The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #351
Kim57

Re: Project: Over My Head

Nice progress.
Kim
Old 01-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #352
mrvette

Them wires look like going to get destroyed by your left foot/boot if not internally from fatigue certainly cut by the metal...should be through the metal much higher up with a good grommet, and then wrapped in late model wire wrap down to their destination.....

Also, how far does that brake pedal travel?? I would pull the m/cyl off the booster, and check the travel, for all the world it looks like it's a foot off the firewall/floor in the pix...seems that should be less than 1/2 that distance,

mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #353
yossarian19

I agree on both counts, dad.
The MC is actually attached to the frame, about as far back as under the bench seat. There is a pivot and a link rod leading back to the booster. That link rod needs to be shortened and made adjustable so I can get the pedal height correct. Since it works as is, though, that project isn't on the top of the list.

The wires, I'll clean up some day. Wire routing, engine and body, has been a royal mess from day 1. I am driving it as-is while I think about how to logically separate sub-harnesses and how / where to route things.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #354
Justin@EntropyRad

in to see the completion...going to matte clear over the patina, or did i miss that part?
Sales/Support
Entropy Radiator / Engineered Cooling Products
"The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods" - www.EntropyRad.com www.speedcooling.com
Justin@EntropyRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #355
mrvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
I agree on both counts, dad.
The MC is actually attached to the frame, about as far back as under the bench seat. There is a pivot and a link rod leading back to the booster. That link rod needs to be shortened and made adjustable so I can get the pedal height correct. Since it works as is, though, that project isn't on the top of the list.

The wires, I'll clean up some day. Wire routing, engine and body, has been a royal mess from day 1. I am driving it as-is while I think about how to logically separate sub-harnesses and how / where to route things.
Good, long as you know....but they call it elecTRICKals for a reason......

For anyone else, I"m an old ET for some 60 years now, since age 10 or so, maybe earlier....hotrodders moved into the burb and so tossed my bike aside and slid under the cars helping the teen agers out.....try a '49 Ford Flat Head, baby blue metallic, lowered, chopped, channeled, dual antennas, mud flaps, and FULL SIZE MOON spun aluminum caps.....louvered hood too......they moved in from the west coast, so I was just a hanger on at their folks house....they had many years on me, ....but another guy came of age and bought a ~35 coupe....and had a ENGINE in it....I helped much as I could....Decades ago I remember getting into the hydraulic brain of my '61 Catalina....and modifying it to learn to SHIFT, it was the full 4 speed hydro, not the 'slim Jim'......been a while....
Old 01-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #356
Mjminino

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
Good, long as you know....but they call it elecTRICKals for a reason......
Never thought about it that way! I am up against wiring the entire truck brand new.... that is NOT going to be fun!!!
Mjminino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:15 PM   #357
mrvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjminino View Post
Never thought about it that way! I am up against wiring the entire truck brand new.... that is NOT going to be fun!!!
First thing is get a GOOD soldering station, ebay a used WELLER get a few new tips 800f temp.....Radio Shack or ebay some good electronic solder it has flux in the wire, do NOT use plumbing solder or plumbing flux that is acid and will eat helll out of the copper wires causing failures.....once you get proficient with the setup, you maybe can just redo the wiring in the vehicle, it's only bad on the connection ends, due to corrosion/water/age/salt even, boats really suffer.....

so maybe it's not as bad as your worst nitemares....
Old 01-20-2015, 05:57 PM   #358
Mjminino

Well, I don't have any wiring, it never came with any hahaha. Do you have a brand name off the top of your head? I am going to end up using water proof disconnects on everything for ease of working on it if something breaks. http://m.ebay.com/itm/271593124144?_mwBanner=1
Old 01-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #359
Justin@EntropyRad

gm weatherpacks can be had cheap on aliexpress if you need a bunch!
Sales/Support
Entropy Radiator / Engineered Cooling Products
"The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods" - www.EntropyRad.com www.speedcooling.com
Justin@EntropyRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #360
mrvette

Quote:
Well, I don't have any wiring, it never came with any hahaha. Do you have a brand name off the top of your head? I am going to end up using water proof disconnects on everything for ease of working on it if something breaks. http://m.ebay.com/itm/271593124144?_mwBanner=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@EntropyRad View Post
gm weatherpacks can be had cheap on aliexpress if you need a bunch!
Fine for signal circuits.....not so good for any power connections,
Old 01-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #361
Mjminino

Why is that? They seem to work for gm? What power connections are you talking about?
Old 01-20-2015, 10:51 PM   #362
yossarian19

Erm.
You need to make sure that connectors are rated for the power that goes through them. "weatherpack" is a trade name for, I think, a Delphi line of connectors - but it's not a power rating spec, it's just a trade name. It's also become a bit like "frisbee" or "kleenex" in usage - it's used to describe a whole phenotype instead of the specific brand.
So, instead of grabbing a ton of generic "Weatherpack" connectors you might make sure they are rated for the application where you're going to use them.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:23 AM   #363
yossarian19

ACK.
I made it off the couch around 830 and started working on a new ECM mounting plate, thinking to eventually move everything under the dash.
Cut a bit of sheet metal with the grinder, marked & drilled a few holes - and everything is nice and square when I realize that I drilled 2 of the 4 holes 1" short.
Apparently, I need a good night's sleep more than I need to re-wire the truck right now. So I'm off to bed - and another try later.
When I eventually have it all planned out, I'll try and take pictures and put together a "cut list" for re-working an LS harness to make it lay flat & mount the ECM under dash.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #364
mrvette

Quote:
Why is that? They seem to work for gm? What power connections are you talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
Erm.
You need to make sure that connectors are rated for the power that goes through them. "weatherpack" is a trade name for, I think, a Delphi line of connectors - but it's not a power rating spec, it's just a trade name. It's also become a bit like "frisbee" or "kleenex" in usage - it's used to describe a whole phenotype instead of the specific brand.
So, instead of grabbing a ton of generic "Weatherpack" connectors you might make sure they are rated for the application where you're going to use them.
Yup, the type connectors shown can't carry enough current to run say a set of Dual Spal cooling fans...they take a steady ~20 amps and 30+ on start up...., much less an upgraded HVAC blower motor so the blades on the connectors have over twice the surface connection area, heavier wire obviously, and so I find when they get old, even the heavier connectors start to heat up with corrosion making resistance, making heat, ahd melt the plastic, eventually total failure....so when I redo them on my cars, I have just soldered the wire directly on to the relay terminals, grenade proof.....
Old 01-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #365
yossarian19

So, my trans cooler lines were done in haste and made from 3/8 bulk hose. They don't route quite right going under / past the radiator and radiator support and if I route them right past that point, they ride on the exh. manifold.
Time to revamp the lines with a section of hard line - but damned if I'm going AN at this point (expense) and plumbing fittings are both more expensive than I'd thought and bulky / ugly.
Research time.
Come to find out, various types of nylon have excellent hydraulic oil resistance. Some tubings do, some don't - depends on the specific nylon. Nylons 6, 6/6 & 12 are impervious to hydraulic oil (trans fluid), gasoline and some other junk besides.
OK, interesting, but where does this leave me with my leftover Dorman 3/8 fuel line tubing?
Well, Dorman lists the stuff as made from Nylon 12. So it should be good for gas, ATF and other junk. I'll take a chance. Pictures tell the rest.

So, for $9 worth of fittings and some leftover tubing I've got "firm" lines I can run down the inner fender. I'll use the rubber I've already got to connect to these. Using the Dorman fittings with Dorman line, it's ridiculously easy to put together - just follow the directions and understand that you can't push them in by hand. See my caulk-gun-press-thingy.

Also, this baby is pretty cool (even if he cuts into my garage time ) Vice is a 5" for reference.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:12 PM   #366
Mjminino

Dang look at that hair! Lol never go wrong with a good set of hair
Old 01-29-2015, 11:25 PM   #367
Kim57

Very cute kid.
Kim
Old 01-30-2015, 12:30 AM   #368
oldman3

Cute guy you have there. Like your caulk-gun thingy...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:26 AM   #369
yossarian19

Well, I scratched the itch to drive the truck. With 100 miles of shakedown, I realized:
*The wiring was messy enough to potentially cause problems (rubbing, troubleshooting later, just ugly).
*wheel bearings need to be tightened / re greased.
*P. side king pin boss is sloppy. Bummer.
*Power Steering pressure lines need to be re-routed to stay clear of the brake pedal (remember, Hydroboost brakes)

So, I tore into the engine wiring harness (again). Each time I mess with the wiring it gets a bit closer. This time I'll leave the truck on stands & apart until it's "right".
The wheel bearings I'll tighten up of course but I don't know that I've got the stomach to put machine work into fixing this I-beam suspension. I think I'll drive it until I get my hands on some kind of IFS.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #370
Kim57

Hope you get all the bugs worked out.
Kim
Old 02-01-2015, 01:39 PM   #371
DransportGarage

I'm sure you know this, but don't over-tighten the wheel bearings trying to solve some other problem. Be sure to follow the specification for the type of bearing in use, be it stock or upgraded.
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:58 PM   #372
yossarian19

Been picking at it a little here & there. I think all the sensor connections are about the right length, things are bundled together based on where they lead. I've got a plan for routing it all around the intake etc.
Six ground wires need to get adjusted & connected to a single lug, then I think I'm ready to work on a mounting plate for ECM & fuse box. Once I know how they'll sit in relation to each other I can adjust the length & bundle the connections.
Anyway... progress shot. Doesn't look like much but should be pretty easy to route & keep it out of sight.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:47 PM   #373
DransportGarage

You've been busy! Looks great!
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:03 PM   #374
47 Fasttoys

I feel your pain on the wiring, I just finished my engine wiring in the last couple of weeks. I'm doing the chassis and dash now so if I can be of any help just post up questions. Here's a picture of of how much stuff your gonna have and it's a lot to try and get under the dash.
Rob
Old 02-21-2015, 11:11 PM   #375
Kim57

And now the fun starts.
Looks good.
Kim