The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2018, 09:58 PM   #26
Rickysnickers

Re: Trip to the auto parts store just isn't the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfnar View Post
She said "No, but I'll have to get one of the old guys to help you. They'll have to look it up in a book and I don't know how to use the books."
Seriously??? She couldn't read a book???
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #27
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
IKR? If it doesn't have a drop down menu I guess it doesn't compute. At the local O'Reillys, there was a young gal there that actually did a really good job. I saw her in the parking lot once changing wiper blades for some guy.

I went to a speed shop that is now out of business (Autocessories), asking for a set of headers for my '56 Chevy wagon. This was in the early '80s. He asked me, "What engine?" He had kind of an attitude, so I told him a 305 SBC (an engine from a much later vehicle, obviously), and he told me they had nothing for it. I told him to sell me a set for a 283 in the same car, and he wouldn't do it! I went out the door and came back in when the dude was busy with another customer and asked for headers for a 283 in a '56 Chevy and finally got some headers.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:34 AM   #28
scott123

I think it is pretty much across the board. Customer service is a lost art in most areas.

I'm only 48 and it is not like I think I am 88....but it seems now were are pleasantly surprised when we get good customer service as I think we have become numb to the fact it is not out there as it once was.

As for the auto parts stores, like most small local businesses, the big guys hav forced them out with volume and pricing.

Ours was Southern Auto Parts and Standard Motor parts. Small town owners and very knowledgeable. Like the above post. They knew you well enough to know what you drove, especially project wise.

I could go in and say, "I need a water pump". And he would say new truck or old truck.

And that meant "short pump or long pump".

If you still have that parts store in your area, count your blessings.

Scott
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #29
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I was a parts counterman back in the late '70s; all we had were books,
That's what I grew up with. A good counter guy/gal would spin that book rack around and ask you if that's the part you need. I miss those days.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #30
scott123

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuccales View Post
That's what I grew up with. A good counter guy/gal would spin that book rack around and ask you if that's the part you need. I miss those days.
God forbid they have to a book for a part now. You are pretty much screwed.

Select make/model/ year/engine size and if it does not pop up it is obvious that part does not exist.

And when you walk out you are the idiot for asking such a question.

My son worked in the local Advance Auto for a stint.

I asked his manager for steel 'donut' exhaust gaskets for a 69 Chevelle 396. He asked did I have one. I said nope but I use them as header collector gaskets vs. the paper inserts. He just about refused to sell them to me as he says I would just be bringing them back.

I truly miss our local parts store from my younger years.

I think the Rock Auto commercial is way accurate for most parts places these days.

Scott
Old 04-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #31
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjewell2 View Post
Darn straight, that's how it is here, I don't care if it is ten bucks more per part, many times I have taken two styles of the same item not knowing wicth one the customer had never charged me a penny until I come back with the one I didn't use, been like that for 20yrs . Know everybody there including owner on a first name basis. Also If I need a part and running late and not get there in time they have a hiding spot for me to pick up behind the store, now that's small town business,, we need more of it.
There are also 3 ladies that work at this parts store I frequent. They are awesome and know a lot parts by memory instead of digging through stuff. This place still has racks of parts books near the computers in case they need to reference anything.

I was in there a couple years ago for a master cylinder. The the parts girl Ashley pulled it out of the box to check it (which they do for every part they sell to ensure it matches what you're looking for), it was missing the cover gasket. It was the last unit they had on the shelf and I needed it that day. She went to their aftermarket parts and grabbed a chrome m/c cover that had a gasket with it, and threw it in the box with the m/c. "On the house" She said. I thanked her and paid for the m/c only and left happy as a clam. How often does that happen?

I will cherish this place as long as they remain open. I will also continue to support them by sending new customers their way whenever I can.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #32
cardude

Wink Re: Trip to the auto parts store just isn't the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
There are also 3 ladies that work at this parts store I frequent. They are awesome and know a lot parts by memory instead of digging through stuff. This place still has racks of parts books near the computers in case they need to reference anything.

I was in there a couple years ago for a master cylinder. The the parts girl Ashley pulled it out of the box to check it (which they do for every part they sell to ensure it matches what you're looking for), it was missing the cover gasket. It was the last unit they had on the shelf and I needed it that day. She went to their aftermarket parts and grabbed a chrome m/c cover that had a gasket with it, and threw it in the box with the m/c. "On the house" She said. I thanked her and paid for the m/c only and left happy as a clam. How often does that happen?

I will cherish this place as long as they remain open. I will also continue to support them by sending new customers their way whenever I can.

