The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #326
RootBeer 6117

Re: Freddy's '52

Good stuff! I was wondering what happened to you. I did some motor mount/engine relocating and I think I could get the stock ac back on mine now with a little inner fender tweaking. I was really hoping to get mine on the road but its not looking like its going to happen I think I am going to have to part with it.
RootBeer 6117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #327
1952ssr

I'm still here, hadn't been on the site in some time. Hate that you may be parting with it. Keep us posted.
1952ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:37 PM   #328
1952ssr

Well, it's been a while since I been on my thread but I wanted to update yall on what I've been doing. Hopefully this year "Fred" will run the best he's ever ran. I put a 3 way sensor in the waterpump to run the PCM and the temp gauge, then replaced the temp gauge sensor with my fan switch sensor. After the forum guys helped me figure out that stupid me put my upper A-arms on the wrong side I finally got around to swapping them to their rightful place. AND

I've also almost got everything I need to start building another truck. I get so many people asking about buying mine I have decided to build one and sell it to finance a nice new shop for me. So far I've got a '95 caprice classic for the donor car w/ a LT1 and just bought one s10 for my chassis and should have another bought in the next week to trade with my wifes cousin who has several AD trucks for enough pieces to build the truck. Stay tuned I should get started in another month.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #329
watahyahknow

dont know how the body of the s10 is looking
if you put the lt1 engine trans and narrowed rearaxle with a minispool in the small and light s10 pickup you could make a nice small quarter mile racer out of it without too mush cash outlay
the engine is allready injected from the factory so if you have an (stock/hacked) ecu thats programmable you could put a small to medium size turbo on it too while leaving the rest mostly stock
maibe a good 4 link or truckarm type rearsuspension and a notch in the fame
then put some nice used rims and tires on it straighten the sheetmetal maibe put a hoodbulge on it and paint it matt black

i bet someone that just turning 16 would jump all over it if you offer it as a budget dragster and wouldnt kill himself the first run
he prolly be running intoo the 13s and getting quicker once he starts adding a transbrake stronger parts and ups the boost

the turbo is actually pretty eazy on the engine unlike nitrous or a blower if you choose the right one
there are some trick that makes the stock parts "work" under boost
fitting some thicker headgaskets lowers the compression some
like having the pistonring gaps enlarged so they whont but and seize in the cilinder due to the higher heat
a turbo cam is actually a moderate cam with verry little to no overlap
some shims under the intakesprings or stronger springs might be a good idea
theres an old story on the turbo forum http://www.theturboforums.com/thread...part-2-to-come that tells about a guy that blew up his build turbo engine and basicly put the over the top turbo setup on a high milage junkyard engine using mostly parts fished out of the recycle bin and stuff like that
that story has a LOT of info in it about cheap parts that realy work
the biggest secret was prolly that he was realy good at tuning the engine so it never detonated
you can mount the turbo behind the cab and the plumbing will become a lot eazier
you can use he stock exhaust headers and fabricate a Y to the turbo from there
theres a lot of room under the truck and the bed for the turbo and a lot less heat under the hood compared to a turbo near the engine
you would need an oilline to the turbo (low pressure usually a brakeline type of deal from near the oilfilter or the oilpressure sensor )
with a remote turbo you will need a scavengepump (you can use a 12 volt geardrive feedpump for an oilheater , look for a bronze one those can take more heat) that draws the oil out of the turbo and up intoo one of the rockercovers (instead of the breather on that side )

there have been quite a few of these trucks with the v8 swap that i seen on you tube and a lot of them are used on the dragstrip

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts

Last edited by watahyahknow; 03-20-2015 at 06:27 PM.
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:21 AM   #330
Kodiaks53

Look forward to your new build. Still plugging away on my 53.....getting there slowly !
Old 03-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #331
lower50's

Very nice looking truck. The patina and stance worked out perfectly. How do you find the ride height, now that you have been driving for a while. 4.5" bumper right?
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:51 PM   #332
51chevytruck

How did you figure out your a arms were swapped? When I reassembled my front end I wasn't sure which was which, its not obvious. I may have done the same thing! Its not on the road yet.

Thanks
Tom
51chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:30 AM   #333
steve aleve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952ssr View Post
Well, it's been a while since I been on my thread but I wanted to update yall on what I've been doing. Hopefully this year "Fred" will run the best he's ever ran. I put a 3 way sensor in the waterpump to run the PCM and the temp gauge, then replaced the temp gauge sensor with my fan switch sensor. After the forum guys helped me figure out that stupid me put my upper A-arms on the wrong side I finally got around to swapping them to their rightful place. AND

I've also almost got everything I need to start building another truck. I get so many people asking about buying mine I have decided to build one and sell it to finance a nice new shop for me. So far I've got a '95 caprice classic for the donor car w/ a LT1 and just bought one s10 for my chassis and should have another bought in the next week to trade with my wifes cousin who has several AD trucks for enough pieces to build the truck. Stay tuned I should get started in another month.
1952ssr, I have a quick question in regards to your radiator. Which radiator did you use and since you set your cab as low as you did, was it difficult to have the radiator avoid the steering box? Thanks in advance
steve aleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #334
1952ssr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lower50's View Post
Very nice looking truck. The patina and stance worked out perfectly. How do you find the ride height, now that you have been driving for a while. 4.5" bumper right?
Thanks! Yeah right about 4-4.5", it isn't really bad to drive. Just have to be mindful of everything when driving, a possum has had a bad day if it's in the road.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #335
1952ssr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51chevytruck View Post
How did you figure out your a arms were swapped? When I reassembled my front end I wasn't sure which was which, its not obvious. I may have done the same thing! Its not on the road yet.

Thanks
Tom
The alignment guy never could get the caster right. Here is a picture of how they should be. The one where they're painted black is the wrong way. The more rounded side goes towards the rear.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #336
1952ssr

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve aleve View Post
1952ssr, I have a quick question in regards to your radiator. Which radiator did you use and since you set your cab as low as you did, was it difficult to have the radiator avoid the steering box? Thanks in advance
I used the Z28 radiator. I had to kick it out to the front as with most applications. I had to modify the grill for clearance since it was wider than what most people use. The angle actually worked out perfect with the filler cap. Everything at the front had to be modified, inner fenders and radiator cover. Hope you can tell by the pictures.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #337
steve aleve

Awesome thanks man! I think I am going to have to tilt my radiator too. The only other option I see is a rack and pinion swap (thanks to skymangs) and it seems like no one has done that successfully without purchasing the thousand dollar kits. I guess these are the kinds of details that make each project unique. I set the cab on the frame and had the fenders hung and it seems like the rear of my front fenders are about 4" off the ground so the running boards are 3.5". I don't mind the huge tunnel I had to make, it's just the pesky radiator. lol Would you do anything different with your radiator if you had to do it all over?
steve aleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #338
1952ssr

I was thinking about that on my '53 I'm building with an LT1 also. I have done some searching on Rockauto pertaining to a vette radiator but they're isn't much difference in size. That would be my only change to find one a little smaller, I have not regreated cutting the front panel down. It makes it so much more easier to work on the motor. Keep watching my new build Freddy's part 2 if I come up with a solution. It may be a while, I am starting from the rear on that build going to the front.