The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2017, 10:49 PM   #1
MikeMcCl

Starter/solenoid/ignition/battery problem

I have a 1972 C10 long bed with a 350 small block and a 4-speed manual. About a week ago it was running really good it ran the wrong and healthy. But as of Friday I tried to crank it over and it made a weird clicking noise I asked my Auto Tech Teacher about it and he told me it was the solenoid and I replaced it. I replaced it today started it up it ran really good. I turned it off five minutes later then tried to turn it back on it and they gave me the same weird clicking noise. I was on the phone with my Auto Tech Teacher for about an hour-and-a-half today going through every little thing trying to figure it out and we both came to the conclusion that it's probably going to be the starter. I talked to my dad about it and he predicts for some reason it's the alternator which I don't understand how it would have anything to do with it. The battery is less than 6 months old . But after digging through wiring and burning my hands constantly on the Block and the headers we're predicting it's one of two things either the starter or the ignition switch. I would like some sort of input on this from you guys. I am slowly figuring this out as I go. I'm not much for electrical I am more of mechanically minded. But this is my senior year Cruiser and I would like it to have it done because this is my last week of school. Help would be much appreciated thank you very much.
Attached Images

MikeMcCl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:27 PM   #2
custom10nut

Re: Starter/solenoid/ignition/battery problem

Check to make sure all your contacts a tight. I would even put some dielectric grease on all of them and then tighten them down. It doesn't take much for corrosion to build up, and cause what you describe
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
davepl

Really sounds as simple as a low battery from your description, that's when they will go "click click click click (etc)" when you turn the key.

The causes for a low battery are many, but what happens if you fully charge the battery with a charger and then start the truck? If it works then, you've ruled out the starter and solenoid and everything else except the charging system.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
franken

You need to get a voltmeter and start measuring. First, voltage across the battery at with the truck off and no load, then turn on the lights and measure again. Then while trying to start, check voltage to ground from the solenoid S-terminal.
Even with a charged battery (12.6V) you need good wiring and good, tight, clean, connections.

Or you can buy a starter to go w/ the solenoid that didn't fix the problem...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:04 PM   #5
LongBox

Old Chevys had a wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid that was a little on the light side for the job it had to do. Just guessing here, but I think it was purple. Anyway, as this wire ages, the resistance goes up, and eventually, it can not carry enough current to operate the solenoid and hold it closed.

Worth looking into. I'd diagnose this by jumping a wire from the positive battery post to the solenoid.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:21 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I would have to guess you have a bad connection. Completely remove both of the battery cables, clean the inside of the cable ends, the battery posts, the flat ends of the battery cables, the post on the starter solenoid, and the engine block where the ground cable bolts to, re-install them and see if that helps.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:09 PM   #7
dmjlambert

If you have a marine battery terminal that is the type that clamps onto your wire and clamps onto your battery, I found out the hard way those are crap. Also, there is such a thing as heat soak of your solenoid and starter from your headers.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote