The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
AJLChase

Difficult decision of whether or not to sell

I've been a long time 67-72 truck fan and am on my third one as we speak. Right now I'm unemployed, have a bad back, in college full time and have a family with a 10 month old daughter. Not being very mechanically gifted I purchased a pretty decently equipped 67 that was one family owner. I tried working on it when I could, or when my back would allow, and I am just out of money and time to continue to do much of anything with it.

I've had the truck close to 4 years and have maybe put 150 miles on it. I have since replaced all ball joints, rods, pitman as well as put a power front disc break setup, new rims and tires, lowering kit. I've also replaced the fuel pump, Carb, Intake Manifold, Valve Covers, Windshield Seal and had the TH400 rebuilt, as well as other small things.

I feel I've spent too much money on it to just give it away, considering how great of shape the body is in, to just up and sell it. But, not driving it as long as I have and not really being a family accessible vehicle is not leaving my wife too happy.

What would you guys do?
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Re: Difficult decision of whether or not to sell

I'm not telling you to sell your truck, but "if momma ain't happy, nobody's happy". You have to do what's right for your family, especially if the truck really doesn't fit into your situation. I'm one of those guys who gets really attached to my vehicles, so I can understand what it's like not wanting to let go, but it sounds like you should strongly consider finding something that better fits your life right now. Do you have another vehicle or is the truck your sole mean of transportation?

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
garett

Take care of ur families need first is my motto. I know how it goes wife told me I had to many and I needed to sell one. I let my 66 carryall go one month ago. It sucks but sometimes things that don't make sense come back making more then ever.
Posted via Mobile Device
garett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
AJLChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg69 View Post
I'm not telling you to sell your truck, but "if momma ain't happy, nobody's happy". You have to do what's right for your family, especially if the truck really doesn't fit into your situation. I'm one of those guys who gets really attached to my vehicles, so I can understand what it's like not wanting to let go, but it sounds like you should strongly consider finding something that better fits your life right now. Do you have another vehicle or is the truck your sole mean of transportation?
This truck was suppose to be my sole mode of transportation, but I've been fighting with my inexperience to keep it up and running, leaving it to sit for long periods of time.

I am just not sure what to ask for it as far as sale value considering it's got the numbers matching 327 that came with the oil bath breather, Buddy Bucket seats and the Speed Warn dash. Not to mention all of the other stuff I put on it. I'm just worried I'll get nothing but a bunch of tire kickers and low ballers wanting something for nothing. Though I don't even know what it's real value is.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Probably best to sell it. I drive my truck that much in a week, just putting around town. If you're not mechanically inclined, these trucks are very expensive to own because then you have to pay for parts AND labor. With your financial situation, it doesn't really give you the luxury of keeping something around like that. Maybe after you finish school and land a job, you can buy another one that's fully restored for you
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
boynton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Probably best to sell it. I drive my truck that much in a week, just putting around town. If you're not mechanically inclined, these trucks are very expensive to own because then you have to pay for parts AND labor. With your financial situation, it doesn't really give you the luxury of keeping something around like that. Maybe after you finish school and land a job, you can buy another one that's fully restored for you
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree 100% if you can't work on it yourself these trucks will break the bank. It is going to be hard for anyone to tell you what to sell it for without seeing it in person. You will never get all of your money back that I know... family then toys is the best way to go. You can replace the truck, not your family.
Posted via Mobile Device
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584499
1970 SWB One Owner Step Side 6.0 LY6/6L90
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617630 Junkyard's 1971 short wide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...86#post7531186
boynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
AJLChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by boynton View Post
I agree 100% if you can't work on it yourself these trucks will break the bank. It is going to be hard for anyone to tell you what to sell it for without seeing it in person. You will never get all of your money back that I know... family then toys is the best way to go. You can replace the truck, not your family.
Posted via Mobile Device
I appreciate this. I know darn well I won't get the money out of it, which makes it that much more compelling to hang on to it. But, like you guys are pointing out, it's not conducive to happy family life right now by just sitting there. Hell, even if it were running my wife wouldn't want to drive it if she needed to give me her car with the baby seat haha.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #8
JOJABOY

My 2¢ It doesn't cost you anything to sit in the driveway. One may find himself in need of money. But are you going to miss the truck later on and regret it?
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #9
69chevy lwb

You do what you feel is right but just think of everyone in your family who wishes they still had that one car they grew up with. is this that vehicle for you? If so dont let it go make ends meet another way even if the truck just sits covered up until its time comes
Posted via Mobile Device
69chevy lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
volksworld

it's worth about $ 1000 and i'll be over in 20 minutes to pick it up....seriously, if you're not a mechanic (and maybe if you are) a 40 yr old pickup is NOT a daily driver when a wife and kid are involved....if you have the money and a place to store it where it wont deteriorate,park it....believe me weeks turn into years and it's better to bail out when you can get top dollar than wait 3 yrs till the gas goes bad,it wont start,brakes go to the floor and tires are flat...I drove my truck for 20 years ,then started a resto when my son was born....he's in college now and it still isn't done....p.s. my herniated disc was part of the reason,it was all I could do to make a living like that,let alone play with the truck
Old 08-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
DGulliver

You didn't say why it's not running, or what all it needs to be driveable. If it needs a ton of money to be operational, I could see selling it.

But I look at it this way- there's no reason you can't use this truck, 40 years old or not- as a daily driver for yourself. Wife and kids can be in something more modern. But what would a family have done in 1972? Yep, they'd be driving it. So what if it's 40 years old? It doesn't have any computers, no O2 sensors, it's as simple as a tractor to work on, parts readily available and not too expensive. There's tons of help right here on this board should anything go wrong.

I fear that some folks are too scared or pampered or whatever it is to actually USE these trucks as transportation. And transportation is exactly all they were ever designed to be...
'96 Dodge Indy Ram Official Indy Truck
'99 Porsche 911 Carrera
DGulliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGulliver View Post
Wife and kids can be in something more modern. But what would a family have done in 1972? Yep, they'd be driving it. So what if it's 40 years old?
in 72 that truck was brand new. that family probably had an early 50s or late 40s vehicle. my mom had a 52 ford pick up in about 1972. when my first kid was born, i had a 73 montego. that sucker was over 20 yrs old, and when we could afford another vehicle we picked up a nice 79 step side 4X4. those worked until we had twins.

my point is, older vehicles are the norm for most families, but you have to have a bit of knowledge to keep them up and running. otherwise youll be paying others to do it for you, and the savings doesnt pay out anymore.

as for what i think you should do, it all depends on how attached you are to the truck. i wasnt too attached to the 79 step side, so it wasnt hard to trade it in for an astro van. it hurt when i had to sell my 61 scout because the apartment complex didnt like it sitting in the lot. hurt even more when the ex wife made me sell the impala because the driveway was crowded. the 79 cb750 is still on the back porch, despite her best efforts to get rid of it (she sold the scout while i was out of town). i told her id still have the bike long after she was gone. sell it unless you are attached to it. then, keep it but buy something a bit more reliable, and learn how to fix the truck in your spare time.
twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
hatred

I'll send ya 26 fresh $100 bills and even let ya keep it for a while before I ship it here.....

I upset whiners too....
hatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
AJLChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatred View Post
I'll send ya 26 fresh $100 bills and even let ya keep it for a while before I ship it here.....
I appreciate your kind offer, but that's far too much money for my old jalopy
Old 08-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
leddzepp

Sell it.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #16
roughedup72

Your'e in a unique situation. On one hand you could sell it because you don't have a ton of money in it, on the other hand you could keep it because you don't have a ton of money in it. I have the totally other problem, I've got a ton of money and time in mine and cant get rid of it because I may be asking too much or because just nobody is interested. Hard to say. I agree with one of the first threads, If you're not to attached, sale it, save up and buy a restored truck later on down the road after the kids have grown.
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.
roughedup72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #17
swamp rat

If your anything like me you will spend the rest of your life wishing you didn't get rid of it, in my case i can count 5 different vehicles today that i'm kicking myself in the tail for that are all classics today.

That said i'd love to have it to, probably not as much as you 10 years after you sell it..

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #18
AJLChase

This how my truck looks now

This is how it looked when I bought it

And this is the only rust-through it has. All 4 cab supports

Othar than that it's pretty straight. Has the original wood floor in it, so that needs replaced but all of the sheet metal is pretty stout. Of course it could use a paint job, but what original 67 can't?

Decisions decisions!
Old 08-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #19
swamp rat

Again, I would so love to have that truck... ;o)

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #20
67swb72klb

looks like a nice truck buddy buckets and all
Old 08-28-2013, 12:55 AM   #21
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

I wouldnt worry about it as long as its not a family heirloom, sell it if you dont use it and enjoy it. The fact that you are even considering it probably means you want to move on. There will be plenty of time (and more money)after college when things settle down a little to pick up another one later in life.

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #22
AJLChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67swb72klb View Post
looks like a nice truck buddy buckets and all
Yeah it was a one family owned vehicle. Everything was original except the hubcaps and the PO put power steering on it. Everything I took off I've kept, even the old drum brakes. Has original red carpet in it too.

The main problem I've had with it, and it's since we changed out the intake manifold, is getting it timed right. My brother in law, who just completed mechanic school, was the one helping me out with it. But, he's too busy working as a mechanic full time and dirt track racing, plus they didn't really teach them anything on how to work on the old carb setups. So, it's just been sitting there doing nothing.

I've tried to read about how to set the timing myself, but it all sounds greek to me. I'm sure if I had done it once before myself I'd understand fully what the directions in the FAQ are telling me to do.

Other than that, I've changed the plugs myself, new dist. cap, front end components, lowering kit, battery and most of the other bolt on things on my own. This is one big thing that is beyond me.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:20 AM   #23
nobolt

I bet you have 100 PM's from concerned members trying to help you.
best of luck

BTW: you could get more than you think its worth if you part it out.

"... government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. Thomas Paine

"It wasn't a lie, it was ineptitude with insufficient cover." Donald Draper (Mad Men)
nobolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #24
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

If you put it up for sale and it doesn't sell for what you want, then find somewhere inside to store it and when your ready it'll be waiting for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #25
TBONE1964
Cluster King

All I will say is don't sell it for financial reasons. I have seen a lot of people including myself sell a nice vehicle that they love to get out of dept and what happens, they loss there nice ride and they are still in dept.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote