobile Device
rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #169
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt L View Post
i know were not suppose to post twice but thought of another trick. it has nothing to do with trucks.but thought bout those that have hard water or people that have sulfur water. you can buy magnets that clamp on your water lines,and that will take away the taste of sulfur in your water and take out contamintes in your water also.i have them on my hot water tank,coming from the well to the house,also on the water lines running to my kitchen sink.plus magnatized water is better for you to drink.
I've got to try this..I can see how it would work, very smart. Thanks.
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 11-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #170
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrodknocker View Post
I dont have anypics and I gave my last one away. I would like to make another batch. I always grab the lights for a buck or two at yard sales. I need some more bulbs holders. I even made one out of an old flashlight. It had parking light bulb and the cord would stuff inside where all the D batteries use to be. I think I still have this one. I was not happy with the light output. I figure in a breakdown situation at night. I want as much light as i can get. I did see the ready made droplights later on ebay. Which would be handy they use 12volt camper style bulbs. Not nearly as bright as an 1157 on both filiments though.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have one made out of a headlight! I'll have to take some pics and post it up.
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 11-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #171
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmonster View Post
if your ever in a car show and dont have any armor all or tire dressing
buy a cheap coke pour in onto a rag and use it as dressing to get by works like a champ
I remember a friend of my older brother pouring coke on a battery post to dissolve the corrosion, worked pretty good. I was just a kid and thought it was the smartest thing I had ever seen!
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 11-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #172
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt L View Post
Is this anything like, "Don't eat the yellow snow!"
Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #173
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

renokee

keep us updated my dad called bs on it lol

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:47 AM   #174
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Not sure if this was posted yet but....

Whenever I need to hold something small that I'm about to weld...I tack a nail to it so I have an end to hold on too.

Usually, I use a shiny 20 nail....

Works good !

OK, now I'll go back and continue reading where I left off...

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #175
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
Not sure if this was posted yet but....

Whenever I need to hold something small that I'm about to weld...I tack a nail to it so I have an end to hold on too.

Usually, I use a shiny 20 nail....

Works good !

OK, now I'll go back and continue reading where I left off...
Nope...hasn't been posted and yes it is a real good idea.
Thanks for posting John.
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"