Gary
Dang! What's the name of that parts house there on Whidbey Island?!
Next time I go north to visit the kids in Seattle, I'm gonna make a side trip out there with a parts list just to help 'um stay in business!
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:25 AM   #33
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

I avoid at all cost unless its an emergency.....Amazon, Rock Auto are my vendors of choice.
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #34
RustyBucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy1 View Post
I usually look up the part I need online and have the part number in hand when I walk in. Then the young parts guy or gal doesn't need to look it up, and I know what the price should be beforehand.
I do this too, and hafta praise my local Oreilly a little. A visit is usually a pretty pleasant experience. The Mgr. is a member of our car club and most of his employees are friendly and helpful. They may or may not be knowledgeable but try hard and don't argue. He gives us a break on some parts and is real good on ordering same day from their warehouse in Orlando. Will order parts over the phone and has delivered to my house. Had one young counter guy that bailed me out several times diagnosing & repairing my my kids Hondas. Typing this got me thinkin, been hanging around auto parts counters 50yrs. I do miss the good ones I used over the years but between online parts catalogs and YOUTUBE (and this site) I'm pretty satisfied.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #35
davepl

I already know the part number and whether they have it before I get there. But that's almost "never" because 2-day shipping on Amazon is more convenient than a half hour drive to pick up a part as long as you plan a little bit ahead.

And it's not the Amazon is killing these business, they're killing themselves off and Amazon is just picking up the leftover business....
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #36
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy1 View Post
I usually look up the part I need online and have the part number in hand when I walk in. Then the young parts guy or gal doesn't need to look it up, and I know what the price should be beforehand.
This^^^

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:53 PM   #37
weq92f

I used to work a parts counter during my college days back before the use of computers took over for the standard catalog bank. Back then, you pretty much had to know what you were doing in order to help out a customer. Not only did you need to have an understanding of basic car stuff ( how stuff works, what parts go where, diagnostic and troubleshooting skills, etc. ) but you also needed to have solid knowledge of the parts catalogs and how to use them.

90% of parts counter "agents" today wouldn't be able to look up a part using the old system. Even less would be able to give reasonable automotive repair advice to someone seeking it.

These days, I get most of my parts online. Occasionally I'll head over to the local parts house for something, but I try to avoid it.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:42 PM   #38
racerop

I have been dealing with the guy on the phone is more important than the person standing in the store with money in hand in this area for more than 20 years. It’s frustrating.
racerop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #39
SJLenz1340

Interesting thread. The lack of interpersonal skills aside, and along with that the lack of service (customer or otherwise), and let us not forget the lack of basic knowledge in your job, we could go on with this and rants about the old days forever. I love the statement regarding Amazon and how businesses are destroying themselves. Never a more true statement made!

Perhaps I am a bit spoiled because I have an old style NAPA and an OReiley’s close that are great. And somewhat off subject there is a real machine shop within a mile of both! Think about the fact that we now have at least 4 generations in the workforce right now. Philosophies regarding service, support, and what us boomers call a work ethic are changing. That is not to say that we have a right (albeit duty) to vote with our favorite dollars in the marketplace.

All joking aside, I teach in post secondary adult (well mostly. adult) vocational training where a fair amount of science, math, and engineering concepts are delivered daily. Keeping the attention of younger individuals away from their phone (I call it the center of the universe for laughs) is more than challenging. I am with many here in that I will not compete for attention from anyone, either choose to interact with me or go back to your “center”
I will now sit in the balcony and watch.
Regards
Old 04-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #40
cleszkie

Here in southern California, where there is a really strong vintage car and truck culture, there are still some very good Mom & Pop auto parts stores and speed shops around. These stores survive in the shadows of the big name auto parts chain stores because there are enough vintage auto and truck enthusiasts that still use these stores (for all the reasons mentioned in this thread). My personal favorite is a shop called Hub Auto Supply on Harbor Boulevard in Costa Mesa, CA. These are a bunch of old timers with the collection of parts books/catalogues on the counters, and decades of personal experience wrenching on stuff. The floors are covered in checkered asbestos tiles, ceiling fans instead of A/C, and the stools at the parts counters are covered with duct tape. But those guys ALWAYS get what I need for all my vintage car and truck projects. Over the years, they have brought in some younger staff that have the same interests, background, and skills, and these young guys are just as good as the old timers.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #41
Jacoby

I try to go to the auto parts store as often as I can for fluids and what not just to give them a chance but when it comes to actual parts I usually end up buying online. Brick and mortar stores are dying and its sad.
Jacoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:39 PM   #42
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Dang! What's the name of that parts house there on Whidbey Island?!
Next time I go north to visit the kids in Seattle, I'm gonna make a side trip out there with a parts list just to help 'um stay in business!
Oak Harbor Auto Parts. They share the same parking lot as Les Schwab Tires on HWY20. Tell 'em Gary Strassburg sent you.

If there are couple of girls behind the counter... don't worry. Gal named Lee-lee is the owner and Ashley or Kathy will take care of ya. Great place to go for parts.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #43
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
well, this is the same generation that doesn't know better than to eat laundry powder
Old 04-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #44
landarts
landarts

I started this thread after coming home from the auto parts store. I was a bit mad and felt that this seemed to be happening everywhere I go. then I stepped back and after a day or so of cooling down and wondered if I was just being to sensitive or in a bad mood and seeing it all wrong. So I called a friend of mine that has real close connections to the store, he knows some of the workers and the previous owners of the store. Needless to say he has some long history with the store.

I called him and began to tell him the story and before I could get to the end he said that he knew who I was talking about. He said that the guy was the store manager and has had a few issues with his customer service/people skills. The new owners have had a few words with him and it seems to have not done any good.

This thread has been interesting and have really enjoyed all the input and stories...thanks guys!
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #45
Advanced Design

Fortunate here as our local stores are really good. Stopped by the Napa with my Grandsons Saturday morning. Boys had a good time looking things over!
Attached Images

Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:35 PM   #46
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
well, this is the same generation that doesn't know better than to eat laundry powder
I kid you not, that is passé. The new rage is sucking a condom up one's nose and pulling it out of one's mouth. The human race is going to have a brain implosion if this keeps up.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #47
darrellyates

Just have to comment.

I LOVE going to the auto parts store! Especially the name brand ones... AutoZone, Advance, even the local NAPA store.

They always ask for make, year, model, engine... So I always tell them. 1968 Chevrolet C10, 6.2 LS3, 4L60E...

Of course, I always have my parts numbers looked up in advance but it's funny to watch them fumble around trying to look stuff up!
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #48
scott123

This is very accurate. I work in a pharmaceutical plant. We have a no cell phone policy in the work areas. But we can't keep up with technology.
We had a kid set a bag with a fork lift in the upper rack. He returned from the warehouse and did not lower the mast. He crashed into the doorway. The video showed him driving with his knees and using his new smart watch to access the world.

Being unhooked from the world even for short stints seems to be harder and harder to find.

S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJLenz1340 View Post
Interesting thread. The lack of interpersonal skills aside, and along with that the lack of service (customer or otherwise), and let us not forget the lack of basic knowledge in your job, we could go on with this and rants about the old days forever. I love the statement regarding Amazon and how businesses are destroying themselves. Never a more true statement made!

Perhaps I am a bit spoiled because I have an old style NAPA and an OReiley’s close that are great. And somewhat off subject there is a real machine shop within a mile of both! Think about the fact that we now have at least 4 generations in the workforce right now. Philosophies regarding service, support, and what us boomers call a work ethic are changing. That is not to say that we have a right (albeit duty) to vote with our favorite dollars in the marketplace.

All joking aside, I teach in post secondary adult (well mostly. adult) vocational training where a fair amount of science, math, and engineering concepts are delivered daily. Keeping the attention of younger individuals away from their phone (I call it the center of the universe for laughs) is more than challenging. I am with many here in that I will not compete for attention from anyone, either choose to interact with me or go back to your “center”
I will now sit in the balcony and watch.
Regards
Old 04-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #49
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfield View Post
It still cracks me up, just yesterday, asked for brake rotors for the '69 K20 "what size engine?" is the first question.
I need brake parts!
Not engine parts!
Man that cracks me up. Its well known to get the guys goat when you walk into one of these places just ask for a set of valve cover gaskets for a Gen 1 Chevy.

You will know immediately if the individual has any smarts whatsoever!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:31 PM   #50
Overdriven

One of my stories involves Pep Boys. I got my stuff without issue but the girl at the register caused problems. First words out of her mouth were “phone number?”, not “hello, find everything you need” or some other pleasantry. I politely said “No thank you” as I don’t care about whatever tiny rewards I get for giving you all my personal info and tracking my purchases. Stores claim it makes return easier too, especially if you lose the receipt, which I guess is convenient but not worth it to me.

Well she insists I have to give her my phone number and won’t accept no for an answer. So I give and start saying “1, 2, 3”, she interrupts “no your real phone number”. I tell her “I don’t have to give you my phone number, I can walk out and go somewhere else”. She says “fine” in a pissed off tone and starts mashing the keyboard, rings up my items and never says a word except my total. No goodbye, have a nice day. I take my change and say “that’s the managers office over there right?” Her face went white realizing what was about to happen.

Told the manager about the girl’s rudeness during the exchange. Manager said there was no option to skip the phone number they had to enter one. “So the employee is instructed to rudely badger the customer until they give in?” Manager didn’t know what to say and barely half heartedly apologized for my experience. I haven’t stepped foot in another pep boys since. I’ll go to the wholesale places and wait until they’re off the phone.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote