The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #2276
MiraclePieCo

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
Took the truck out of the garage, and in the street. Close the garage door and jump in the truck, switch on the lights and... no lights! Switch off, switch on, still no lights on the front! And here the great idea! press the foot switch and then lights on !!!!!!
Bad dimmer switch?
Old 11-09-2018, 09:51 PM   #2277
Dyslexic Dog

Just got back from a vacation in Utah. Visited Zion and Bryce. Also spent time looking in the backyard along the road. Found a collection in Glendale UT that had a bunch of classic Detroit iron.
Dyslexic Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:52 AM   #2278
MARTINSR

Didn't get crap done tonight, put away some parts is about it, but I was out there for my five minutes. I did put a photo I had printed on my truck that was photo shopped for me of my truck done! That will be a little more of a spark when I see it, I can use all the sparks I can get.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:14 AM   #2279
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyslexic Dog View Post
Just got back from a vacation in Utah. Visited Zion and Bryce. Also spent time looking in the backyard along the road. Found a collection in Glendale UT that had a bunch of classic Detroit iron.
Zion is so surreal, one of my favorite places!
Old 11-10-2018, 02:21 AM   #2280
MiraclePieCo

Toured around to show my truck off to a couple of friends, one who owns a '23 T-bucket and the other a '51 Ford PU. I'm pretty happy with the stance.

I ordered window channel kits, and I have an appointment to get the exhaust done next week.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #2281
MARTINSR

Muffler shmuffler who needs um. LOL

Brian

Old 11-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #2282
MARTINSR

Got the fenders primed, WHOO HOOOO! Off to the Goodguys.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2018, 04:19 AM   #2283
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Got the fenders primed, WHOO HOOOO! Off to the Goodguys.

Brian
Your primer looks better than most people's paint. You'd almost think you did that for a living or something...
Old 11-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #2284
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Your primer looks better than most people's paint. You'd almost think you did that for a living or something...
You know what's funny, I DID it for a living but haven't primed at work for 20 years!

One thing that blows me away is how fast it becomes old hat. The first time I was priming one of these parts and I knew I was out of primer before it stopped spraying, buy the weight of the gun, that blew my mind, I had forgotten that would even happen.

I put a bunch of stuff for sale on eBay hopefully will sell it all so I can get my frame powdercoated without having to dip into the family money. That's one thing I have tried to do, sell off stuff I don't need to pay for stuff on my truck. I found out yesterday that my NOS 56 California license plates are worth about $500! WHOOOO HOOOO!
And my "Club plaques" I have had up on my garage wall for 25 years, just another thing to move when I go to Idaho, might as well sell them now and pay for something on the truck!

Brian
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2018, 06:07 PM   #2285
mikebte

Installed the check engine light, installed and arranged a bunch of the stuff in and around the dash. Ran my A/C ducting aND found a GM key that does not go to my truck.
Attached Images

mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:08 PM   #2286
mikebte

Quote:
You know what's funny, I DID it for a living but haven't primed at work for 20 years!

One thing that blows me away is how fast it becomes old hat. The first time I was priming one of these parts and I knew I was out of primer before it stopped spraying, buy the weight of the gun, that blew my mind, I had forgotten that would even happen.

I put a bunch of stuff for sale on eBay hopefully will sell it all so I can get my frame powdercoated without having to dip into the family money. That's one thing I have tried to do, sell off stuff I don't need to pay for stuff on my truck. I found out yesterday that my NOS 56 California license plates are worth about $500! WHOOOO HOOOO!
And my "Club plaques" I have had up on my garage wall for 25 years, just another thing to move when I go to Idaho, might as well sell them now and pay for something on the truck!

Brian
Love the old plaques, super cool. Plates are worth there weight in gold. Must have for a classic car owner.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:29 PM   #2287
svr

Plan was to warm up the shop and reprime some areas that i sanded through the primer. Mother nature didnt cooperate. Temps this morning were 23 and foggy, not the 34 and clear so the air would warm up to 50'ish so my heat source could get things warmed up and keep them there, it made 28 is as warm as it got today. Nothing happened
Old 11-11-2018, 08:19 PM   #2288
MARTINSR

I stripped the header panel on the bed today, I am BEAT, BEAT!

I had straightened both sides, the entire thing was covered, both sides, with bondo. Now mind you, maybe an 1/8" tops, it's not a lot, but over about 10 square feet! HOLY CRAP that was a lot of work.

I have to REALLY re-think stripping the bed sides, they are the same, I have to REALLY re-think this. I don't know what the heck the difference was, the fenders stripped pretty easy with paint stripper, bondo and all. But this part, I don't get it, the stuff laughed at the paint stripper!

Yep, I have to re-think this whole bed, crap.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2018, 08:35 PM   #2289
DransportGarage

Quote:

Brian
You got some neat stuff !!!
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:39 PM   #2290
DransportGarage

Quote:
I stripped the header panel on the bed today, I am BEAT, BEAT!

I had straightened both sides, the entire thing was covered, both sides, with bondo. Now mind you, maybe an 1/8" tops, it's not a lot, but over about 10 square feet! HOLY CRAP that was a lot of work.

I have to REALLY re-think stripping the bed sides, they are the same, I have to REALLY re-think this. I don't know what the heck the difference was, the fenders stripped pretty easy with paint stripper, bondo and all. But this part, I don't get it, the stuff laughed at the paint stripper!

Brian
I've started factoring in how long I'll probably live before I do tasks like that... (but I usually do what's best for the truck.)
Old 11-11-2018, 08:47 PM   #2291
evilokc

drove it all weekend. the cold weather doesn't seem to bother it at all. doesn't miss a lick. tonight im going to try and get the hood sitting back on correctly and im having a door hinge issue. started running some beats to get my settings right for my firewall patch panel. got a few nice ones and then ran out of gas. figures right. I will get some gas tomorrow and continue
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:04 PM   #2292
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
I've started factoring in how long I'll probably live before I do tasks like that... (but I usually do what's best for the truck.)
I am torn, the bed sides look pretty good with just a little rust here and there. But it's all lacquer like the panel I did today. And lacquer doesn't protect that well, so this from panel did have some rust here and there. I plan on having it sand blasted too, even though I stripped it because there is a bunch that still needs to be blasted. I may do it here but it SUCKS.

I have even tossed around the idea of buying new, and that SUCKS because this is my bed, it looks real nice, if I left what was there and just fixed the rust here and there sand blasting and what not and then sand everything down thinner with 120 and epoxy primed the whole thing. It would save me a LOT of work over stripping it.

Brian

Old 11-11-2018, 09:22 PM   #2293
MARTINSR

I just looked up the cost and I could have a whole bed for about $950 DAAAAAAMN that's hard to turn down! CRAP

The sand blasting of this stuff if I were to strip it would be around $300 at least. So now we are talking $650 or so with no work, where as the bed would be probably at least 20-40 hours to get it paint ready. That's a hell of a lot of five minutes a day!

CRAP

Brian

Old 11-11-2018, 10:09 PM   #2294
DransportGarage

Quote:
I am torn, the bed sides look pretty good with just a little rust here and there. But it's all lacquer like the panel I did today. And lacquer doesn't protect that well, so this from panel did have some rust here and there. I plan on having it sand blasted too, even though I stripped it because there is a bunch that still needs to be blasted. I may do it here but it SUCKS.

I have even tossed around the idea of buying new, and that SUCKS because this is my bed, it looks real nice, if I left what was there and just fixed the rust here and there sand blasting and what not and then sand everything down thinner with 120 and epoxy primed the whole thing. It would save me a LOT of work over stripping it.

Brian
As I began to read your post I thought, I'd block it down til I hit metal, one coat hi solids primer, guide coat & block w/ P400, seal and shoot color. I shot over the original nitrocellulose lacquer with acrylic lacquer on my '55 Chevy sedan in 1981, and it looks GREAT today! Seriously. (Attached pic taken in 2011 when I did the 4 wheel disc brake conversion. It's an L.A. car w/ 61,000 miles on it - best sedan in Ohio! Many trophies, w/ triple trophies at the CCC regional in 1982...)
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2018, 10:24 PM   #2295
MARTINSR

That's how it was done 35 years ago Bob, it's really pretty solid, other than the lacquer primer and paint on top of it and the spots here and there of rust. But also, what would I be leaving that I don't see under the primer or filler?

It's a tough one.

Brian

Old 11-11-2018, 11:40 PM   #2296
Black_Sheep

I rearranged the garage and covered up my toys...
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:03 AM   #2297
MARTINSR

You have a beautiful garage Mark, that's for sure.

Brian

Old 11-12-2018, 12:36 AM   #2298
MARTINSR

I am feeling better, a bunch of my stuff is selling on ebay and I have my money to get the frame and other stuff powder coated, WHOOO HOOO! After Thanksgiving, it will get done. WHOOO HOOO!

Brian

Old 11-12-2018, 01:46 AM   #2299
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
I stripped the header panel on the bed today, I am BEAT, BEAT! HOLY CRAP that was a lot of work.

Brian
If it's that well adhered, it ain't goin' nowhere - shoot over it! Heck, if you bought a Boyd Coddington or Chip Foose car it would have that much bondo. Trying to be better than Foose would tire anyone out, ha ha!
Old 11-12-2018, 01:49 AM   #2300
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
I rearranged the garage and covered up my toys...
But, but, but you can't look at your beautiful truck every day when it's all covered up!